“"just right!": Clean, courteous, and new. I have a daughter at UNH and I'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover

Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Dover
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010 via mobile

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean with a fresh and modern euro-style. This hotel exceeded my expectations for a 2-star. The hotel was booked solid, but no noise, I slept like a rock. I have a daughter attending UNH (15 minutes away). This worked out very well. I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Stayed here after a day at ocean. Nice clean room that was not more than 20 miles from the beaches. Small complimentary breakfast in the morning. No pool.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Winslow, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I stayed here when we attended a wedding in the area, When we arrived 15 minutes after the check-in time, we were told our room was not ready yet as they were full for the weekend. We then proceeded to wait another 25 minutes before we could go to our room. When we expressed our concern about time, the hostess asked whether I was in the wedding and when I responded no, she then just brushed me off saying I had plenty of time to get ready and that the ceremony site was only 15 minutes away. This isn't exactly what I wanted to hear after travling 2+ hours. As we waited, the 2 couples we were with (1 who checked in right after us) were able to go to their rooms . We also saw 2 other couples during our 25 minute wait for our room who were able to go right to their room.

The room was okay (standard room with a queen sized bed), a bit small but comfortable, but for $90ish for the night we didn't have any complaints. Until...we saw the room of one of the other couples we were with and saw that they were paying the same price for a room. Along with the standard room amenities, they also had a sitting area with a couch and a kitchenette with a coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, and sink.

So the Microtel Suites is a nice hotel, but just be prepared to be bewildered if it is full for your stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Houlton, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

The person at the desk was friendly, accomodating. They even had freshly baked chocolate chip cookies at the desk!
We only stayed one night (was there for a conference)
The room was clean, furniture, drapes, etc. looked new. Great use of space. Not a lot of room to move around in the room, but definitely adequate. It was quiet. The continental breakfast had yogurt, waffles, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee, good selection of cereals.
There are many restaurants to choose from within a mile of the hotel. Can't say enough good things about it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Portsmouth has gotten very expensive and we have started avoiding it recently on our jaunts to Maine. But, the city of Dover is a gem. The city is a lot of fun, with good food, shopping, and friendly people. We have a 3 year old and we always take time to visit the Childrens Museum which is filled with amazing wonders.

So, we were delighted that there was such a nice place to stay in the city. The Microtel is conveniently located to restaurants and Starbucks (for you caffeine fiends) and the hotel is immaculate. For families with small children, your favorite TV stations are most likely available (Sprout, Disney, Nick as well as on demand selections – my son was delighted he could catch handy Manny). The staff is friendly. The breakfast was nice, with a selection of hot and cold foods, good coffee and fresh fruit which was all frequently restocked by the staff. I noticed that there is a nice washroom for those who like to pack light and do a load of laundry on their trip.

The only thing of note is that I would recommend asking for a room that overlooks the parking lot if you like a quieter room. The other side of the building faces a main stretch of road and you get more noise.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Hotel represented great value for money and its current star rating. Very clean and modern, friendly and helpful staff, easy access to downtown and local highways. Booked a second night as were so impressed with it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

This motel is one of my favorites -- I travel a great deal -- not because it is fancy or on the beach or a place that uplifts me or any of that. Simply, this motel always delivers. It is clean, safe, attractive, functional and a great value. Easy parking, easy access, close to eateries, office supplies, dry cleaners, supermarkets (also a small country food store/deli just a block away.) It isn't in the city center but has good roads nearby.

For the past few years I have been tending ailing parents in the Dover area. As a Hilton Honors member I stayed many times at the nearby Hampton Inn. While that is a little fancier with a few more items at breakfast, the staff attitude was too often just that -- an attitude -- and the price was always a little steep. (But tolerable.) When suddenly I was quoted nearly $200 for a room, I called to ask why the sudden rise since my last stay (having been a loyal customer -- renting 20 nights in the prior 18 months.) The woman at the Hampton's front desk suggested I try somewhere else. So I did -- and stumbled on the Microtel Inn two blocks away for 'way less than half the price. I have never gone back.

After a couple years I have never been disappointed at this Microtel. The breakfast is a little sparse (but they have recently added waffles to the usual bagels and sweet buns) yet perfectly fine. The exercise room is small with a treadmill, recumbent bike and, bizarrely, a hand cycle... plus, even stranger, a coffee machine... but is rarely used and quite satisfactory. (There is a Planet Fitness a short walk away as well.) All rooms have a reading/sitting nook under the window. The queen bed / sofa suites come with fridge and micro, and I was told that any room can have those two items added for $10. The wi-fi is free.

If a quiet morning is of value, then be sure to ask for the side away from the nearby road, which is quite busy with morning traffic. On my latest stay my family and I were given a suite on the road side but when I asked to move to the other side, the clerk went out of her way to get us into a room we preferred, (which took some finagling since the motel was busy that night) even though one in our party had already used the bathroom in our assigned room. When I offered the clerk a $5 tip for her help she refused it and instead asked I leave it for the maid next morning.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover? Share your experiences!