“Horrible and Distressing Experience at this hotel! Terribly maintained!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ship's Inn Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Ship's Inn Resort
You added Ship's Inn Resort to your Saves list
15 A Street, Hampton, NH 03842   |
Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Hampton
Milford, Connecticut
“Horrible and Distressing Experience at this hotel! Terribly maintained!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Ship's Inn has extremely inadequate safety & security besides being disgustingly dirty(gross rugs, comforter and bathroom) and old! My daughter, sister-in-law, niece, & I went to Ship's Inn on Aug 4, 2013. We checked in at 3pm and went out for dinner about 8pm. We had 4 pieces of luggage in the room. My suitcase was the only locked one. We returned to the room about 10:40pm to find my suitcase gone! The police were notified. The officer determined that someone must have climbed over the balcony and gone through the window, which he said was very easy to push in and pry open!! There were no safes in the room to lock your valuables! There were no signs about protecting your valuables because the hotel lacked security! I had to be forceful to get a refund since we did not want to stay there now! We returned home as I had nothing but the clothes on my back. All my clothing, as well as personal items and valuables were in my suitcase! It is a month later and nothing has been retrieved and the hotel's insurance company just informed me that their insurance policy DOES NOT COVER THEFT!! Therefore I will not receive any compensation for my loss due to this HOTEL'S NEGLIGENCE AND LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that the property is maintained properly for the guests' security and safety! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! DISGUSTING, DIRTY, POORLY MAINTAINED HOTEL! DO NOT IGNORE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS! THEY'RE ALL TRUE!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This motel has a great location, which was about the only positive about it. Don't be fooled by the brochure, which was either photographed years ago, or by a master motel "stager". From the more positive reviews, I can only surmise that perhaps there are some sections of the motel that are newer and in better repair than the section we stayed in. Parking for the room was under the first floor - I believe one reviewer said a 20 point turn was required and that's pretty close. Really should be reserved for compact cars only, if you have a van (even a small one), suv, or anything else you'll need to try and park across from a smaller vehicle if you hope to get out.

Door knob to room was very loose, not a very secure feeling and a good indication of the overall care taken to maintain the property (little or none!) as this is an obvious issue and a simple repair.

Bathroom floor has old, scratched, and mildewed linoleum. It's actually difficult to judge the state of cleanliness when everything is so poorly maintained and old - let's just say that mold is a known health issue, I am not being fussy about the decor here. The flooring needs replacing. So does the sink.

Looking for a view ? I have attached photo of the view from the room.

The drug use by staff not being addressed by owners ? Completely inappropriate. A previous reviewer mentioned the smell of marijuana. We were overwhelmed by the smell at 10 in the morning from the staff parking area under the room, and watched a staff member walk away after. Family friendly ? I don't think so.

One night was enough for us, and we moved on to Oguinquit, Maine the following day to stay in a very nice motel at comparable cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

August 16-18 2013...I just came home from the Ships inn up at hampton beach. I don't understand all the negative reviews. We had a jacuzzi suite, king bed, pull out couch, deluxe kitchen and jacuzzi tub in bathroom We stayed in the Sloop building room #43. It was me, my husband, 13 daughter and her friend. There was plenty room for us all. It was clean, everything worked. It was quite at night. The pools were clean although only one was heated but we didn't mind. The staff I interacted with were nice, friendly and helpful. It was a short walk to the beach. We had a great time and would def stay again!! IGNORE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!!!!

Simpsons
Massachusettes

Mechanicville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I know check in is not until 3 but I went in to get a parking pass was told they were in the room cleaning and would only be an hour so I went to beach and came back in an hour like I was told then again told almost finished they took my number and said they would call me so I didn't have to keep breaking up my day. At 2:30 still no call so I called them they were very rude and said they only guarantee check in for 3 however room was not ready until 4:30 and when I inquired about it the worker told me he has no control over the cleaners and I could find another place to stay if I wanted he would give me my money back. The room on top of that was not very clean and the entire place looks like it could use to be upgraded. There are so many other nicer places to stay for the same price I would not advise this place to anyone. Boardwalk Inn right down the street is very nice. The place is clean, staff is friendly and you get 15% off food in their restaurant which is awesome by the way

