“Seriously, Please don't waste your money. Please.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Durham

You added Holiday Inn Express Durham to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Durham
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824 (Formerly Hotel New Hampshire)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Durham
New York City, New York
“Seriously, Please don't waste your money. Please.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I travel 200 days out of every year, to hotels with a hot breakfast, so the Holiday Inn Express was on my radar for a stop at UNH for the business that needed to be taken care of.

Bliss made my reservation. She was very kind and knew about the area and the hotel, which impressed me. I WAS looking forward to my stay there, and was completely excited.

I arrived late, on Saturday, as I tend to do, and there was a gentleman in a car, near the door, smoking, what I noted to smell like marijuana. Skinny, wearing glasses. I checked in, thinking nothing of it, just writing it off as being a college town,

I checked in, the process was smooth. No problems. I checked into my first floor room, and it smelled like cigarettes. I ignored it, spraying some perfume, and went to the hotel lobby. To my shock, the man in the Marijuana car was at the front desk working.

In the morning, I went for breakfast and mentioned to the asian breakfast lady (I regret that I did not get her name) about the incident before, when she asked how everything was. After I told her about the incident, she rolled her eyes, and walked away. At the front desk in the morning, the clerk was too busy to assist me any further, so I left.

It was the inattentiveness of the staff in general, the fact that such behavior shouldn't be happening, the fact that on my way out the door, the hotel staff was congregated by the front door, smoking... including the breakfast attendant. It was not a good image. Major improvement is needed. I cannot stay there again. It just won't happen.

Room Tip: Choosing a good room, would be a few miles out, in Dover NH, at one of the newer hotels.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We thank you for your feedback, we like to know what we are doing well and where we can improve, as a great experience is always our number one goal. First, please let me apologize for the negative perception you had while staying at our hotel. The things that you feel you encountered are certainly not legal in NH and without a doubt not something that we allow here. Appropriate action will be taken to look into this situation. We always strive to provide an excellent experience and take pride in doing so. We certainly hope that you will give us another try next time you are traveling to UNH, we also wish you a happy and healthy holiday season!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mystic, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I liked it as a hotel as its the closest/only hotel in town, albeit, several outside of Durham. We were in town for a UNH open house and it is a clean, well kept hotel with very nice attentive people at the front desk and in the breakfast room.

At $200+ it was very pricey for a NH hotel and it's really just a modest place. There is a big gas station across the street which has a Dunkin Donuts in it, its a very short walk to the middle of Durham and it's best to walk. We drove to Whittemore Hall for the open house but we could have walked there in 10+ minutes.

Room was clean but small, very dry and the temp was moderate but we could not get the heater/AC to go any lower. The apartment building that shares the parking lot is a very noisy place after midnight but it is a college town. Breakfast was better than normal, checkout was easy and I gues it was the fairly high $$$ that made it a bit of a mediocre value.

Room Tip: Stay away from the east side parking lot if you want to sleep through the night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor, and we're so happy you noticed our welcoming staff and our clean rooms as we take a lot of pride and care in both of these areas. The breakfast compliments are appreciated as well! I am sorry to hear that you experienced noise, we do our best to take note of any noise coming from outside so we can address it promptly! Though you were not thrilled with the rate you paid, I certainly hope that we gave an excellent experience and value, we hope you will stay with us again soon! Happy Holidays from all of us at the HIEX!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Worst $189 room I ever stayed in.
No refrigerator. Postage stamp sized bathroom.
They issue parking passes.
If you don't display the parking pass, they HOTEL WILL TOW your car.
It WILL cost you $120 to get it back.
The large parking pass glares off your windshield during the day if you leave it on the dash.
If you remove it from the dash and forget to put it back up THE HOTEL WILL TOW your car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Though we do not yet have refrigerators in all of our guest rooms they are certainly always available upon request, our staff would have been glad to offer this to you had we known it would have helped make your stay more comfortable. While our bathrooms are on the smaller side, we do have very spacious guest rooms, but I am very sorry to hear that you were not pleased. As I'm sure you know, parking is difficult in this area, and we offer complimentary parking for one vehicle per room. We make every effort to ensure cars are not towed by issuing the parking pass you mentioned, having signs on every door as well as the desk, and we do have this on our registration cards that are read/signed upon check in. We also have our staff educate each guest at check in to ensure problems like this do not occur. I am so sorry that your stay did not meet up to your expectations - I would be very happy to discuss these issues with you via phone if ever you would like to contact me. We want every one of our guests to have a warm and welcoming experience and we are so sorry that this is not what you felt at our hotel. We hope you can give us another chance in the future and until then we wish you safe and happy travels.

