“Improvements Are In The Works” 3 of 5 stars

Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort
118 Weirs Road, PO Box 7362, Gilford, NH 03247-7362   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Gilford
kensington
“Improvements Are In The Works”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

Ok where do I begin, well I must say and agree prior to my arrival with the old managment I was def. having second thoughts especially after reading the reviews (uhhh) but as of about a month ago they are under new managment and I was extremely happy with the service that we received prior to arrival and once we got there. We stayed in a two bedroom suite bottom floor, I am used to a five star or above but this is Laconia we are talking about and your not going to find it, the room was simple and clean. Maid service was great even bringing us clean rags due to the fact that we were there for bike week in order for us to be able to wipe off our bikes. Of course we were there to have fun and fun is what we had not once did anyone ever complain about the noise level and there were six of us and I am sure we were quite loud! the pool area seemed very clean and free of people not that we opted to use it but if we had more time we def. would. We were allowed to check in early and were never rushed to check out. So if you have doubts about staying here just realize they are very set back you are not going to find granite countertops but you will find a very welcoming new management team.

• Stayed June 2006

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

We had booked a room on the recomendation of a condo owner at the Misty Harbor. It is a condo style resort. This person, who worked with my husband, said it was a great palce with friendly people. He was so wrong. I would be ashamed to own here. The staff was not friendly. There was an older woman at the desk the evening we checked in. She was rude and didn't know where our room was located. We had booked a "lake view" room but this is not on the lake but across the street. The view is blocked by another building. Then the room had a whirlpool tub that didn't work. The tile had mildew in the grout seams and on the shower curtain too. The rooms were divided by a folding wall that was broken and the seams had fallen apart. The bed was a fold down cot that folded into the wall. No box spring or foundation. The sofa bed looked as if someone had urinated in it. The mattress smelled horrible. When we complained to the person at the deks they sent in the "housekeepers". Only a staff of two people and they work together. They looked at the room and whispered to each other then told us to speak to the desk clerk. When we went to the desk the clerk said "the housekeepers said there was nothing wrong with the room so I can't give you a refund or credit". When I asked to speak to the person in charge I was told it was the head housekeeperand she was cleaning rooms at the moment. We will not go back, and will advise others to stay away also. My husband has told his co-worker about this and I hope something can be done.

• Stayed April 2006
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

It is now 10 months later, from when I visited this resort, and my problems are still not resolved with this place. This resort had charged my credit card for a stay that I never did, as they did not provide the hotel room they had promised. I have children that are asthmatic and need to be in a certain environment to avoid a hospital visit. I booked this room at the Misty Harbor in hopes of it being smoke and pet free. There were no pets, but the room was horrible. It smelled like one of those bars you might visit with wall to wall smoke. In any case, I was not provided with another room and was promised a refund, as it was THEIR MISTAKE for not providing what was promised to me. They never credited my account. So now my credit card company has been after them for the money and so has the better business bureau. They have an unsatisfactory record with the BBB, as others have complained about various things as well. You can check it out online. In any case, please save yourself some aggravation and find another place to stay when visitting the beautiful lakes region!

• Stayed June 2005
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

We stayed at the Misty Harbor Resort for the weekend of the Nextel cup race. Before booking my room I e-mailed and asked the price. The manager replied $84.00 for Thursday and then Fri., Sat. and Sun. would be $139.00. We had a change of plans and didn't get there for Thursday night. I e-mailed them well in advance to cancel (more than the 14 days prior to arrival rule that they have.) We arrived Friday night. The room was very dark and musty smelling. The carpet was also damp feeling.
The following night my sister had a shower and then I went to take one and had no hot water!!! I called the front desk and they sent the maint. man up. I had to wait over an hour for the water to heat up again. We checked out on our scheduled date but left early before the hotel clerks were in. About a week after we got home I received my Visa bill and he charged me $165.00 a night instead of the $139.00!! I have called the resort SEVERAL times and am always told he is busy and will call me back. He never has. I have made a complaint to the BBB and he wrote them back saying the charges went up because I canceled the first night and that he has had repeated conversations with me about this. He must have talked to someone else because I certainly have no memory of those conversations.
He never told me the rooms would be $165.00 a night as I have proof in my e-mail. I hope the BBB can straighten this out for me as between the deposit to hold the room and the charge for the rest of it, he owes me over $92.00 in the difference.
Stay away from this so called "resort".

• Stayed September 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2005

Arrived for check-in and the front desk attendant was very friendly and helpful. We were staying at Misty Harbor for a Saturday night so that we could attend Oktoberfest. We want to go back in the warmer months to enjoy the beautiful beach and surroundings. The people were very nice and the two bedroom unit beach side was ideal. I would surely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2005
Luxembourg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

The more I think about our three night stay (we left one night early because everyone got sick from our room) the more conflicted I get about returning to Misty Harbor.

