“Big Mistake” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ship's Inn Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Ship's Inn Resort
You added Ship's Inn Resort to your Saves list
15 A Street, Hampton, NH 03842   |
Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Hampton
Taunton,ma
“Big Mistake”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed here a few years ago and we were sorry we did. Upon making the reservation my husband asked if there were non-smoking rooms as he has allergies. He was told yes and that we would have a king size bed non-smoking room. Once we checked in the girl at the front desk gave us a key to our room and told us to check it out, it we didn't like it she would give us another one. That should have been a clue to us to turn around and leave but we had already payed and there were no refunds. We found the door unlocked and the most offensive odor greeted us. It smelled like a thousand people had been smoking at once. We tried to lock the door so we could go back to the office and found that the door lock was broken. That's why we found it unlocked in the first place. When we asked why we were not given a non-smoking room that told us that they don't have any. If you smoke you smoke if you don't you don't. That's what they told us, can you believe it? Since we had no where else to go we had to stay in this arm pit. The girl at the desk gave us a bunch of room keys so we could check out the other rooms to see which one we wanted, each as equally offensive as the first. We settled on an end room because it did not seem as smoky but it was right on the street so we heard cars and motorcycles all night long. Sleeping on the bed all we could smell was stale cigarette smell on the mattress. The pool they advertise was so small and dirty. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. This place is a dive.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything about this smelly flea bag motel
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

This place is a fleabag type hotel.Run down beyond belief,paint falling off ceiling,stains on bedspreads and rugs,filthy.The bathroom door had a hole in it(someone had kicked it).Room stunk of smoke,as did all our clothes when we got home.This place hasn't been renovated in years.The brochure and website pictures must have been doctored,because this place is really gross.The price was outrageous for a dump like this!Pool dirty and small,didn't look appealing at all.I would never stay here or any of the other places run by this management firm .

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — smokey smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

I would have to agree with the others. Stayed here for seafood festival 2007 and I was very unhappy. The rooms on their website are very misleading to what you get when you arrive. At this point, you are screwed. They will not give you a better room nor will you get a refund than or later in the mail. Rooms are smelly, unclean, outdated and limited frills. You have to pay for ice, beacuse this so called resort does not have ice machines, irons, and ironboards on premises.
The two heated pools look like dirty urban city Y.M.C.A pools were germs are roaming. Great location, but I could stay on the beach for that.
Don't bypass these reviews, because you will not be happy you wasted your money and valuable family time. Seafood festival is great, but truely find another hotel!!!!!
All the rooms are not worth it. Mainly the two bedroom suites and rooms that they say are suites.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everythiong
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BolyeaProperties, Manager at Ship's Inn Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2007
My name is Jeff Angold. I am submitting this review not to give you my opinion but rather my observation.

I manage Ships Inn Resort (and two other hotels on Hampton Beach). In the past I responded to a few terrible reviews of our businesses. I have yet to find a review on trip advisor that was not posted by a disgruntled customer. I will not test the intelligence of readers by saying we are 100% perfect and there are never unwanted situations that must be handled. That would just be silly and false. I can say that we are the largest provider of rooms on Hampton Beach. We have been in business for over 3 decades. We have rented to over a million hotel rooms in that time. We are a choice destination for vacationers of Hampton Beach because our product is superior to others in our market. We strive to make every experience as enjoyable as it can be. There are times when as a business we encounter a situation that requires us to refund money. We gladly do that when we determine that some negative experience was the fault of the hotel or its staff. There are times when we are at fault and those situations are handled immediately to the satisfaction of the customer. However there are times that the business is asked to refund money for situaitons that are completely out of its control. We are careful how we market our rooms. They are clean and operational rooms that offer fantastic location and extra services. They are priced to reflect their prime location to the ocean and all the beach activities. We are not the least expensive rooms on the beach but we not the most expensive either. We are good economical choice for families. When it comes to price it is very hard to compare what you get in other cities or locations with what you get in Hampton. Prices are relative to the region the hotel is located. I am in the very hard position of determining what is fair and what is not. Every customer is given the opportunity to shop around and find prices and rental agrrements (cancellation polices etc) they find agreeable to them. Over the years we have grown because the service and product we offer far exceeds the product that other nominally cheaper hotels in the area offers. We have clear policies and we enforce them equally for all customers.

