“Best location, right on the beach, nice people; squeaky beds, small rooms but still a great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kentville on the Ocean

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Kentville on the Ocean
You added Kentville on the Ocean to your Saves list
315 Ocean Blvd, Hampton, NH   |
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Hampton
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Again a wonderful stay at the Kentville. The rooms are extremely small and the beds definitely need new mattresses!!!!!!

But the location more than makes up for the rooms lol; it is true that were it not for the location right accross the ocean, the Kentville would not be so popular and would probably receive very bad comments from some but we still love the Kentville, it's staff, the whole "feeling" of the place, its great front porch with table and rocking chairs to take in the wonderful view. A step and a hop away from the "strip" of small shops and restaurants makes it a great place for tourists.

Still wish the Kentville had a pool!!!

All in all, if the Kentville could only change their mattresses (as i'd mentionned in last year's review), it would greatly improve its rating.

Thanks again for a nice stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Methuen, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We were very disappointed with our stay at the Kentville on the Ocean. First of all, from the outside (from across the street or driving by) the inn looks very cute and quaint. However, the looks of the place are very deceiving! The lobby is way nicer than the rooms and we were quite disappointed with the cleansiness of our room. Our room smelled like an ashtray, there were burn holes in the old worn out comforter, the curtain had holes and was worn out, the lamps did not work and the metal on the lamps was rusted, there is no ironing board and the furniture looked like it came from a yard sale. In the bathroom, it had wall paper (from the early 80s) peeling and some water damage. The air conditioner was very loud and kept making an annoying noise. It was not an inviting place. They really need to invest in updating the rooms and cleaning. For $179.00 a night it was a rip off. I would have rather slepted in my car!

Stayed July 2010
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

we had an awesome trip! Stayed 3 adults and one child in one room, had an excellent rate, staff very nice, accommodating and friendly! The hotel offers all day complimentary coffee, our room had a nice sized refrigerator and freezer, also a microwave... Daily housekeeping but don't leave personal items on the bed or they will not make it! Great time overall! Plus it's an awesome location right across from the ocean and not far from the shops!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
dmm2009
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Note: I wrote this to the owners of the Inn directly and they never bothered to reply. So I have decided to make this event public.

To the Bolyea Family,

I just would like to make you aware of an situation that occurred when I stayed at your inn last week with my two young children. I normally do not complain but I felt this issue needed to be addressed because it had to do with customer service and safety.

We checked into room 36 on Tues, August 17th. The room was fine for our needs as we were just spending one night to enjoy the beach and atmosphere. Friends more familiar with Hampton suggested your property would suit my needs well.

Around 1:30am I awoke to a noise but wasn't 100% sure what it was but I had my suspicions. Again I awoke to it at 2:30am. It was the smoke detector with an old battery. From 3:45am to 4:30am the noise was unbearable and I finally decided to call the front desk when I noticed my 7 year old awake with wide eyes covering her ears. Ironically she is petrified of home fires.

My first attempt at calling was rather strange. The phone rang at least 15 times and it was clear I had woken someone up. I explained the situation and waited. No one came. Now my daughter and I are sitting up outside with my son asleep inside I tried to call a second time. This time a pair of young boys came up to check out the situation. And yes the battery was dead in the smoke detector. So the battery was removed and not replaced. So now the room was quiet but I awake because I was on a third floor multi unit dwelling without a smoke detector. I am 100% certain that this is not up to code. Even if the inn is non smoking, I noticed a burn hole in one of the blankets and burn marks of an iron left on the carpet. Accidents do happen. I'm sure a building like could go up in flames very easily and getting down those stairs would prove rather tricky.

So I decided to mention the situation to the young girl at the front desk and reminded her that room 36 needs a battery in the smoke detector. I did not even get an apology and I think that is what upset me the most about this situation.

Hopefully this note helps you fix some issues you may have with your staff about safety and customer service. Aside from spending $179 to "not sleep" in one of your rooms, this experience was the only downside to our trip to Hampton.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Massapequa Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

First we have never been to Hampton Beach before and this may be the norm for the hotel rooms in this area. But we were extremely disappointed with the size of our room, this has to be the smallest room we have ever stayed in ( and we've been to Europe.) Our front door was also our sliding balcony door and it was a huge safety issue. The lock is bascially non-functional. When in lock position the door can be opened about an inch. The wood on the sliding door is cracking around the handle. When we asked for a different room because we felt unsafe, they said they had none, and we were told that this was how all the rooms were and "this is Hampton Beach". Whatever that means.
The beds are worse than my 10 year old mattress that my 3 children use as a trampoline at home. I literally sank into the middle of the double bed, squeaking all the way.
Like I said we've never been to this town, it may be the norm. Alot of updating would make a big difference. The outside is charming.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Very nice place well located, in the quieter end of the strip but noit very far from tha action. rooms are not tha big but all equiped qith balcony. Very nice lobby and front balcony where you can watch people walking by. free coffee, hot chocolat and popcorn in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We had the pleasure to stay 2 nights at the KENTVILLE ON THE OCEAN in Hampton, NH.

We booked late so could only get a "no view" room on the ground floor but even then, our stay was wonderful. The staff at the Kentville were friendly and helpful.

The Kentville is cozy, friendly, right on the ocean and next to the tourist shops and restaurants.

The bathrooms of the lower floors need some TLC and the mattresses need to be changed, at least in our room (room "F") but we loved the place and will definitely be going back and telling friends and family about it. We will try to book early and get one of the lovely ocean front view rooms next time.

If it had a pool, it would be the best place to go!

Make sure your bring the kids' surf boards and beach umbrellas and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kentville on the Ocean? Share your experiences!