“Has gone downhill in last 5 years.” 1 of 5 stars

Three Chimneys Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Newmarket Road, Durham, NH 03824   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durham
Nashville
“Has gone downhill in last 5 years.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I made reservations for this past weekend, Sept 20-23, 2012 since I was told there was a wedding the following weekend and no openings. The reservation person evidently got her dates reversed because the wedding was this past weekend while we were there. Evidently we were the only non-wedding guests. The wedding party arived Fri. night and partied all throughout the night. The wedding took place on Sat. early evening with a reception in the courtyard with an open bar. At midnight they had a send off of the newlyweds with a very loud sparkler event below our window. About an hour later the attendees decided to go to bed, sort of, after conversing on the halls and stairwells for an hour or so.
Our room was on the corner overlooking the front door on one side and the courtyard on the other. The central air was broken in our room so we had to have windows open. All of the wedding events were right below one of our windows. Everyone was very loud.
We had a room in the inn this time and it was not in very good repair. The bed was worn out in that we sunk into the middle of it. The bathroom door wouldn't latch, the door on the large piece of furniture that housed the TV, coffee maker etc. was coming off it's hinges. I understand being older and having character but most things in the room were just old and worn out. When I told the front desk about not being able to sleep for 2 out of the 3 nights because of the wedding, they didn't seem to care and said "they were a little loud".
We came for our Anniversary, since we had honeymooned there and had been back for our 5th and now our 10th. We don't plan on going back. The only redeeming value was the Frostt Tavern in the basement. The food and service were excellent.
We DON'T plan on coming back.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms in the main Inn.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
South Berwick, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

What a nightmare. They are certainly good at sales-the place sucks you in with it's beautiful gardens and lovely rooms; however, you quickly learn that managment has no idea what they are doing. I booked my wedding over a year and half in advance. Paid for rooms for my bridal party over six months in advance-paid in full! I picked specific rooms in the guest house to allow my whole party to be together and in the instance that a guest who was not part of the wedding wanted a room we would not disturb them. My family/friends took every room but three. Yet the night before the wedding I discovered they had moved several groomsmen and a bridesmaid into the main house without letting me know. The woman at the desk helped me switch two of htem-but the whole process was horrifiying-not to mention completly unnecessary! The day of the wedding I was told the guest who stayed in the bride/grooms room the night before wanted to stay so they wanted to move the bride-the bride! While waiting to speak to managment a waitress began to scold my parents and I, no one was speaking to her and we had never met her before. She then pointed out that she knew what we had gone through from other staff members-clearly they have a gossiping problem amongst staff. After much argument and explaing our pure disguest and disappointment they agreed to move the couple and leave the bride and groom HOWEVER, while the rude waitress (sara) was helping the guests move they shouted rude comments at us-clearly a very unprofessional staff. Not to mention since the guest was rude to us I can only imagine what they told him. This was just all the day of and day before the wedding. there was much drama beforehand. Pauline means well (she is the banquet head) and I do believe she is a nice person-but she cannot do her job. She has horrible communication skills and is not organized in any way! Months before the wedding when discussing the weather circumstances things got confusing (because of her inability to speak clearly) so I asked for her boss' number to which she told me "She doesn't want to hear from you." Unbelieveable. I encourage every bride to stay away-which is unfortunate. Because as rough as this all was the lower staff is truely great. Cassie does the actual weddings the night of and she is amazing!! Nicole (pauline's assistant-yet should be her boss) is also fabulous! The two of them could find a much better buisness to work for!

Good Luck!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique which is nice-but the beds are horribly uncomfortable and since they are so lar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I met four of my friends from all over the country and Canada at The Three Chimneys Inn for a reunion of our musical group after nearly 40 years. The rooms are gorgeous with canopy beds and period furniture very comfortable and extremely reasonable. But what was truly wonderful were the beautiful grounds and gardens that you are free to wander and a staff that could not be more friendly or accommodating. The breakfast was wonderful and the dinner gourmet. We wandered the grounds playing our guitars and singing and just visiting like we were at the home of friends. I would recommend The Three Chimneys for a quick getaway for people in the area or a great base for touring the nearby coast of New Hampshire and southern Maine.

