“Smoky Lobby, clean but outdated rooms.” 3 of 5 stars

Northern Peak Motor Inn
289 Main Street, Gorham, NH 03581   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Colorado
“Smoky Lobby, clean but outdated rooms.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The lobby smelled full of smoke. Whomever works there must always smoke indoors all day. Rooms were outdated but clean. My non-smoking room was good. Walls are dark so it has a ‘dark’ feel to it. Hard to find a place to plug in charger/laptop. Good location for the area.

Just a simple lock; no bolt/chain to lock/close door and no "Do Not Disturb" sigh available. Cleaning crew attempted getting into the room prior to me checking out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mebane, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The first thing we noticed was no pool. Covered over with concrete. The receptionist was sweet, yet technologically inept. The room size was ok, has a fridge, tiny shower/toilet space. The worst part was the creaky floors. I felt so bad for the people below me!!!! We tried to be quiet, but no matter how tippy-toed we walked, it was LOUD. Beds were not comfy. The location is AWESOME. Very close to lots of wonderful things... Mt. Washington, trails, etc,right on the main road. For 4th of July there was a big festival nearby and we think there was a parade, but didn't stick around to see it. We got a discount from the receptionist for the restaurant nextdoor...can't remember the name but my husband suffered from food poisoning from the fisherman's stew.

Room Tip: second floor, or bring earplugs!!, close to the office since there is a good amount of traffic on th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lowell, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My friends and I were doing a traverse of the Presidential trails, and needed a cheap, clean place to stay that was near the start. We got exactly what we wanted. The room was under 100 dollars, was very clean, and about 15 minutes away from the Appalachian trail head. The staff was very accommodating, and left the key in the door for us, as we would be getting in late and the office would be closed. I would recommend calling ahead if you plan on checking in after nine, as we did. Checkout was fast and easy.

My one complaint is that the beds weren't very comfortable. However, considering that we just wanted a bed for one quick night, I'm not really going to fault the motel for that. I would recommend this place for hikers wanting to get a quick start on the trail the next morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tupper Lake, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Overall: Cheap, clean beds, nice staff, but in a dire need of renovation! I will come back if the place gets a significant overhaul.

In detail.
Pros:
-cheap
-close to the mountains, still you`ll need to drive to the parks though.
-staff were all nice people
-bed sheets were clean. I was not suspicious to go to bed.
-you can get serviced in French (yes, dear Canadians!)

Cons:
-outdated. The appearance of this motel is not flattering at all. The facade, the doors, windows, furniture, ceilings, lights... everything looks like it hasn`t been changed for many years.
-floor was not quite clean. I took off my shoes for a while and when I looked at my socks after, they had got a lot darker in color. Once again the staff seem to try to do a good job, I saw them cleaning and vacuuming before I left but even their vacuum cleaner was so ancient, I could not be easily persuaded it still had any suction.
-Bathtub had some marks, I don`t know whether they were stains caused by prolonged use and I decided not to investigate. Just decided that that day I will not shower.

Overall I stayed here once, but I am coming back only when the owners do some major renovations.True, among all motels in that town this one looked more or less OK. The whole town has that underdeveloped look and there was nothing that was obviously way better than this motel, I can give it that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We didn't have much choice either... but we probably should have kept driving. They haven't touched the rooms since 1975. Hopefully they've changed the sheets since then, but I'm not sure. Dirty carpet, dirty bathroom.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
LONG ISLAND, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife and I stay here almost every summer. It's rooms are dated but it is clean, comfortable and the staff is great! It's a good location for exploring the White Mountains and the Great North Woods Region. Next door is an excellent restaurant called J's Corner . I highly recommend the Pig's Ear Brown Ale on tap.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Northern Peak Motor Inn? Share your experiences!