“Beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Hampton
Fulton, New York
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Ashworth by the Sea is located on the Hampton Beach strip across the street from the beach. The hotel is divided into North and South towers with a sort of outside deck connecting the two on the outside and ramp connection into restaurant on the inside. Had a good time. Bar was nice, restaurant was good. Great view of the ocean. We had a room mix up, but they cleared it up and got us into a great room. Really great location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ashworth_By_The_Sea, Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear StaceyKay 76,

Thank you for your kind words and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Ashworth By The Sea.

We truly hope to see you again soon !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Marlborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Ashworth by the Sea is located on the Hampton Beach strip across the street from the beach. The hotel is divided into North and South towers with a sort of outside deck connecting the two on the outside and ramp connection into restaurant on the inside. We stayed in the North tower for two nights during the off-season.

Hotel had free valet parking. Hotel lobby is oddly shaped but well appointed. The front desk staff (make that most of the staff) appear to be quite young but did their jobs cheerfully. There is a pool somewhere in the hotel but we were not informed of it at check in. There is a full service restaurant with bar and a small coffee shop with access from inside and outside the hotel that serves breakfast and lunch. Both have limited menus-not a complaint just an observation. In the off season there isn't much else open on the HB strip.

The room had an ocean view. It was very clean with no signs of overuse, has a bathroom with a full tub/shower combination, flat screen TV with cable service, a slightly worn love seat and chair, and a tiny balcony unto which two people can squeeze themselves to sit and catch an ocean breeze. Our room had a king size bed which was comfortable. They provide 5 pillows which are slightly thin. You may need one or two more.

The walls are thin. You can hear the muffled (and sometimes not so muffled) conversations of the next door occupants. You can hear street noise however during full season I assume the air conditioner noises will block out both internal and external noise.

When there is a function you can hear the music / crowd noise in your room if you stay in the North Tower.

My biggest complaint is the sound from the toilets flushing. You CAN hear them sounding like mini jet engines taking off with every flush from every room in proximity to yours. On a slow night it is a minor irritant. On a busy night it is sometimes painful - woosh-woosh-woosh.

Rates at this hotel range up to $400. per night during the peak summer season.

Room Tip: As you face the hotel, rooms on the left are connected to the balcony between the north and south to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 2 HAVTrav4,

Thank you for your review. It is honest feedback such as yours that assists us in understanding our guests experiences to better improve our service and facility.
We are looking forward to a great 2013 Summer Season with expanded restaurant menus created by our experienced Culinary team. We will be sure to mention the location of our beautiful indoor heated pool to our guests consistently, and will gladly share your positive comments on how clean your room was with our housekeeping staff.

We truly hope to see you again soon !
Dracut, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is going to be a painful review and one that some readers might criticize, but here goes. My wife and I love the Ashworth. We've stayed there several times for long weekends generally during the off-season for the past few years because we are retired and can't afford the summer rates. We love the ocean front views from our sliding door, the indoor pool, the attached restaurant and, probably most, the entertainment.
Now, for all the times we have been there the entertainment has been provided by "DJ Dan", who plays some hip-hop, pop, oldies and standards. By the way, I do not know DJ Dan and have never spoken to him except to make a song request. The last time we were there, the beginning of February, we were surprised after an early dinner on Saturday to be told by one of the employees that DJ Dan was not appearing, but he was replaced by what she termed as "an Irish folk band". Now, people, this is the last type of music we would want to listen to or dance to on a Saturday night, even at our "advanced" age.
Being a carmudgeon I complained to "Mike", the new entertainment manager, who essentially told me "Tough!". With that attitude my wife and I made the decision to check out immediately, there was no reason for us to stay overnight if we were going to have the choice of listening to Irish folk music or watching TV in our room. At this time of year there is nothing else open at Hampton Beach.
It seems "Mike" made the point of contacting the resident manager to make sure we got charged for the night we did not stay because we did not give 48 hours notice. Understanding that this is the policy, I also understand we would not have reserved that night if we had had sufficient notice of the entertainment change. That night's charge did not show up on the bill I signed when checking out, so we had the outside hope that the Ashworth management had somehow relented. When we got our credit card bill later that same month we found out they did not relent. When I confronted management with this I got the typical corporate speak which only confirmed the attitude "Tough". So, as much as we love the Ashworth and appreciate many of the staff who work there, especially Dave in maintenance and Mr. John York, we will not be staying there any time soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Langlois,

