“Poor service and ordinary food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New England
“Poor service and ordinary food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

This place has such potential, but we have dined here several times and never come away really pleased with our meals. I don't like to criticize a place based on just one visit so I waited to write this review until we had tried the Tavern several times. It just doesn't measure up to other restaurants in the area. Service was very slow although the room was not full. On one visit, I found a piece of fabric baked into the bread we were served! When I mentioned this to the waitress, she replaced the loaf and apologized as if it happened regularly. The prices are high for the quality of food. We have had a couple meals here which have been better than average, but we've had several that really disappointed. A lobster and mushroom risotto was cooked well but contained only a few small pieces of lobster and mushroom. We hear the nachos, available in the adjoining pub, are excellent, but we've never tried them as they are not on the dinner menu. On a weekend night visit, the band that was entertaining later in the evening started setting up in the dining room while we were eating. And, yes, the bathrooms are not clean. It would be wonderful if this restaurant improved on service and consistency of food because the atmosphere is very nice.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Hampton, New Hampshire
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We've been to this restaurant THREE times and the food has been superb each and everytime. My brother who is a gourmet loved it and our friends with whom we dined last night left clean plates. I ordered their "haddock in a hat" small portion and still had take home. The side salad is huge and I said I was going to split it with my husband. They brought the salad out split on two plates.
I wanted to order a glass of local wine where the waitress said it was sweet but the written discription was "crisp." She brought me a taste to try before I buy and it was a bit dry for my palate, so I ordered my standard "white zinfandel."
The tiramisu was the best I've ever had. From start to finish the meal was excellent. I now ask for the window table in the far left had corner to avoid the noise from the bar.
Plan to go again before we leave NH for the winter.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Hampshire
“Best Restaurant on the Seacoast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

After an amazing meal here on a Ssturday night we were left wondering why it wasn't more crowded. For the price, quantity, and quality, there's no place on the Sescoast that is near the Ravern. I had a huge cut of prime rib for $20 that was tender and hot and swimming in au jus. It was served with asparagus and mashed potatoes that were fantastic. My wife had chicken carbonara, and it was just as good as my prime rib. The pasta, fresh from the North End, was amazing. Like my prime rib, the portions were piping hit and huge. We were both starving walking in, but had to take half of our meal home. Our salads were also very big, extremely fresh, and had incredible dressing that tasted homemade. While the service was a tad on the slow side, the ambiance is relaxing and we were happy kicking back with drinks. While we had no room for deserts, we could tell by what we saw the Tavern excels with them as well. We left planning our next visit and wondering why people aren't lined up down the steet. The only thing I can figure is the downstairs location keep this a true hidden gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New Hampshire
“Nice place, slow service, expected a little more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

I am not sure why the service was so slow, the place did not seem too busy, but overall we had a good time. We both had soup and both were above average. I had never had baked potato soup, but I will try it the next time I see it on a menu. My wife's stuffed pork loin was very good. I had a chicken special, the portion of chicken was small, but tasty. I am pretty sure the pumpkin raviolis were frozen, the red pepper sauce was very good. My dessert came with homemade cinnamon ice cream, probably one of the best scoops of ice cream I have ever had!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
exeter
“Highly over rated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Service was excellent- Food was awful

My sweet potato and pumkin soup was luke warm with rancid sunflower/pumpkin seeds on top. The risotto was not done-disgustingly crunchy, and the cod with asparagus had one asparagus head and the rest were stems. Will never go back-

BTW-the women's bathroom was gross-had caulked around the sink over mold.