“Better than expected” 3 of 5 stars

Description: Seafood and bbq
Hampstead, New Hampshire
“Better than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Unexpected find for the location. Haven't tried the BBQ but the fried seafood is good (not so good by the time you get home with takeout though). Fisherman's platter is great and love the selection of beers on tap! We don't like the owner's hands-on style personally because when going out to dinner we want to enjoy each other's company not spend a lot of time making small talk with the owner. I think a lot of folks may like that but it's just not for us and doesn't want to make us go back in spite of the good food.

65% Recommend
NH
“Lobster Q Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I hadn't visited this restaurant in quite some time, and the reviews were good, so I visited. I love Shrimp Scampi, and it is one of their regular menu items, so I ordered it.

Scampi is best when served with a minimum of scampi sauce, but this was not what I received at the Q. My dish looked like a bowl of soup (see photo) rather than the scampi dish I was expecting. Initially, it was quite tasty, but as the pasta "sogged" up, the flavor and my desire to finish the dish diminished. My dish was priced like a high-end restaurant, but the dish turned out to be diner food. 2-3 tables around mine seemed to be enjoy the Fisherman's Platter -- all deep fried. I will return, since it's in the neighborhood, but won't be eating the Scampi anytime soon.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Derry, New Hampshire
“Very pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Friday night, we wanted something good, Lobster Q was recommended by friends and we decided to head over to Hampstead, NH. We pulled into a strip mall and looked at each other. Really??? This is the place??? Ok, lets give it a try.
We were greeted by the owner Sean, and seated quickly. I had the pink lemonade martini and it was delicious. My husband ordered one of the tap beers that we were unfamiliar with, also very pleased with it. The food was wonderful I had fried scallops and clams, my husband had baked haddock and scallops. He requested light butter and crumbs and they prepared it perfectly. Sean came over after and gave us a sample of the a special beer they developed with a brewery complete with a bit of barbecue sauce and ribs brewed in. Sounds awful..but actually not bad. Then he came over to us with a sample of all tap beers mixed together.. NOW that was good! I would definitely recommend this restaurant. We will definitely be back. And we will bring friends with us.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, New Hampshire
“Great food, lousy service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The title says it all, we tried it three times and found it to be the same... great food with surly/inept waitresses.
Total bummer.

Visited May 2013
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Really a hidden gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stopped for lunch after a wine tasting at Zorvino Winery in nearby Sandown. Virtually all of the reviews we had read were consistently excellent and this proved to be true. As others have said, this is a hidden gem. It is a very casual location to enjoy excellent food and service. Our server was helpful, efficient and fun. Our food selections covered all areas of the menu and all were excellent. Sean, the owner stopped by the table and, when he learned that we had not tried the Clam Chowder, brought us all samples (it was excellent). Finally, the beer and wine selection made it a 'complete' experience.

• Visited May 2013