“Very enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durham
Vero Beach, Florida
“Very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We picked the TCI over chain hotels in Portsmouth and we’re glad we did. The location is very close to downtown Durham but set upon a hill at the end of a long driveway. For that reason, it’s peaceful and quiet, plus we felt we didn’t have to worry about leaving our luggage in the car. As we were only staying one night, we’d packed overnight bags so we could leave the big suitcases in the car. This place is very safe indeed.
The TCI is a charming place, full of history as you can read on their website. The gardens are delightful and no doubt make a great location for weddings. We enjoyed the décor and the four-poster bed. We were in room 21 which included a small sofa and big desk. There were plenty of lamps in what would otherwise have been a dark room and, despite it being an older property, I didn’t have to go searching for electrical outlets.
Breakfast was included and presented several offerings. Eggs cooked with tomatoes and green beans; potatoes, French toast, sausage, bacon, pastries and fresh fruit.
If we’re ever back in the area, we’ll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed overnight. I usually have trouble sleeping away from home, but I loved my room and slept like a rock! Any creakiness just seemed natural and I had no problem. Did get a migraine from all the compact fluorescents, however... I forgot to request them to be changed out when I reserved or bring one of my own. The staff were great.. very friendly and helpful. I've been here before and have experienced lunch and dinner in the outdoor area. The food and service was fabulous. Can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
South River, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were searching for a nice place for one night. We found Three Chimneys in Durham, NH, about 15-20 minutes from Portsmouth. We booked our night directly through Three Chimneys.

We arrived the B&B very late, at about 8:45pm after driving through traffic from Central Jersey. The first thing we did was head downstairs to the ffrost Sawyer Tavern. The barkeep was fantastic in serving hot coffee and a offerings of delicious desserts. I didn't get the barkeep's name but she was very, very personable and offered lots of fun tidbits about the history of Three Chimneys.

The Inn itself is very charming and clean. We had room#8 on the third floor. It does have slanted roof/walls, and despite trying to be careful, we bumped our heads on the slanted walls. Honestly, I was hoping that the Inn would offer us a complimentary upgrade as they had vacancies. Rooms #7 and #8 are on the third floor and have the slanted walls/roof. So for this reason, I'd recommend staying in the other rooms to avoid bumping your head. We were the only ones on the 3rd floor so no disruptions from other patrons. Our queen bed was on the firm side so we slept quite well. The heavy comforters and sheets were squeaky clean. The private bath, equipped only with a stand-alone shower, was large and clean.

I understand that a lot of weddings are held here due to the beauty of the grounds and quaint atmosphere of the Inn.

Breakfast, included in the room rate, was delicious. My bf had an omelet, while I had the French toast. The staff was very nice.

Overall, I would recommend Three Chimneys B&B.

Room Tip: avoid rooms #7 and #8 due to the slanted walls/roof
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We only stayed one night, but had a lovely evening and morning at the inn. The grounds were quiet and there was lots of parking available. We arrived for a Sunday night stay and were given a complimentary upgrade. All staff members we encountered were very nice. The room was charming with a modern bathroom and the free breakfast was delicious and served in the tavern. Definitely would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The Three Chimneys Inn is one of the oldest buildings in town and it is rich with history. The property dates back centuries and still maintains the charm of past eras. Our room was very comfortable, with a big bed and nice view from the window. Everything was very clean and the staff was very nice and accommodating. Breakfast was delicious and is included in the stay. This part of New Hampshire is very beautiful and lush. Definitely worth a stay in this area! Durham is just 15 minutes from Portsmouth, NH to the east, and about 15 minutes from several antique shops to the west. New Hampshire is a sales-tax-free state so shopping here saves you some money. This inn is a great place to stay if you are in the area whether it be for shopping or enjoying the scenery and colonial history.

Room Tip: Check the photos of each room on their website.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here while on business and I was very happy that I did. The service was excellent and the Inn was beautiful. It was delightful to walk around the beautiful grounds. We ate on the terrace for supper and it was amazing. The wait staff could not have been more friendly. We had breakfast in the screen porch and again it was perfect.
I had room 3. It has a lovely 4 poster bed and fireplace(not working but charming) . I would return to this Inn again and would not hesitate to recommend it to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Charming old inn away from the busy cities. We found this to be a nice place to stay. Staff is very pleasant. The room was comfortable. Not sure what the decor is that, Is why I say eclectic. It was an Edwardian Room but had checked curtains along with tapestry, also a Noahs Ark tapestry (primitive art). One other oddity was a stencil around the room which did not go with the theme. Some of us just have to match. Over all the room was clean and very comfortable. We had dinner here and it was delicious! Breakfast was just as good. A nice place to stay when in the area.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Three Chimneys Inn? Share your experiences!