“OK - but pricey” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Chowder, Sandwiches
Belmont, New Hampshire
“OK - but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is a seasonal drive-up style ice cream bar/restaurant. You know the type, walk up to the window, place your order and wait for your number to be called. There is air-conditioned inside seating, picnic table seating outside and a few benches to sit on while eating your ice cream cone. For food they have fried seafood, hamburgers, hot dogs and other fast food fare.

The food is average for that style food, but it is quite pricey. For the fried seafood, you can get the same meal in a nice sit-down restaurant in the area for the same price, if not less. The non-fried foods were more reasonably priced, about average for the area. On this visit, I chose their special of a pulled pork sandwich with a side of baked beans. The sandwich was hot and good. The beans were mediocre, I didn't bother to finish them. My wife had a Greek salad that she felt was about what you could get a the local pizza place. The serving were fairly large both with our meals and others that I saw coming out of the window.

This is a place that caters to tourists. I live in the area and only go there about once each summer. If you have the urge for fried seafood, in this type of setting and don't mind the prices this is an OK place to stop. You won't be thrilled but you won't be unhappy either.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
NH
“The owner personally made my 5yo feel bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have been here several times but after today, we will not be returning. The last 2 visits (both this season) have provided a list of complaints from order errors, lack of customer service and actual eye-rolling from employees but today the owner on 2 separate occasions made my well behaved 5yo feel badly (once for having her hand on the counter and again for having asked for the wrong size take home container!). When some of our complaints were voiced, the woman claimed to be the owner and implied that we shouldn't have any complaints if the food was good. We were told that we didn't need to ever come back. After leaving, my 5yo said that she needed to use the potty but that she "never want to see that mean lady again" and had to be coaxed back in to use the restroom. Apparently not family friendly.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Meredith, New Hampshire
“Good summer dairy bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Sawyer's makes their own ice cream and it is very good. They may have a special flavor or two when you visit. The rest of the fare is average but fine.

Visited July 2012
ALTON BAY
“Fast food and ice cream”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Sawyer's is known for its ice cream, but they offer many fast food type items. Everything I have eaten there has been good, but it is a bit pricey if you take your family there. Plenty of tables inside and outside in the summer. Seasonal, so don't head up in the winter months.

Marshfield, Massachusetts
“Must Stop”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have been traveling between Boston and Gilford for years. For years, Sawyers has been a must stop. My visit to the Lakes region would not be complete without a stop at Sawyers for a lobster roll. Great lobster rolls. My BF usually will get a chicken salad and my friend loves the chicken salad. Reminiscent of an old country diner. They also have a dairy bar on premises. Very good ice cream. Go for it.

Visited January 2013

Been to Sawyers? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sawyers, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.