We were in Gilford for the Timberman Tri - the Misty Harbor Resort is in PERFECT proximity for this event being about three short miles from Ellacoya State Park.

Misty Harbor has an absolutely fabulous beach area right on an idyllic cove on Winnipesauke - the kind of place you could easily spend 10 hours a day at for five straight days and NEVER want to leave.

In fact you might want to sleep there having seen your room!

I suspect most issues with this resort are tied to two of the four buildings that house guest rooms. There is a large building on the lake-side of Rte 11 that apparently houses time-share/condo suites (two bedrooms). That side of the resort seems awesome - you walk down out of the suite (lot's of floors so some rooms will have lots of stairs to deal with ... not sure if an elevator is there) and you are on the beach! What a way to vacation. I can NOT comment about those rooms but my sense is there are better than the rest of the resort.

I get a strong sense that many of these suites are used by owners during periods of time since a lot of them had "customizations" - outdoor furniture that didn't match (and some that were very nice sets), various storage boxes outside on balconies, different plants/decorations visible on the balconies.

An outsiders-in perspective left me with a very favorable impression of this building - I suspect the positive reviews on this site relate to this building.

The second smaller building is located directly across Rte 11 from the first one - I believe this houses smaller rooms - possibly the nicer one-bedroom suites? Again can't offer first hand commentary but my general sense was these are pleasant rooms, with balcony views of the lake and fairly convenient access (although you do have to contend with Rte 11 traffic).

The trouble begins, in my opinion, as you go back to the other two buildings located further away from the road. Even in the parking lot we got a sense things were a little darker and a little more damp. The third and main resort building appears nice (sure it could use paint but this is a lake-side resort in NH - I'm not expecting the Ritz!). There is a fourth building located even further back near the pool. These two buildings immediately convey a "motel feel". As a prior review noted, most of the rooms seem to be accessed via interior-open-air corridors - so they all seemed dark and musty.

These two buildings are also those plagued by mold and mildew - I say this based on other reviews and the obvious references to location (such as "next to the outdoor pool") and because we stayed in room G08 in the main building.

So, not claiming to have stayed in all 90+ rooms, and not having a major bone to pick with the owners/managers I'll say PROCEED with CAUTION!

Be VERY careful to find out where you'll be staying - avoid the motel room options (that will push you "deeper into the resort" and likely mean you're in a musty room). This of course pushes up the cost (some what dramatically) so it becomes very difficult to recommend the Misty Harbor resort. The Value/Price ratio doesn't seem favorable to me even having thought this through a bit.

So why am I conflicted? Our last impressions of Misty Harbor came while sitting on that beach! WOW - what a beach!

BOTTOM LINE - all in all - it might be worth it to try Misty Harbor if you take some care in making your reservations. Again, the view from the beach and the easy access to amenities such as local marinas, Ellacoya, Laconia, Weirs Beach and Gunstock are hard to beat.

Try to ask others for first hand accounts of stays in the two-bedroom (aka Lake-Side) building - maybe even ask Misty Harbor to give actual references you can call.

I can't trash Misty Harbor - I can validate a lot of the concerns expressed here - I can only offer some insight into the "four buildings" and my opinion that the location of your room is probably going to dictate whether you love or hate Misty Harbor.

Best regards, Tom

• Stayed August 2005
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

I took my daugher and her friend to the lake for the first time. The website pictures and brochure made the hotel seem very decent. I was disappointed when we drove up, as it seemed more run down than I expected. However, I didn't let that discourage us. I checked us into our one bedroom suite with a full kitchen, with a lake view. As soon as I opened the door to the room, it was infested with flies. Not just one or two, but at least 20. The room was hot, the air conditioner was turned off. I thought maybe that was the reason for the flies. I opened the sliders and turned the air on with hopes the flies would go away. I took the kids for a swim and we checked out the property. After an hour or so, went back to the room to find it much cooler, but still infested with the files. I proceeded to the front desk to let them know. The girl was new and had only been working there a couple weeks. She contacted the maintence person who basically mocked me telling me to close the doors! I went back to the room to wait for him to come check it out....and waited...and waited. He never came. I called the front desk to ask what was going on, she sent someone else instead who could do nothing for me. They had no other rooms available and I had to take my 2 kids to a different hotel at 10:30 at night. I had to go back 3 times to finally see the manager to credit my money. He was rude, very unhelpful, never apoligized....but did give my refund. What a nightmare. The only reason I would never go back or recommend this place is because of how they handled the situation. I should report them to the board of health is what I should do.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort? Share your experiences!