“Idler's Rest” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Black River
Lakewood, Ohio
“Idler's Rest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Having a home in Jamaica, down the beach from Idler's, an ex-pat and familiar with the many variables for traveller's in a 3rd world country, I felt it fair to respond to some of the responses some have left.

First, where is anyone going to get a 'perfect' hotel in the world on the water for $100 US. Granted, there are some cottages I know of at $50; however, they will not be anywhere as decent as this. There is Jake's in Treasure Beach, at around $175 +, which is very Bohemian and charming. However, overall, this is not bad. If you want to economize, try Ecuador and/or parts of Vietnam, where 'okay' places can be had for about $50 a night.

The rooms are very large; however, please realize, as i've travelled a great deal, American's are often a bit 'picky' - - - as an American, I can say, we are spoiled. Try India where the first night was spent on the hallway floor and no electricity - - - all for only $38.00 US.

Now, while you are here, do venture out. The restaurant is, in my estimation, a bit pricey. $1100 JA is a bit for lunch. Go into town or further down the beach to Clinton's for a great fried chicken and french fry dinner for 350J - - not bad, eh?

sure, you could stay further in town at the Waterloo , with a small pool and rooms no where near the water at about $45 a night. There is the Inverness which is about $70 (I THINK) but not on the beach.

All in all, the rooms are nice (toilet may clog up - - Hell, they do at my own house down here - - a problem with pressure), nice private patio/balcony about 10 x 20. The water is great to swim in. I'd give it a shot. Also, their wi-fi, for those who wish to do 'some work' is flawless - - which is hard to get in parts of Jamaica.

Give it a shot. While here, do see YS Falls, spend a whole day there - - - take a book. Yes, you can stay there at night (outstanding) at about $250 a night US. It is a very unique place.
There are other places, a craft village in the backwoods and also Blue Hole.

There are other unique places. Bluefield's has a place owned by "Mary", small cottages over the water - - about $125 a day. All in all, not a bad place - - -just find some cheaper places to eat. Don't hold it against the guy, running a hotel in Jamaica is very hard.

This is teh 3rd world, not Ft Lauderdale or Marco Island. I found the staff very pleasant and charming. Give it a try - - also, if you wish to travel, hit Strawberry Hill spa in the Mountains and also Port Anthony, where there are some other nice spots. For the tourist that wants perfect - - - go to Sandal's and pay $450 a day. For the tourist that is not intimidated, wishes to expose themselves to different things, Idler's is fine.

Down the beach is "True Love Cottages", far/far more rustic and owned by a friend. Sure, he's charging $60 to $90 a day but that is for the person seeking rustic and removed. I'd stay with Idler's.

Room Tip: #6, up towards dining room, more shade.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Customer service at Idler's Rest was horrible. It took over an hour for the manager to check us into our room and another hour for hotel workers to fix the clogged toilet in our room.

The pictures online are deceiving as the building is far more run down than shown online. Also, the Pelican Bar they advertise isnt even visible from the hotel. They tour guide service they advertise is non existent, and we sat outside the hotel for about 30 minutes before being able to hail a cab. They also advertized hot water, which also does not exist.

The hotel has a crocodile on site that is likely sedated and is living in horrendous conditions (Hardly has room to move and is slugging around in dirty water). They had cats on site that harassed us during every meal.

However, the room was clean and there was tons of privacy as most of the hotel was vacant.

Overall we were disappointed with this hotel and would not recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The atmosphere was wonderful and relaxing...except the guy at the front desk (Mr. Mcdonald). He came off a bit condescending. When I arrived (in the pm), I was told unapologetically that the room wasn’t ready.
The owner was really nice. Anyways when I stayed there I had gotten a "beach view room". I think it was the master suite. The view from the patio was nice. This place has great potential but needs rejuvenation, renovation, and upgrade.These are my pros and cons:

Pros:
The owner was polite and really nice
The groundsman was nice
Great Beach view

Cons:
Bathroom needs upgrade
Towels and washcloths need upgrade
TV needs upgrade
Rooms have no ironing board
Broken iron
Hot water takes a while to warm up
Better shower (because of wall height water messes up the floor a little)
Needs bigger mirror in bathroom

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I read a few of the reviews and wondered if those reviews were referring to the same "hotel". I used air quotes as Idlers' Beach Resort is far from a hotel but then again I guess it depends on ones definition of a hotel or maybe locals experience a different treatment than foreigners.

Overall, my visit to Idlers' was by far the worst experience ever. The staff tried to make the experience a pleasant one, however the attitude of the owner was far from pleasant. Customer service seem to not be of importantance, as the service was rather poor. The facilities were below quality standards and though I get that maybe the theme was to be that of a "rustic" feel, it lacked the effect; there were cobwebs everywhere, sink drains were clogged, toilet overflowed, water lock off while guests tried to shower.

In order for Idler's Beach Resort to become a success, there would need to be a change of management. Someone who knows and understands what it takes to manage and operate a hotel. If there is no change in operations, Idlers' Beach Resort will only attract idlers.

I gave Idlers' Beach Resort a rating of one (1) as there was no option to choose a half rating.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
KINGSTON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This place needs a lot of work. First thing that threw me off was the phone conversation when booming a room, when I booked it I had to be pulling the information needed out of the person. When I called to confirm only to find out it wasn't booked, this was a few days after I had made the booking.
On the day we arrived, they gave us a room where the face basin was clogged after we washed our hands and within a few minutes the toilet over flow. It took a while before the problem addressed until we were given another room. The beds are hard, cobwebs everywhere and insects. The place really needed renovation, I can't even give it a one star rating much less half.
The following day when we went for breakfast which is included in package we got a small amount of food with no option at all. I get the concept they are trying to create for this place but much more needs to be done. They even turned of the water to fix some pipe without informing us, we found out when we went to find why there was no water.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone for all the money in the world. The reason we even stayed was because we lived couple hours away from the our friend's wedding venue and we didn't want to travel in the night after the wedding. Somehow I wish we had left that night. They didn't even treat the newly weds special just plain old plain old. I'm so not impressed.

• Stayed December 2012
kgn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Idler's Rest is a disappointment to many. The rooms are dusty and have an unusually bad smell. The kitchen facility lacks organization and general know how to deal with guests.This facility is a very poor representation of a hotel experience on any level. The management clearly lacks the know how to provide good service or simply does not care. This experience has truly been a waste of money !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Whitehouse, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Idlers Rest is a unique beach hotel designed for the simple life of yesteryear with modern conveniences. The rooms are large with air conditioning and fans and mosquito nets. The bathrooms are huge. The food was excellent both the pasta and the local foods. The staff was accomodating but perhaps a bit too laid back. The owners are delightful. Pelican Bar is not too be missed. Overall, a non touristy place to escape the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Idlers' Rest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!