Again, We truly apologize that you decided to check out early as you did not anticipate enjoying our live entertainment. As a long term repeat guest, we value your loyalty to the Ashworth and to our long time DJ in residence.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Warm Regards,
Earth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have been going to Hampton Beach since I was a teenager. Now that I have my own family we still make our way to Hampton Beach at least twice a year. When we're not renting a cottage during the summer, we love to stay at The Ashworth! We enjoy staying in the ocean front rooms which are very clean and cozy and have some of the best views on the beach. There are also side rooms available which also have ocean views and are just as nice. The kids really enjoy the indoor pool which is very convenient during the off season. Very clean and towels are also available. A nice place for the parents to relax while the kids have their fun. The restaurants here are also very good after a nice day at the beach or pool. My wife and I have enjoyed the prime rib and the fish and chips at Breakers and there is always something the kids will enjoy on the menu. There is also breakfast available at the Wharfside Cafe which has always been a favorite of ours. All and all the Ashworth is centrally located on Ocean Blvd and will be our go to place for years to come!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and 2 girls, 6 & 2 and I was 7 months pregnant. Upon arriving they informed us that the elevator was broken (and had been for some time, so we heard) and our room was on the third floor. There was no way that they would change our room to a first floor room. It took at least an hour for my husband to check in while I tried to keep the girls entertained. There is valet parking which was fine. They took out all our stuff and helped us carry it all up the three flights to our room. We felt obligated to give a generous tip, for the stairs, even though the elevator being broken was not our fault. The room was nice and clean, but small. We had two queen beds, it was basic. The bathroom was beautiful, but not practical for us. The sink was higher then average and My husband or myself needed to lift our girls to wash their hands. There was a small balcony with an ocean view and it overlooked the roof of the pool. A little boy waved at me and started chatting to me from down below - so not at all private! When we went to the pool it was in need of a cleaning - I can't stand hair floating in the water! I must say that the location was great. Could not be an easier walk to the beach. And from walking through the town, I don't think there's a nicer place to stay. We got a very discounted rate through Groupon and it also included food. The restaurant was very fancy and we did not want to bring the kids in and bother the couples enjoying a drink in the quiet dining room. So I ordered room service, but I thought I would go down and get it, because I'm an idiot and felt sorry for the employees. When I arrived at the time they said, I inquired about our food and they had not put the order in! So I waited with my 6 yr old for 45 min! The next time we got room service we had them bring it up. My husband made a joke when he took the food from the girl, about the 3 flights of stairs, and she said very snootily, "yeah, thanks for that!" My husband replied "it's not our fault the elevator 's broken." The last meal voucher we used in the breakfast diner. The line was out the door and we waited for an hour. When we checked out, they had charged our meals to our rooms, even though I had given in the vouchers from the Groupon deal. That took another hour to sort out. Believe it or not, after all that, if I got the same deal again (75% off aprox), and I did see it on Groupon recently, I would go back, if the elevator was working!

• Stayed June 2012
Bedford, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Loved the kindness and professionalism of your front desk staff. We especially enjoyed Thalia and Liz at the Wharfside Coffee shop. The food was amazing, especially the Cinnamon bun pancakes. They really added to our stay and were so welcoming. We highly recommend a stop to the coffee shop. A trip to the Ashworth in the winter is also a great idea.

Room Tip: If you can, get an ocean view, and don't be afraid to visit in the winter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ashworth on one of their romantic weekends. Upon arriving we were greeted with a bucket filled with a bottle of champagne and two flutes along with a single red rose, so we were off to a good start. The package also came with two dinners in their restaurant. Both entrees were delicious and the desserts were fantastic. The rooms were very clean and the employees were helpful and efficient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Atlantic Breeze Suites
#6 of 44 in Hampton
4.5 of 5 stars 33 reviews
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Hampton

Been to Ashworth by the Sea? Share your experiences!