“don't waste your time!!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Lyme, New Hampshire
“don't waste your time!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I chose this restaurant as one of the only ones open on a Sunday evening. BAD choice!
First of all, when I went in and sat down, the dining room was not open, only the lounge. I knew I was in trouble when the owner (?) called me honey and then when she brought the menu, it was either honey, or dear. I abhor these terms of endearment when in a restaurant other than down south where it is the culture. I didnt say anything, which is unusual for me! There was this small SMELLY dog wandering around the lounge and when I got my food, it came over and parked itself right in front of my table looking for a handout.
There were some locals in there drinking, and as soon as I got my food they went to the pool table which was about 10 feet from my table and racked up and started playing pool. Certainly added to the ambience! When I got my salad, it was cut up iceburg lettuce with some of the leaves rusted.
I asked the owner if the meatloaf was home made and she said yes it was her recipe. Having grown up in Vermont and knowing what Real meatloaf should taste like, I was looking forward to it. When it arrived, it was black on the ends of it. It was also tough. I asked for the gravy on the side, and maybe I should have asked for the gravy on it instead! The "gravy" was just beef base in water thicked with corn starch. (I am a retired chef and know when gravy is just beef base)! The only redeemable part of the meal was the baked potato.
I read some other reviews remarking about the dog. How can a restaurant get away with having a smelly dog in the same room as food is served. Having been a chef in New Hampshire for 15 years, I know the sanitation rules, and dogs ARE NOT ALLOWED IN AREAS WHERE FOOD IS SERVED (NH HB 1417 allows COMPANION dogs in certain parts of restaurants). I will never go back to this restaurant and if anyone were to ask would tell them to eat there at their own risk!

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Hull
“I found the Bull Moose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

After 2 attempts to find the Bull Moose while out snowmobiling in the area we finally found it and I have to say it was worth the wait! Food was delicious and the atmosphere was rustic and cabin like. Our family unfortunately arrived at the same time for lunch as a bunch of other snowmobilers so the service was understandably a bit slow but this won't stop us from heading back next year when we hit the trails.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
NORTH CHELMSFORD
“A great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I had rented a cabin for a long weekend and were looking for a place to go for lunch. The owner of the cabin had recommended Bull Moose so we gave it a try. The food was delicious! I was so excited to see handcut fries on the menu! Though the food and service was fantastic, the reason we went back for supper the next night was "Flash." The owner's bulldog walks around the restaurant greeting customers and enjoying the attention that his handsome face gets him. I wish we had a spot like this where we live!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New Hampshire
“I love it up north”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been to Bull Moose Many times to eat and drink. I have never had a bad meal. The seafood chowder is the best I have ever had , and I have had many different seafood chowders. The onion soup is excellent , a little on the sweet side. The atmosphere is campy, cabiny , which when I go north, that is what I want - far away from the maddening crowd. The owner is always very helpful to us and as far as the the dog goes - he is part of the atmosphere. He is a sweet heart. So it is a north woods welcome, and that is that.

The only thing I miss is that the previous owners had moose horns on the beams. They took then all with them. Wish there was a bit more comfy atmosphere via decor.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newport, Rhode Island
“this place is bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

if you have any palate at all avoid this place. food is barely average and service is just stupid. the only and i mean only redeeming quality is the onion rings... really ? just a sad logger bar with junk leaning against the walls.

• Visited October 2012