“A great piece of history” 4 of 5 stars

Exeter Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   90 Front St, Exeter, NH 03833   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
Portland, Maine
“A great piece of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Exeter Inn is a very cool place for those of us who love history, and historic hotels. I read a review below where the reviewer suggested that the wood was "just old" because it had not been refinished and that the place smelled of something that they could not identify. This, even though they claimed to love historical places. For starters, the place is amazing - having much of its original design and historical features. It's really awesome that they have cleaned up, but not refinished the old wood. It's gorgeous and original. In regards to the smell. That's wood burning in the fireplace. Apparently these fans of history are used to gas conversions.

Anyway, we arrived in frigid temperatures with slight flurries. The lobby was warm - a fire in the fireplace of the sitting room near the front desk. We left soon after checking to do our thing around Exeter, a really neat and historical New England town. We came back after dinner and had a wonderful evening with our children in our room. We had rented the fireplace suite. There is something amazing about having a real fire in the fireplace of your room. This suite is configured as when constructed and was originally two rooms with a shared bath. Lot's of closet space and the bathroom, while freshly renovated, is a terrific mix of original fixtures and modern comfort.

The staff was mostly wonderful, although there were a few personalities that should have been better trained. I'm not sure I have ever not been asked how my stay was on checkout. Unlike the woman at check in, this woman was pretty indifferent. She was the exception though, as many employees seemed proud to work there and interested to share some of the history of the inn.

The restaurant and bar is well done. A modern twist in a historical space. Very pretty although the only meal we ate was the continental breakfast. I'm sure that this does not qualify as having eaten at Epoch. The menu looks terrific, and for what it's worth, we found the continental breakfast to be a terrific value.

If you truly love historic inns, this place is worth your time when visiting Exeter.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Maryland USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently stayed in room 208. A king suite with fireplace and sitting room with 2 32" TV's. Heat worked fine, bed was comfortable and water pressure and warm water worked great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Reasonably $$ continental breakfast. Internet worked well. Had an elevator at the property. Plenty of parking.
No complaints here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Inn the second week in January. After reading reviews I was a little concern about it, but I was pleasantly surprise. We had a king room in the third floor. The room wasn't huge but it wasn't too small. The bed was comfortable and we really enjoy the cookies. A few negatives have to be there was no tub just a shower and sound proofing wasn't the best, but considering it is an old building it wasn't terrible. One thing that did surprise me was the front desk agent was sitting down the whole time during check in we couldn't see her face behind the tall desk. I don't mind them being seated, but they should stand when checking inn guest. Some of the room furniture like the chair and the carpet could use a shampoo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is the email I sent the manager:

I arrived from Los Angeles to your inn on the evening of Friday, January 4th at about 10:00PM with my husband and two teenagers. We had two rooms; fireplace king and queen double.

Never before have I felt so unwelcome by a reception person. The girl at the desk was simply rude. She offered no explanation of hotel services, and when I asked her if our room had all the necessary needs to build a fire she replied that it did and that I should make sure I opened the flume. When I asked about breakfast her answer was that we needed to pay for breakfast and that there was a restaurant. What?!

Upon entering the room - there was no wood or kindling and the old, burnt wood and ashes had not been removed from the fireplace.

After such a terrible experience, I will not look to your inn as a place to stay, nor will I recommend it to my friends.

I filled out a comment card when we checked out and asked the receptionist to please have the manager ring me --- I never received a phone call.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience. We appreciate the time guests like you take and take the positive as well as constructive criticism very seriously. We value your feedback – all feedback. My apologies for any delay in responding to your phone call/comment card. For some personal reasons, I have not been in the office but since have reviewed your comments in great detail and have followed up with the appropriate staff members, personally. These are not acceptable levels of service to us. I must say, in reviewing your comments, our staff service by and large does not typically get reviews such as this. We have been honored to receive 4 –circles by Trip Advisor travelers and awarded the Certificate of Excellence in 2012 and clearly we did not live up to our own standards and high expectations of delivering gracious service in a few key service points.

Nevertheless, we are very disappointed and know we are more than capable of delivering a superior service experience. Once again thank you for your comments.

James Hocking
Scarsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This a lovely old building with rooms that have been recently updated. The room was large with a couch and chairs so you did not have to sit on the bed to watch TV. We went to the quaint little bar for a drink and had a delicious breakfast the next morning in the resturant. The staff were all friendly and helpful. This is our second stay at this hotel and we would definitly go back. It was so relaxing to sit by the fireplace in the morning and read the news paper.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors as the first floor rooms are on street level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with this forum. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to accommodating you again.

Have a happy holidays!

James P. Hocking
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

In the last year I have stayed at the Exeter Inn four times for a total of 13 nights. I am going back this month for another 4 night stay. It is a charming, fabulous inn!

I have stayed in rooms ranging from the small junior queen room to a suite. All are clean and have modern, brightly lit bathrooms with a good selection of amenities. Epoch Restaurant offers a fine menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner in a comfortable, exposed brick setting.

I have read several negative on-line reviews, but I strongly disagree with them. Do not expect a big box hotel. This is an inn. It was built in 1932 and retains its old world charm.

The front desk employees have always been polite and accommodating. Once I was checking out at 4 am to catch a flight at Logan and the front desk employee handed me my printed receipt and a hot cup of coffee on my way out the door. I will continue to be a frequent guest at the Exeter Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Hello Patty,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. I appreciate your repeat business and I am very happy to hear that you enjoy our accommodations. Please feel free to ask for me during your next visit as I would be delighted to meet you and would also like to treat you to a complimentary beverage in our lounge if you would like.

Thank you.

James Hocking
Idyllwild, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just returned from a New England road trip and our very first stop was this charming inn. We were there for two nights and found it charming and perfectly satisfactory. A real plus was the on site restaurant, Epoch. I will review that separately, however. We had none of the problems discussed in the other reviews. We were on the third floor, but the elevator worked perfectly. We loved our bathroom, very modern, but with a round window that we adored. My husband and I travel frequently, choose our lodgings carefully - we were not disappointed with the Exeter Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the online community. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I invite you to join our mailing list so if you ever visit the area again you can take advantage of our seasonal promotions. I'm looking forward to reading your Epoch review. Thank you again.
J. Hocking

Been to Exeter Inn? Share your experiences!