“Recommended by a local!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 100 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Germantown, New York
“Recommended by a local!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We decided to try this establishment based on the recommendation of a local woman I met on my last trip to coastal NH. Slightly better than a lobster pound in looks and atmosphere, but overall, we had a enjoyable meal & dining experience. My husband didn't like the expansive dining area, he said, "the huge space made him feel lost inside the room". Personally I was impressed, I didn't expect it to be that large & open inside and I thought it was pretty amazing. It was night dining in early December, so we didn't see much in the way of scenery down by the river that everyone has mentioned. The food was fresh & priced as expected. The staff seemed laid back but attentive enough, I am sure this is their slow season. Again, my husband was not as impressed as I was, but I am writing this review not him, haha! He tends to be much more critical than I. We ordered one of four types of Oysters available at that time of the year and it was by far, the largest Oyster I have ever seen! (Incidently, my husband did agree with me on that subject) . I really should have saved one of the shells.... a half dozen oysters filled an entire serving tray, it was one of those "Wow" moments. Our lobsters were sweet & probably some of the best I have had to date. I know with seafood, it depends on the time of the year it is caught, I don't pretend to know the season for all seafood but this must have been a good time for these lobsters, they were delicious! If you are looking for a fancy atmosphere and or classy dining you won't find it here. There is a small giftshop and I believe a place to come in & buy fresh seafood to take home & cook. I like the idea that a local establishment has been operating in the area for many years and has generations of family members still working in the business. I like to support that kind of business everywhere I travel. You come here for the variety and freshness of the seafood, not the interior. I have no complaints and will be back again.....just have to see & taste those monster sized Oysters again!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dover, NH
“good prices, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wonderful views, but seafood is prepared a bit hastily and kinda slapped onto paper plates, teamed with plastic utensils and plastic drinking glasses, then table is cleared with a large trash bag. Lobster is good - but beware the plastic!

Visited February 2013
Syracuse, New York
“Favorite Seafood Restaurant in New Hampshire”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have been visiting Newicks for 20+ years. We live 5 hours away but visit in both the summer and the winter when we are in the area. Never have we been disappointed with our meals. Service is friendly and food is terrific. Clam chowder is very good. Best clam strips we have ever found anywhere. Portions are very generous and we always end up taking some home. Really enjoy the view of the Bay. As long as they keep cooking we will keep going.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Always a Great Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Since we moved to the Seacoast from the Mid-west 3 years ago, Newicks is one of my very favorite places to eat. The food is wonderful. The service is consistently great. And the views of the Great Bay are fantastic. Newicks never disappoints.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wakefield, New Hampshire
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Newick's in Dover, Saturday evening. It wasn't too busy, we were seated right away. The hostess was very pleasant and our waitress was attentive and polite. We both ordered from the Newick's Boat Yard Combos. We had the homemade chips to start but they weren't the best we've had, slightly overdone, not very thick, but still good. My husband had clam strips and calamari. Clam strips are his favorite and he was very pleased. The calamari wasn't as good. Lots of breading, not too tasty though. I had the haddock nuggets and onion rings. The onion rings are always delicious, thick cut, perfect! This is the second time I've had the haddock nuggets at Newick's and I was even more pleased! They were delicate, thick pieces, battered perfectly, absolutely delicious! We both had the cole slaw as well, nothing special but good just the same. Every time we visit Newick's we leave happy and stuffed! The portions are perfect and sometimes huge! Prices are great for fresh food. The dining are is open, lots of ceiling fans, checkered table cloths and paper plates. The big windows let you enjoy the sights over Little Great Bay. Comfortable, even with the open concept, it's not crowded. We will visit here again.

• Visited February 2013