To keep focused: the reviews I see on this website are from the customers that I for some reason did not extend a refund. They are lashing out in a final attempt to hurt the business. For all three hotels I manage I see a half dozen serious complaints, all from guests that did not get what they want. This is a collection of complaints compiled over a 3 year time frame. What I do not see are the reviews and thoughts of the other 20,000 satisfied guests that stayed with us. This website can be a useful tool if it was used by all and if there were a great number of responders. However the low level of complaints and that only customers with a personal agenda to seek "revenge" is alarming. As always I welcome guests to come to the beach and shop around. If you choose another hotel in the area stop in and say hi. Ask to see a room and then make a decision for yourself concerning your future visits. Word of mouth and repeat business are the driving forces for our sales. I respond to these terrible allegations only because they are so untrue and on a personal level I hate to see all the hard effort my staff makes get tarnished for a refund decision I did or did not make. Concerning these negative reviews is is always about the money and guests who simply asked for something I could not do.

I will leave you with this... Expectations are relative and for every customer that is let down in some way by some aspect of the hotel, I have a dozen that tell me how great that exact same aspect is. We are the busiest group of hotels on Hampton Beach for a reason.. I want your business but I will not trick or talk you into giving it to me. I know you are smart enough to not let individuals with an axe to grind trick or talk you out of mainking the right choice either. When you are ready come see us... and then make your own mind. We will be here.
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

I would just like to share my expierience with everyone who may consider staying at the Ships Inn Resort in NH. We arrived to a room that was extremely filthy. Smell of urine filled the room, bathroom ceiling major water stains, hole in wall above shower, peeling up floor in bathroom, and the air conditioner did not work. The pictures on the internet site are false. When we complained to the front desk we were told there was nothing that could be done to correct the situation,even though the sign read "vacancy" They refused to refund our deposit. We were told that if we followed procedures given to us we would recieve our deposit of the 1st nights stay back. We followed all the procedures and went back home. It ruined our family get away. When we arrived home we were contacted by the owner and very unprofessionally were told that ," indeed the only way we would reiceve our deposit was to take civil action". We were fooled from the minute we saw the webste for this motel and i do not recommend this place at all. The pools are dirty and very very small . The staff is not friendly and once again the rooms are FILTHY. Don't make the mistake of booking this room based on the website photos!!!! They are not the actual rooms you will be staying in!

Stayed August 2007
I regret to inform the public that I did not offer a refund to this customer.

They reserved on a day when there was no vacancy in the Ships Inn Resort. They checked into the room they reserved. It was clean and operational. They had other groups in their party and they wanted a room that was identical to that group. When we told them we could not move them they invented a long list of items and demanded a refund. We did give them all their money back except the deposit they paid. We did it this in some attempt to defuse this very confrontational guests. They had pressured a young staffer and created a scene to the point where other property manager had to be called in to help the young staffer. This guest was informed why we denied them a full refund, they were given their options (in writing). They left the room and wrot e a letter. I again denied thema refund because we had denied other guests a chance to make reservations in a room that was clean and operational and the only reason they wanted a refund was due to the location of the room based upon other rooms in the property. (they desired a better view but we do not sell rooms based on view).

This customer threated me with legal action and as our information given to them when they left states... legal action is one of their options.

We never desire to argue with customers but as a business we engage in business with customer and remove rooms from the open market based upon a customers promise to stay. We have cancellation policies that we adhere to for 10 to 12 thousand customers a year. It would be unfair of me to let a customer using aggressive and bully tactics and employing what I call consumer terrorism to demand us to change long standing policies. I have responded to the Better Business Bureau and I will fully defend our position should this customer choose legal avenues. When they choose to use threats that they would sue, and post terrible reviews everywhere if I did not give them their money back I decided to end all professional discussions. I do not negiotate our policies in the shadow of threats.

In response to the website. The pictures are accurate. The posted photos are actually of rooms before they had improvements made. We do not engage in false advertisement. It just does not make sense. I see our customers daily and I give every single customer my cell phone number at check in. I have no interest in lying to customers and spending all my time on the phone with them. This statement is an out right untruth made my this customer.

This posting is made my a customer who did not get a full refund... they are lashing out trying to fulfill their promise to drag our good reputation through the mud.