Travelers are raving about these Durham hotels

Reading Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

As the title says the parking lot is shared or adjacent to the often partying college apartment building. The college is just down the street and you would expect some of that but not in the parking lot everynight of the hotel. If you stay there make sure you have a room on the back side of the hotel. We cut our stay short by a day due to the noise from the outside of the hotel. College students don’t care that they are up till 4:00am with loud music and cars in and out all night and load talking/shouting.
The hotel itself is nice the rooms clean the service is good the front desk personnel were upbeat and friendly. That is the only reason I didn't rate the hotel lower than I did.
The Hotel should buy up the apartment building and expand because as long as it’s there I won’t go back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the bcak side away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Durham is definitely a college town and as we all know students like to have a good time...with that being said we are SO sorry to hear you had to cut your stay short due to noise from the student housing located behind our hotel. We make every effort to keep noise to a minimum and if we hear it, or a guest lets us know we take every action necessary to ensure it is stopped. Thank you for acknowledging our staff and the cleanliness of our rooms, I'll be sure to share the compliment with them. We hope you will give us another try in the future, we appreciate your business and will try even harder to monitor the noise that may occur from outside. Thank you again!
Colchester, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

A one night stay for business. Clean is most important for me and clean it was. I found the bed comfortable and everything worked fine. Good breakfast and I was there on a weekday and had no issue with finding a parking spot as some other. A colleague in another room found the air conditioner noisy and the room stuffy. My rooms carpet had a worn spot so some updating could be done but staff were good, breakfast better than lots, and it was clean and convenient to the UNH campus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and noticed what a great job our staff does keeping things fresh and clean at all times! I am sorry to hear that your colleague did not have as good an experience. Please let he/she know they are welcome to contact management at any time to discuss those issues with us. This type of feedback is helpful and gives us insight on the things we could do to create an even better experience for our guests.
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend for a wedding. I was very impressed! The staff was very nice and knowledgable of the area. They directed my family to a wonderful seafood restaurant nearby that evening, even an ideal time to go see the sunset! Breakfast was great, and the attendant was very friendly. I had read about parking issues from past guests, and I am not sure how people had these issues. We were very well informed, and every entrance/exit is clearly labelled. The beds were also very comfortable. My only complaint is there were not enough towels in our room. We had four people in our party, and there were only three towels in the room with two beds. However, the front desk brought us more towels promptly! Overall, great stay! I'll be sure to stay here again if we ever need to go back to Durham.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear John F,

We appreciate your kind words and we are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope you have a chance to make a trip back to Durham one day soon! Thank you!
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

We are on a 6 week road trip so have stayed in a lot of Hotels. This one has some glaring faults. First, the bed and bedding are are sub par. Our sink did not drain. The A/C was hard to control and it went on and off unexpectedly. The fitness center has 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical, and one bike. Nothing for upper body or weights. They do give you a discount at a gym, but you should not have to travel to do this. The positives were a decent breakfast, convenient laundry and ice. We had a premonition that this was not the best hotel when we arrived at 4:30 pm and all the cookies were gone and never replenished. It is attention to details that make a good hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
We thank you for sharing your thoughts on your experience at our hotel, but sorry to hear that you did not find us up to par. We do our best to check drains on a regular basis, and our maintenance department will certainly continue to do so - had we known at the time of your stay we would have fixed this problem immediatly for you. You are right, we only have cardio equipment in our fitness center as we have limited space want to be sure our guests can get a work out in if they so choose. However, we do have discount coupons to a local full service gym and wish we could have offered you one! We do offer cookies Sunday through Tuesday and only for a limited time, I am so sorry if you missed them but glad you enjoyed breakfast and hope that you were able to try one of our signature cinnamon buns to satisfy your sweet tooth instead! We hope you will give us a chance in the futre should you ever find your way back to the Durham area!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Durham? Share your experiences!