“Disappointed this time” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Disappointed this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I hadn't been to the Weathervane for awhile and was very hungry and my son and I quickly decided to go to the Weathervane as their service was always fast and I'm always satisfied with Weathervane. I also wanted to get the fried oysters they have had with previous visits. I was disappointed that they didn't have oysters (which the waitress said they don't always have, fine, no problem). I ordered a special fried seafood plate they were having consisted of haddock nuggets, shrimp, calamari and sea scallops. I'm usually so happy with one bite but noticed it just wasn't that good. Even the sea scallops didn't taste that great, the calamari was dry and hard and the fish was dry. Even the baked potato and coleslaw weren't good and I heard a woman at the next table telling the waitress that her coleslaw didn't taste right. The waitress was great, the manager came over when I said I was dissatisfied and offered to add something to my dish, or more of anything I liked on the plate. Really though, the only thing that tasted okay was the shrimp. The meal just wasn't fresh. I like to tell restaurants when I'm dissatisfied so they can improve on things and retain customers. I may try them again but don't like spending good money only to be disappointed. I NEVER get dessert but needed a Golicks ice cream next door after to provide me with some satisfaction. I hope they take heed to criticism as a lot of people just stay silent and then never return.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Newport, Rhode Island
“Great Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Prices are very reasonable and portions more than adequate. Service is excellent and friendly. I can always count on the Weathervane!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dover, New Hampshire
“Good Food, Affordable Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Had a coupon for free onion rings(can't turn that down) so we decide to stop in. We have had up and down results here lately so we were a little hesitant. We decide to split a fried seafood platter so we would have room for dessert next door at Goldlick's. I was very happy as it appeared the meal had been cooked a little longer so everything was nice and crunchy. The onion rings were great as usual, the haddock & shrimp were very tasty. The bay scallops, which usually are kind of mushy and small( I prefer sea scallops) were actually a good size and crispy. The only thing that suffered from the extra cooking time were the clam strips, it made them a bit chewy. The cole slaw needs work, very dry and tasteless. The place was packed so our waiter was running a bit ragged but he was trying and the hostess was very helpful and friendly. The portion was pretty good considering we only ordered the fried seafood plate and not the Admiral's Platter, that can be quite large. Overall a pretty good visit, traditionally we prefer here to several other local seafood establishments and we weren't let down on this visit

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, New Hampshire
“fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

For a local spot with reasonable prices, it would be hard to beat this restaurant that has ben a favorite with locals or many years, The fish and chips with the choice of fries, baked potato or wonderful fresh veggies would be hard to beat at any price but at $8.95 it is a steal. Onion rings are also available at an additional charge but unless you are very hungry, they are a little too much. They have a reward card which accumulates points toward credits that can be applied to your bill.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hamburg, NY
“Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Great value for your money....great specials......great sea scallops never disappointed. Always fresh, tasty & good!

Visited May 2014