“idyllic and cosy” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Medfield, Massachusetts
“idyllic and cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just stayed at this Inn during the height of summer tourist season in July. Loved it. Visited with a family member following a long hard hike over Lafayette Ridge. The Inn was the perfect place to unwind and rest, including the lovely outdoor pool, beautiful scenic setting with horses grazing on the grounds, and comfortable authentic New England atmosphere of hewn beams and quiet corners. Loved the lending library, the basement pub (had a great ceasar salad for dinner and some fantastic drinks), the adjoining rooms (2 and 4) with shared bath and delicious, hearty breakfast. Will definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I'm going to start off by saying I'm in my 20s and a picky person. I could probably even say VERY picky. I loved this place! YES it is older (built in the 30s) but it's very clean, the bathroom is up to date, there's WiFi, nice pool and hot tub. We stayed in a "spacious" room (#27) and it was great. I can't speak for the restaurant but we ate in the pub and the food was awesome! I'm the type of person who looks in the corners for dirty and bugs because I'm always afraid there's something I'm missing but it was clean! (even the closets!) The staff was very polite and helpful. I didn't know what to expect from this place but it didn't disappoint.

I also get the heebee geebees from hotel beds but this bed was clean and very comfortable. I wish I could have taken it home!

The only con I found was yes the walls are paper thin (we could hear the kids playing in the next room). But we were on the top floor and didn't have any other issues.

Room Tip: Spacious are higher up = less noise, plus they have a couple sitting chairs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlefield, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a weekend at the Franconia Inn. I had stayed there a few times almost 15 years ago and I was excited to see if the Inn still had its charm. We were not disappointed. The room we were in (#11) was very spacious and very clean. Pool was wonderful, hot tub was great to soak in at night. I highly recommend the lobster bisque and salmon from the dinner menu! Breakfast was a typical breakfast, average. There is coffee you can help yourself to outside the dining room if you're up before the dining room opens for breakfast. There is also a lounge in the cellar where you can also have pub type food, and it has a bar as well. We went horse back riding as well. When we were there, the horse back riding tours were not taking place on Saturday, so we had to adjust our own schedule a bit to take part in that on Sunday. Be aware of that if you head up and want to do that - it may be best to call in advance of your arrival to know their schedule and make a reservation. There are also tennis courts and bicycles to use to take a ride into town. There's so much you can do just in the Franconia area, that you may never really have to or want to leave the property/town. It was a very relaxing weekend, and one of the best parts was sitting on the front porch after dinner with some wine watching the cars drive by and the guests come and go.

Bangor, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Franconia Inn for our 10th Anniversary. We did the Spring into Summer package, and we were absolutely thrilled with the experience. This package covered our room as well as dinner & breakfast for each day. We were extremely impressed with the food choices & quality (and quantity!) and the staff was great as well. I will be highly recommending the Inn to others who want a nice getaway in a beautiful location!

Room Tip: Check out their website for packages available and see if you can get one that includes the meals...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We used the recent Groupon for this inn and spent 3 nights here -- and have a lovely time. The inn is a bit dated decor-wise but it is still very comfortable. We used the bikes that are available on site to cycle into town. The hiking paths behind inn are wonderful, as is the stream that runs through the property (and it is swimmable!). Staff were warm and hospitable. All in all a great stay.

Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I came here by myself as a graduation gift to myself and I had a wonderful time! To begin with the Inn is very nice and comfortable. I came during an off season so it was very quiet and I liked it that way. There are no phones or tvs in the rooms which makes for a very remote getaway feel. Each time that I returned to the Inn from a day's adventure I felt as though I was rerturning home (it felt that cozy). Because it was during an off season at one point I was going to be the only person staying there. It was a little bit scary but I was determined to be brave. Then, lo and behold, a couple showed up!! I was very thankful. I found out they've been coming here around this time for the last 20 or some odd years! They were celebrating their anniversary. In any case, they became my buddies and we had a great time together.

The food in the Inn is INCREDIBLE!! I enjoyed every meal. The surrounding area is beautiful and the people in Franconia are very kind and friendly. At one point I biked to the village to have lunch. I stopped for a moment because I was having trouble with the seat. A kind man saw me as he was driving by. He actually pulled to the side of the road and came to help me. I was blown away by that! I had a chance to hike up the Franconia Notch to see the Gorge. I also saw The Basin--quite beautiful sites. On my last day I went horseback riding at the Franconia Stables and had a lovely ride.

All in all, I had a very enjoyable stay and highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Whether you love hiking, biking, downhill skiing, XC skiing, running, horseback riding, or just scenic drives, the Franconia Inn is perfectly situated and stocked for all. My team travels to the Inn each May for our annual training weekend. We spend all of Saturday biking and running and return to the inn for a soak in the luxurious hot tub, followed by an absolutely amazing 4-course dinner in the dining room. We then retire to the basement bar area for board games, foosball, movies, and other fun activities. Finally we crawl to our comfortable and cozy rooms for a well-deserved night of sleep. The staff are attentive and accommodating, leaving pitchers of water on our tables for easy rehydration after a day in the sunny mountains. The Inn is close to numerous hikes in the Pemigewasset Wilderness and would be a great place to relax after a long day-hike. My final piece of advice is to try the pancake special at breakfast. Both days I was there the pancakes were incredible!

Room Tip: If you're traveling as a family or a close-knit group, ask about the Cottage. The first floor h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Franconia Inn? Share your experiences!