“Outstanding place to Get Away” 5 of 5 stars

Exeter Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   90 Front St, Exeter, NH 03833   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
Exeter, NH
“Outstanding place to Get Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

While we were remodeling our home in Exeter, we needed a place to stay for a few nights, and we "escaped" to the Exeter Inn. The service was excellent, food outstanding, and the wi-fi service allowed us to continue our busy lifestyle while away from home. They catered to our 4-year-old at the restaurant, and we really appreciated the special attention while our lives were in chaos. Thanks for providing a home away from home!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

When we checked in, I could sense one of the two people at the front desk looking us over--maybe because we were in casual clothes (jeans/sweats) and most people who stay here--rich people who pay $30-40k/yr for their kids to attend a high school (the nearby Phillips Exeter Academy)--don't usually wear such clothes. As we filled out our info (my car plate), the staff asked for our email (they said it was to contact us in case we left anything behind, or to email us about special offers, or something like that). My boyfriend declined, since he doesn't like getting spam or "offers," esp. from places that he's likely never to go to again (we're in Exeter, NH, remember?). More on that later.

The exterior of the inn was typical of an inn--looked like a large, well-maintained house. Inside, the lobby--from the carpeting to the decorative wall/shelf by the restaurant--looked more like an upscale hotel.

We took an elevator up to our second floor room, and the character of the hotel changed yet again, into what looked more like a nice apartment building in NYC. Polished brown wood doors open into the rooms. Our room was at the end of the hallway, in something like an alcove. Once inside, the bathroom was on the right and not "down the hall" as described on Expedia, which made me think it was to be shared with another guest. It was actually *in* the room, just on the other side of the bed.

Based on others' reviews, I expected the room to be cramped. It wasn't, really. I mean, we had two small rolling suitcases, a bookbag, duffle bag, and one or two other bags, and it was alright. Then again, we put our stuff on the oversized sofa chair and all the surface areas we weren't immediately using.

The bed had about 8 pillows on it, which made it look nice, but ultimately proved impractical as we had to toss most of them off (onto the floor; hey, no other space for them). The bed "cover" (more like a heavy comforter in an olive-colored duvet cover) was really soft, but it was too much with the other one (in a white-sheeted duvet cover) underneath it. The bed and blanket were among the most comfortable I've ever experienced.

The bathroom is blindingly bright--not hospital white, but immaculate. Until you notice the little things, of course. Like the stray hairs on the shower tiles, or the rust on the door hinges, the dust accumulated on the cotton swabs/balls container, or on the sink, or, most disturbingly, on the room doors' decorative molding. I mean, I'm not OCD about cleanliness, but when a brown door has parts of it that are white with dust, that's when I take issue. When everything else is immaculate, what dust there is becomes really noticeable and off-putting. When a place tries to convey the image of luxury and delivers instead something rough around the edges, it's disappointing and laughable (like when the "luxury" towel so described on a card in the bathroom with a bright red ribbon tied around said towel turned out not to be as soft and fluffy as even my towel at home but as rough as those in motels and, dare I say it, those used in my kitchen to wipe spills on the table.

After we checked out and had driven 20 mins to our next destination, I realized that I forgot my phone at the hotel. I called them, and the woman who answered must have been the same one who asked us for our contact info, because she said, in a patronizing tone, "You didn't leave us your contact info." (I wanted to tell her that first, we didn't leave it because we weren't likely to be back there, nothing personal; second, if we had left anyone's email address, it would have been mine, which would have been useless since I wasn't checking my email on the road anyway).

I didn't appreciate the staff person's patronizing manner, but the hotel itself was not bad. I should really email them about the cleanliness of the room, because it would have been a great experience otherwise.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We loved our stay at the Exeter Inn. We were in town for 2 nights to organize my niece's departure from the Academy there, and didn't really expect to get such a nice little getaway at the same time. I am surprised at the previous reviews that mentioned "tiny" rooms, as ours (a Standard King) was just the right size for 2, and the bed was one of the most comfortable we've ever experienced! Aside from the hideously patterned hallway/ stairway carpet (a minor complaint to be sure) we thought that the entire hotel was really beautiful and cozy. The staff was friendly, and an initial glitch with our reservations was handled with aplomb. The bartender and restaurant staff were cheery and attentive, although seemed stretched a bit thin at times. We didn't eat dinner at the restaurant but had a nice breakfast there; the home fries were truly outstanding! The free email/ printer (for boarding passes etc.) was a plus. We would stay at the Exeter Inn again, without question, if we're in the area again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Is this hotel perfect? No. Does it have its quirks? Definitely. And I'd have it no other way. The rooms are tiny, but they're comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. The remodeled baths are just super, internet is fast and strong, the staff is lovely, they have a little fitness room that serves my needs while traveling, and I can get a decent glass of wine and nice dinner downstairs. Mostly, I love that I can come here any time of year and find Russell commandeering that first chair at the bar. (I dread the day I see it empty.) I love the cookies and cider, too - nice touch. Exeter is fortunate to have this option when so many small towns do not. The only bummer is that it often sells out due to PEA reunions and events - best to plan ahead.

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

A comfortable, elegant hotel with excellent service. The room was tiny, but I was travelling alone and the storage space was more than plentiful. It was a lovely mix of antique and modern, with an ultra modern bathroom that, while tiny, was perfect, with more huge, thick towels than I could use. There was a bit of dust on the wooden blinds, however, as well as on the light bulbs, but other than that, the room was immaculate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Okay, it was 28 degrees and starting to rain/snow and we were so relieved to be inside the lobby of the Exeter Inn! But, 7 p.m. on Oct. 18th. no fire to welcome us in the lobby! No excuse from desk clerk for that. Key machine not working, no excuse again, so we had to be escorted to our room any time we needed access. The room was cold, but the heat was set at 72. We turned it up to 76 to prepare for dinner. When I opend the bathroom door the freezing temp there almost caused frost bite. Not only is there not heat in the bathrooms, at least room 28, the windows do not fit properly so there is a crack all around all 3 of our windows in our little, tiny room. We stuffed towels around the bath window, turned the shower to hot to produce steam and managed a shower. We had to sleep with the bathroom door closed and every time it was necessary to use the facilities we had to put on robes our our clothes. We reported this the night before and the morning after. There was a leak over the heating element in the bedroom so the ceiling was majorly discolored. The housekeeper does not believe in dusting, so dust mites were plentiful especially on the mirrors and flat screen tv. (that "the tv" was nice) but not many stations. The shower was very mildewy and the closet was musty and unpainted. Breakfast brought another onslaught on issues. My breakfast; sausage biscuits, gravy, fruit and hashbrowns, was served cold and only consisted of gravy and biscuits. No one every asked if breakfast was okay as there were 25 guests in the dining room and only one server! She was so rushed and overwhelmed. My husbands breakfast of berry pancakes and whipped cream came cold, minus the whipped cream and no bacon. We couldn't ask for anything as she was blinded by the number of people that had "arrived" for breakfast, while staying at the Inn. They should have realized that the night before. No management available. It probably was improved in the redo but if you don't keep it up and manage it, it will not stay in good condition. Would we stay there again? Yes, we have a son in Exeter and it is the best in town. But I give it a minus star.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

This place has been completed gutted and renovated in the past year so remember that when reading the older reviews. The restaurant in so good we drive 35 min for the food on special occassions. Please don't hesitate to stay here! You will not be disappointed. It is gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Exeter Inn? Share your experiences!