Room Tip: Any room is perfect.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

i was pleasantly surprised the moment i saw my WONDERFUL room at three chimneys inn - spacious and charming with GREAT furnishings. the inn was beautifully restored with attention to maintaining so many original architectural features - beams, flooring, etc ... dinner in the restaurant was very good and live music created a wonderful atmosphere. breakfast was repetiive and somewhat unimaginative although the french toast was fabulous and chef was kind enought to accommodate my request for a cooked vegetable ...!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cape Cod Ma.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We arrived at the end of a long rainy day and were instantly cheered by the beautiful grounds and buildings. Our very large room was more than we could hope for...commodious, beautifully furnished and decorated with king 4 poster bed, fireplace, writing desk, easy chairs, etc. We pulled out our scrabble game, bottle of wine and had a lovely evening before going to sleep in such a comfortable bed. Every amenity was provided and the buffet breakfast was delicious and generous. This is truly a ten plus and one of the finest places we have ever stayed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Three Chimneys Inn following a friend's Baby Shower on 14Jul2012, and if in the area this will be a definite repeat! I'd say outside of the Albergo Allegria in New York, this was one of the cosiest inns I've had the chance to visit and a likely repeat if we're in the area again!

Like the reviewer before me, I also stayed in Room 8, which is a nice sized room on the top floor of the inn and features a batroom with a queen sized bed and a shower. We arrived relatively late to the inn and were greeted by the inn keeper (as well as a new bride with her family and party coming from the banquet area of the inn). After a quick congrats, the innkeeper took us immediately to our room, and brought us an ice bucket a few moments later at our request. The room was clean, and the wood beams, wide wood-planked floors and paneled walls, and furnishings took you back in time. My sleep was comfortable and I was completely refreshed. Unlike some of the other testimonials, we did not have issues with noise from other guests or rooms. I will agree with another guest who commented about the positioning of the air conditioning vents at the bed, but on this brutally hot day the room stayed comfortable through the night.

We unfortunately didn't get to partake of dinner at the tavern.... but we did make breakfast, and I'd say the experience was just OK that Sunday morning in the form of an in-and-out buffet. Following breakfast and prior to check-out, my wife and I enjoyed a stroll through the grounds. Check-out went smoothly.

I do like to take time in my reviews to give future prospective guests, and even the Inn, some constructive musings, as well as look back at what others have had to say (good and bad), and add my $0.02 where I can. Some thoughts:

I think firstly, consider the content of the Inn's website before booking or weighing a review against the inn. Weddings and parties are a staple at the inn... the grounds and facility are perfectly suited for it! So odds are if you're booking a room on a weekend during peak season an event will be hosted.... and it might be best to call ahead and see if this grand lady will be hosting an event. Maybe the inn on a given weekend isn't for you (although as mentioned earlier we had no issues on this wedding night). Secondly, amenities are clearly posted on th websiteso you are forewarned as to what is and is not available for the guests. That beiung said, I'll admit a guest refrigerator (even if communal) would be a nice addition to the inn. Also, consider the age of the building in booking. Room 8 on the third floor actually takes a careful climb up the stairs just from the building having shifted over the past 300+ years. Creaks and squeaks are bound to be a typical issue.... I was personally too in awe of the 16"(?) floor planks and the historic charm of the place. I'll agree with other posters regarding the high, firm beds. It was no issue for us since we have a high bed at home, but this could certainly be an issue for some. For the inn's consideration, if you substitute your buffet for a small fixed menu served hot off the skillet/oven... I think it'd give a real exclamation point to the stay!

All-in-all, would love to come again for a 2-night stay to really enjoy the place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed in Room 8 (top of the stairs). Room was clean, well-maintained, and cozy without being too small for two. Large and clean bathroom, etc.

Staff was great, friendly, helpful, without being overbearing. Dinner was very nice (with 3 locations (cozy bar, classic dining room, outdoor patio), all same menu), The tavern is clearly one of very few decent _adult_ hangouts in otherwise pretty boring and university-centric Durham.

Room Tip: Rooms 7 and 8 are nice and cozy, good for 2 and recommended. However, be aware they are up a bunch...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
threechimneysinn, Manager at Three Chimneys Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you very much, Sir. We hope to see you again.

Been to Three Chimneys Inn? Share your experiences!