“Never Again!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 43 hotels in Hampton
Rensselaer
“Never Again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Checked in in the middle of the week and the room still wasn't ready by 3.00 When we got to the room coffe maker was not there and ice bucket missing. Trash under the nightstand and dresser. (It was accesible with a vaccuum. 2 metal bars sticking out on one side of the bed.I must of hit my leg (and bruised) 10 times. It was a hit or miss on if you got packets of coffee for the next day or not. The coffee was so bad maybe it was a good idea to not leave me any. But when your paying 249.00 a nite, I want my coffee! Pool heater wasn't on. Ice machine on the floor broken, so constantly had to go to another floor. Yes they have valet parking, Rob is the only postive thing about the place. Reviewing my bill upon check out and they try to charge you $7.00 per car for parking. I could park in an overnite parking lot for 5.00! When I told them I made my reservations in January, they did remove the parking charge but still tried to get the extra 42.00 from me. They charge 10.00 a day for a microwave and Refrig each. We booked for 6 nites. The food in the resturant was good. But the waitress didn't know what the specials were and tried to charge regular price. I will gonext store to the charm of the Kentville, free popcorn, coffee, microwave and refrigerator, puzzes and a view of the ocean for half the cost. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way 1700.00 later...
Internet never worked correctly, blamed my computer but several people were complaining about it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, September 22, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to bring these items to management's attention; we only wish that we had the chance to correct these issues while you were still staying with us. Let me apologize for the problems that you experienced while at the Ashworth.

Just a little background on the hotel, we were built in 1912 and as you can imagine, updating and maintaining a hotel with our history is a continuous process and something we have taken very seriously over the last 4 years. We continue to invest in the Ashworth and feedback such as yours will help us pinpoint the highest need areas and improve the Ashworth experience for all to come.

Many Thanks,

Peter Coutis, General Manager

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Agawam, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I have been at the Ashworth several times and enjoy everytime I stay there. I prefer the rooms in the brick or older part of the Ashworth. This last time I brought my two grandsons and was thankful for the indoor pool when some rain came for one day. The dinner was wonderful and they had great pizza for the young ones. The Ashworth is the only place I stay when we go to Hampton Beach.

Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

It looks great on the web - a seaside place with character. The reality is very different. If you like cinder-block design, dark rooms, and the sound of motorcycles, this is the place for you.

Good location, very close to the beach. But also very close to a lot of traffic and other noise. It's hard to believe they can get away with charging almost $400 a night for a Motel 6 "plastic cups" type place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Colwen_Management, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments and concerns, we take all guest feedback seriously. Please be assured that these issues will be raised and addressed with the proper action. It is thanks to user feedback such as this that we are able to pinpoint what we are doing right, and what areas we need to improve on to ensure guest satisfaction on a nightly basis.

Your willingness to share is very much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again in Hampton Beach.

Regards,
Peter Coutis, GM
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

My husband and I have visited many places with our kids (13 and 12) and I've never written a review before. I have to say that I loved Ashworth by the Sea. Our suite was just as described, our view was spectacular, and the staff couldn't be more pleasant or helpful. Unfortunately for us it rained every day we were there except for one, but the kids had the indoor pool and they loved it. We enjoyed our dinners at Breakers Restaurant and breakfast at the Wharfside Coffee Shop. I'm looking forward to going back next summer. It was such a pleasure.

Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Had a nice time at the Ashworth. People at the front desk were friendly. Called for a fridge that was not in our room when we checked in and it showed up in 10 minutes. Ate at the hotel restaraunt (Breezeway?) food was ok, 1/2 priced martinis were very good but waitress was clueless. Stayed in the North tower. Room was very clean. Two complaints I have are balcony chairs were in bad shape and need to be replaced but the larger complaint is they valet your car, which I don't mind, but no one asked if we would like our bags brought to the room or worse, removed from our room at checkout. They supply a luggage cart for guests but the elevator is so small you can barely fit on it with the cart.

Eatontown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We have stayed at the Ashworth 5 or 6 times, and NEVER has it been as perfect as this visit!! I called ahead in the fervent hope we would not encounter some of the problems we have experienced in the past. Mallory, the manager on duty, assured me that this would be a "perfect" visit, and she was absolutely correct. The only thing she couldn't fix was the weather on Sunday!
Mallory was there, and checked us in, on Friday. Check-in was the fastest I have ever experienced there; the refrigerator in our room was already nice and cold, and we got precisely the room we requested. During our entire stay the room was kept impeccably clean, and we loved that housekeeping left so many "extra" towels so that we could shower again after returning from the beach. Housekeeping did a great job in other ways, too. I let the front desk know on Saturday morning that there were 5 or 6 inches of steel protruding from our beds, under the mattresses, and we had already walked into them. (Evidently, the mattresses were off kilter from previous occupants). Someone was in our room, fixing them, within 5 minutes! He had a heck of a job as he had to saw some new pieces and take both beds apart to fix them. We were relieved that it was safe again. The only down side to this event was that I think the maid who made up the room before we arrived should have informed the front desk that there was a problem in our room. In any case, it was rapidly repaired, and housekeeping was immediately sent in to clean the room and remake the beds.
We love their renovations to the bar and restaurant area. Before, we felt hemmed in at the bar, and it was a bit dreary in the entire area. Also, service WAS absolutely terrible on other visits. THIS time we give them a "10" for service AND food! In the coffee shop we were happy to see that our favorite waitress-Marie-was still working there. She is fast, friendly, and always has a smile for us. She is a real asset to them and we hope she is there everytime we visit. We ate breakfast there 3 mornings and everything was delicious. A real perk-as guests of the hotel we were given free coffee to take back to our room when we requested it.
We ate in the bar/restaurant twice and were really happy to have friendly and efficient bartenders, as we had also had previous problems in that area of the hotel. NOT this time! Tad, our bartender during our first visit, was terrific. He had just the right amount of attentiveness and friendliness without being "pushy." He made us feel more than welcome, and quickly informed me that I of course could have something I previously enjoyed there even though it wasn't on the dinner menu. We both ordered the Fish and Chips and were amazed when our dinner arrived within 10 or 12 minutes, as we had also had problems with lengthy waits on previous visits. In fact, we always received rapid, friendly service at the bar on both the occasions that we dined there. The Fish and Chips is to die for. I kid you not, and this from someone who loves haddock and had never had better haddock than in my hometown! I hate to say it, but the Ashworth's haddock was the first time I EVER had haddock even better than what I can get in my hometown! We both thought it was so delicious that we had it again on the second night! I cannot comment on the other offerings on their menu as we stuck to the haddock, but I can say that the ones we saw going by us looked delicious. During our second night Tad was not there, and I wish I could have seen the other bartender's name who waited on us, but I couldn't see it. Anyway, he also was terrific. I was also surprised that when I went to the bar during lunch time to get a pizza to bring to our room that I got it so quickly. That had been such a huge problem in the past-trying to get food in a reasonable amount of time. The Ashworth certainly has fixed that problem 100%.
From the time we walked in the front door to the time we reluctantly said good-bye, we could not have had a more relaxing or better experience than our recent three days at the Ashworth. Kudos to the entire staff, from housekeeping to waitressing, bartending, Front Desk and valet service!! This was by FAR our very best visit to your hotel and we can't WAIT to return as soon as possible!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Feeding Hills, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We loved staying at the Ashworth. The rooms were large and clean, especially the bathroom. We had a great time watching the fireworks from the Sand Bar and the kids had a ball in the pool! Breakfast is always great at Wharfside... we have eaten breakfast there for about 10 years! All around geat experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Ashworth by the Sea? Share your experiences!