“Great Historic Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durham
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Great Historic Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed in the full suite that had a king and queen beds. Great sitting area. Incredibly comfortable, homey and well appointed. We plan to visit once again.

Service was great. They were very attentive.

Restuarant was terrific! Great comfort food. Verywellprepared with a nice presentation.

Room Tip: The website has a really nice photo gallery to view all the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Quincy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I bumped into this place since I had very short time and didn’t find any other place for new years and a rainy weekend.
Obviously was cold season and since this place is very old there isn’t any insulation and place was cold. We asked front desk for additional comforter/blanket but instead we got only one “summer blanket” and that was all they had. Also central heating system was blowing cold air entire night so nothing comforting here.
Room was nice but very small, tv was in huge closet and in very bad angle to bed.
Fire place was just for show and they wouldn’t turn it on for sake of building.
Breakfast was included in our package (about 160 for room and like 40 for breakfast) in very nice room 2 floors down. Environment and music was fine, but our waitress was way too grumpy. We had to move out to different room since my wife had headache and our waitress wasn’t happy to help us move there and showed this as much as she could by bringing cold water for tea, no tea bag, and etc but her manager was very kind and helpful.
In total, we didn’t enjoy staying in this place compare to money we paid for one night and service we received. I wouldn’t go back there, but maybe you get better chance

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

First thing: the restaurant/pub has been getting some slams by a number of reviewers. I beg to differ. My wife and I have used the Three Chimneys Inn as a jumping off overnight place between Manchester airport and our place in Camden, Maine, several times over the years, and the experience has always been first-rate. The rooms have been spacious, well-decorated, charming, and with a feeling of appealing antiquity. Room amenities are just fine. The restaurant menu is a compromise between a try at fine cuisine/slow food movement, on the one hand, and the wants and wishes of the locals, on the other. Most recently, dining there mid-week, a few days before this past Easter, the crowd in the public was mostly local, and convivial. Menu options were more than adequate. Wine by the glass options were good. Prices were reasonable. Wife and I split a roast chicken dish that was very nicely prepared. In all, this is the best place we've found to stay between Manchester and Portsmouth, and a good oasis to revert to after a long, grueling flight into MHT.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Check in was a breeze and girl behind the desk was very sweet and friendly. Our room was spotless and there were no strange odors of any kind at all. The room was beautiful with gorgeous furnishings and details. We had a room with a fireplace and Jacuzzi and both worked perfectly. Noise insulation was no better or no worse than any other hotel/inn that I've ever stayed at. The bed was extremely comfortable with lots of pillows. The complimentary breakfast was excellent, as was the service, and check out was also a breeze. I can't think of anything negative at all to say about this place except that I wish our stay could have been for longer than one night!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Just got back from a Sunday, Monday night stay. Like the last three reviews we have nothing but good things to say about our stay. Starting with Laurie at the front desk. She is very accomodating and extremely cheerful. She is one of the reasons that made the experience unforgettable. She actually gave us a tour of every available room in the Inn, in case we weren't happy with our room the night before. From the moment we arrived everything was done right. The dinners we had were extraordinary - complimets to the chef. The Phantom Gourmet was right when he names it the Best Inn Dining. I had the Potato Crusted Haddock - better than I could have imagined. My vegetarian wife had the Roasted Acorn Squah - AMAZING! The breakfast too was the "BEST" we've ever had at any B&B and we have done our share. Only negative was it was hard to finish : ^ ) there was so much crispy bacon and perfectly carmelized french toast, it tuly scores a 10+. The atmosphere is exactly what we expected with a mix of rustic and modern for an authentic old New England experience.

You will miss one of the BEST Inn experiences if you read beyond this review, as well as, the reviews from Sarah G - g 1 - and miningjemz. I have NOTHING to gain from writing this. I just wanted to counter the baloney that some have written by others that - almost - made us think twice about our new FAVORITE Inn. We'll be back!!!!!! Jim & Reyné Donaher - Salem, MA

Room Tip: Room #14 was perfect for us.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
threechimneysinn, Employee at Three Chimneys Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experiences. The Three Chimneys Inn is truly a hidden gem and it is getting better all the time. We'll continue to do our best every day.
Cheshire, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have never made a review on any website before, but I just had to share what a wonderful place the three chimneys inn is. The rooms are to die for. Each unique and rustic, with wide-planked wood floors, exposed beams and brick, some rooms with romantic jacuzzis and fireplaces. Not a single detail overlooked. Also, the food is excellent. When I lived in the Durham area, it was a special treat to go and enjoy an evening a their tavern, and I have been told I am somewhat of a "food-snob". I have stayed at the inn once before, and after having a great stay, made reservations for myself and my fiance to come back. 2 days before my reservation a conflict came up and the woman at the front desk told me to call back anytime to change the date, despite the cancellation policy of 1 week. These days, that kind of customer service is hard to come by. It was so refreshing I had to write this review. If you are looking for a romantic weekend getaway at a historical New England Inn, you won't be disappointed here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Durham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I couldn't help writing a review of Three Chimneys after reading some previous reviews. We have stayed, eaten, and been married at Three Chimneys and have nothing but wonderful things to say about everything. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable, the staff is always friendly and very accommodating, we've eaten there several times and have always had delicious food served in a timely manner (even during the Portsmouth/Dover Restaurant Weeks which tend to be very busy), and we had such a wonderful wedding experience I can't imagine our wedding at another location. We chose this location because friends' of ours had been married there previously and they recommended it to us. We worked with Pauline, and although we sometimes had to wait a little longer than expected for responses, everything worked out better than we hoped for (we also took into consideration that they have a pretty small staff and are always busy with event and wedding planning). The food at our wedding was so delicious, our guests still rave about it and it's been almost 2 years. Three Chimneys is absolutely one of our favorite places to visit for a meal or weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Three Chimneys Inn? Share your experiences!