Somersworth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let's just start by saying I used to stay in a much more expensive property on Hampton Beach and got to a point where I just couldn't afford over $300 a night for a room the size of a closet. I decided to check out Ship's Inn because of its proximity to the beach. I found a very affordable place to stay where it's comfortable, quiet and very customer friendly.
The room I stayed in was huge, with a private balcony. My favorite part of the resort however is the roof top deck! This is a sunny, shared area with tables overlooking the beach, where you can bring your food and drinks, kick back and enjoy good times. I'm already booked for 2 nights during next month's Hampton Beach Seafood Festival and am really excited that my room has a Jacuzzi tub and a kitchen and a private deck, all for less than $200 a night! Best of all, it's only a 30-second walk to the festival!! Looking forward to staying at Ship's Inn many times to come!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We found the service to be friendly and efficient. Our room was very clean when we arrived. The carpet looked fairly new and the bathroom fixtures were recently updated in our room. The second floor was not a problem for us but could be if out of shape. Remembering you are at Hampton beach is a must. For the money it was one of the better places we have stayed. Quiet at night with the occasional smell of pot but I would expect that just about everywhere. Our family survived and I was really worried after reading a lot of the other reviews. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Keene
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two years ago (in the newer building adjacent to B street) because the hotel was close to the Main Sail Motel (where he had family staying). Two years ago our stay was nice. The room was pretty clean, though a little old. We had somewhat of an ocean view and the bed was comfortable. The jacuzzi tub was an added bonus as my husband had recently recovered from a broken leg. The only real negative was that there was no sign on the door to the balcony that said the door LOCKED from the inside automatically. My husband accidentally locked us out on the balcony with our cell phones in the room. He had to lower me off the balcony until I was 3 feet from the ground and then drop me so I could go around to let us in. I don't know what we would have done if we were older, I weighed more, I was shorter, or if either of us were handicapped. I also got pretty bruised up on the fall and ripped my dress. We should have complained but didn't.

This year we decided to go back because if locking ourselves out of our room was the worst thing that happened we could certainly avoid doing that again. We prepaid for our room for two nights ($345 with taxes).

Good points:
-When we arrived at 1 o'clock they let us check in early. The check-in is 3:00.
-The proximity to the boardwalk is nice. There is also a small convenience store right on the corner.
-The parking was plentiful though a jerk member of their staff decided to park behind us ALL day on our check-out day. We were able to get out after about a 20 point turn.
-The bed was comfortable.
-The other guests were quiet and friendly.
-Cute little barbeque area available. I wouldn't want to be in one of the rooms right next to it though.
-They gave us extra towels when requested.

BAD POINTS!:
-No elevator. We were only on the 2nd floor but we had a baby and lots of things to haul around. A very nice hotel guest helped me bring up the carriage. They should provide warning regarding this.
-The two pools were very small, crowded, and dirty.
-Other than check-in staff, we passed what I perceived to be all of their other staff (who were all under the age of 23) went to the stage on the beach and were singing and dancing and filming themselves. This was one hour after we checked in. If they spent more time cleaning the rooms prior to guest check-in instead of on this non-sense maybe the hotel would be nicer. To note, during our entire stay I did not see one person working at this hotel above the age of 23. Where was the owner/management?
-Language barriers between staff and guests.
-There should be more visible signage regarding the door to the balcony auto locking to prevent people from locking themselves out.
-The outside GLASS entrance door closest to our room was broken. It was taped together with scotch tape. Yes, scotch tape. Couldn't break out the duct tape guys?
-Our doorknob was broken so we put our valuables in the car when not in the room.
-The room smelled like old water and cigarettes.
-The stopper on the tub was removed. I used a washcloth to plug the tub so I could give my son a bath. I discovered the hard way that the stopper was removed because the tub leaked! When I felt the water on my knees I looked down and saw the tiles on the floor and noticed how discolored they were. This tub has been leaking for a while.
-The bottom of the tub was squishy and felt like you would fall through when showering, The safety bar was hanging from the tub, broken in the middle.
-The sink in the bathroom poorly drained. I think this was because it was not properly installed.
-The drywall on the ceiling in the room was wet. They must have a slow leak in the room above.
-The carpet was gross. We wore flip-flops the entire time.
-I THOUGHT the frig was fine until the milk I had just pumped that day went bad. I have a very weak sense of smell due to an old accident. I didn't notice the milk was bad until he starting to throw up and had diarrhea. My husband had smelt it at that point and determined it was all spoiled. A sick baby and 16 ounces of milk wasted. This also forced me to return to our room every few hours to nurse.
-We would have left but 1) We didn't notice most of these things until after 9 at night on our check-in day. 2) The check-in slip clearly indicates no refund will be provided unless you notify staff immediately upon entering your room that you need a refund. 3) When we woke up the next day there were no vacancies at any hotel anywhere close by. We were stuck.

We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer building if you have to stay here. I wouldn't though.