Again I offer this: Come see us when you come to the beach. We are always happy to give tours of the property and the rooms. We will be here.
Upstate, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Don't let the word "suite" mislead you. These are old, dirty dingy small rooms. The main bedroom's ac unit was so loud it shook the window. Bathroom looks like it needed a remodel 20 years ago. Kitchenette was just a bad joke. I had to make 3 phone calls to the front desk to get the fridge working on the first day here. Maid service was horrible and the entire experience was really disappointing. If I had paid $79 a night I would have still been disappointed. At $250 a night is was just plain robbery.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BolyeaProperties, Pricing rooms... at Ship's Inn Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2007
I am taking time to repsond to our pricing of Suites. This guest stayed in a 2 Bedroom Suite. It is priced at $250 a night during the summer. This is our most ECONOMICAL stay for a family. We have more expensive 2 Bedroom Suites. The difference is space and renovations.

Even though this room is $250 a night it is a very eonomical stay. We charge a flat rate for up to 6 guests. There are 2 Bedrooms, a living room with a pull out sofa, full bath, kitchenette, 2 Televisions, and are poolside. The SkipJack has a 9 foot deck in the front that is ideal for larger groups to gather on. This room is priced nearly $70 a night less than two hotel rooms. Two hotel rooms sleeping up to 6 adults can cost as much as $350 per night.

The word Suite is not meant to imply our most renovated rooms. The Suite describes a room that offers a kitchen and living room. The SkipJack is very popular because of the price and ammenities. It is not our most modern Suite and for guests that have higher expectations we offer The Schooner and SteamBoat Suites.

$250 a night for 6 people with multiple bedrooms, less than 60 feet to the ocean and all the activities is very competitive. The Suite is not new and if the hotel were to go in and make major renovations we would also have to dramatically adjust the rate. The room is clean and operational and provides a huge amount of services to our guests. This room is heavely rented because it is the best choice for large groups looking for the best deal for their money.
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I give this place a big thumbs up. Our room was one of the smaller rooms, but plenty big enough for two people. The beds were very comfortable, I believe they were pillow tops, the a/c worked great, the shower had plenty of hot water and was big enough. The rooms were clean. Just about every room has a balcony with chairs and some with tables too. The cleaning staff was very friendly, effecient and numerous.

I was with a group of people and we had four rooms, three were of a different price range, and they all were in the same condition as mine.

It has a great roof deck to sit out and relax with a view of the ocean, a nice breeze up there too. There is also cook out area with plenty of picnic tables and charcoal grills to use free of charge. A nice change from the expense of eating all the boardwalks greasy food. Might want to bring your own charcoal and lighter fluid though you can purchase it at the office.

The grounds were kept immaculate, there is a whole lot of potted flowers that were well maintained as was the whole property. A few more visible astrays would have been nice though. There was more than necessary cigarette butts thrown around due to the lack of public astrays around the property.

The walk to the beach is a minute walk away, close to the bathrooms and the stage. There is a great coffee shop right around the corner as well. Around the corner is also right dead center of all the boadwalk action. Their parking was fine.

The only slightly negative I would say is the pools could have been kept a bit cleaner, I don't think they vacuumed them everyday, the water was clean, but lots of debris floating and in the bottom. And the big pool didn't appear to be heated, and after spending some time in the ice cold ocean, a heated pool would have been nice. It was much warmer than the ocean though!

It was a bit pricey for peak season, but no different than all the others in the area. All in all, I would recommend Ships Inn and I would certainly stay there again if I visited Hampton Beach again, It was well above my expectations after reading some of the reviews of Hampton Beach in general on this board.

New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

I stayed in sept 2006 for seafood fest. We got the 2 bedroom suite. The place looks okay from the outside and the lobby is small but clean. It cost $275 a night and during the seafood fest you have to book 3 nights. They did clean the rooms every day but you wouldn't know it by looking at them. The rugs, couch , chairs and bed are all stained. The airconditioner didn't work that well (there is only one small one for the 3 rooms). The couch was a sleep sofa but it was broken ( if you don't mind sleeping on your head then its okay). The pools looked very clean and nice and the staff was very nice and helpful. This is the only place I have stayed on Hampton Beach so I can't compare it to the other hotels. The whole beach looks a little run down. Well I wont go back I will try a new place this year. Good luck if you say here!!

• Liked — The pools looked very clean and nice
  • Disliked — Dirty old stained rugs and broken furniture!!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ship's Inn Resort? Share your experiences!