“Doesn't qualify as a hotel or resort in other words horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Idlers' Rest Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Black River, Jamaica   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Black River
KINGSTON
“Doesn't qualify as a hotel or resort in other words horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This place needs a lot of work. First thing that threw me off was the phone conversation when booming a room, when I booked it I had to be pulling the information needed out of the person. When I called to confirm only to find out it wasn't booked, this was a few days after I had made the booking.
On the day we arrived, they gave us a room where the face basin was clogged after we washed our hands and within a few minutes the toilet over flow. It took a while before the problem addressed until we were given another room. The beds are hard, cobwebs everywhere and insects. The place really needed renovation, I can't even give it a one star rating much less half.
The following day when we went for breakfast which is included in package we got a small amount of food with no option at all. I get the concept they are trying to create for this place but much more needs to be done. They even turned of the water to fix some pipe without informing us, we found out when we went to find why there was no water.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone for all the money in the world. The reason we even stayed was because we lived couple hours away from the our friend's wedding venue and we didn't want to travel in the night after the wedding. Somehow I wish we had left that night. They didn't even treat the newly weds special just plain old plain old. I'm so not impressed.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
kgn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Idler's Rest is a disappointment to many. The rooms are dusty and have an unusually bad smell. The kitchen facility lacks organization and general know how to deal with guests.This facility is a very poor representation of a hotel experience on any level. The management clearly lacks the know how to provide good service or simply does not care. This experience has truly been a waste of money !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
White House, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Idlers Rest is a unique beach hotel designed for the simple life of yesteryear with modern conveniences. The rooms are large with air conditioning and fans and mosquito nets. The bathrooms are huge. The food was excellent both the pasta and the local foods. The staff was accomodating but perhaps a bit too laid back. The owners are delightful. Pelican Bar is not too be missed. Overall, a non touristy place to escape the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I am a local who has spent time at many of the hotels and villas throughout the island. Decor and ambiance here is average at best, although the website would give the impression that it is more like a reasonably priced Jakes....not even close.
The staff was very polite and helpful. The room was clean and adequate but with a very low ceiling(if you do go do not stay in room 7 under any circumstances. The windows opens to a passage leading to the kitchen and another looks out to a scrappy backyard with some old debris ). The hot water was inconsistent as was the water pressure. The bed was a square mattress.....a square. I am 5 ft 9 and my feet were hanging off the end of the bed slightly.
Myself and my wife were able to stomach all of this as this was simply a last minute getaway from Kingston so we figured we were just unlucky in our particular room selection. But then at 8:15 am on Easter Monday which is a national holiday here, we are awoken by hammering, sawing and other construction sounds. This went on for like an hour until I finally went outside to see what was happening. I saw a roof being put on. I complained to the manager who said he would speak to the owner who happened to be on premise at the time I assume to supervise the construction.
The noise stopped and we left our room to have breakfast. While at breakfast the owner approached us and asked what he could do for us as he needed to have the work done on the roof and if we wanted some red wine. Now this is like 10:15 am, and I do drink but my binges don't start that early. Lol.
I said we were fine and that he should do as he must. The hammering restarted. We checked out immediately and while doing so saw 2 other guests doing an early departure and inquiring about other accommodations in the area.
Staff was embarrassed and I actually felt sorry for them hence I did not make a stink. The impression which myself and the other guests got was that we were hindering the construction by our presence and by wanting the quiet peaceful getaway which we paid for.
And worse on a religious holiday here which is normally extremely calm and peaceful.
This idler will not be resting here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Muncie, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The mosquitos here are somewhat of a problem at night. A mosquito net is provided but the buzzing keeps you awake. The hot water is only lukewarm. Half the items on the menu were not available. No fresh fruit or fruit juice for breakfast. Service was very slow. Waited for dinner for over an hour. Beer was inexpensive though--200 Jamaican dollars a bottle. No one could give change when buying a beer. Before 8 am only eggs and toast are available for breakfast. During meals 3 cats were always at your feet begging for a handout.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Once again my stay was amazing, receiving great service with a smile. I stay a little longer this time and was able to enjoy more of what Black River has to offer. I had a nice big room #7 (approx. 400-500sf.) with window all around the room.

The Pelican Bar is definitely on the list of activities along with long walk on the beach. Their is a lot more to do but for this trip I wanted to be relax. Their is no one bothering you when you walk and it's total tranquility on the beach. If you are looking for an "Off the Beaten Path" destination and want to see more of what Jamaica has to offer beside all inclusive resort, this is a great place to start your new experience.

1.5 hour drive from MontegoBay airport - Idler's is now my home away from home when I need a nice downtime.

I will be there again soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Decatur, In
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We have stayed at Idler's Rest twice in the past year and we really like it, but it's not for everyone. We've been to Jamaica many times in the past 20 years, from Mission Trips to Sandals Resorts to other all-inclusive resorts, Natania's and Idler's Rest. We've enjoyed them all, but keep coming back to the south coast in Black River. The people are friendly and there's no need to be afraid and there's no soliciting in the Black River area. Idler's Rest's food was better this year than last, also a little busier this year than last. Our room was clean and spacious. We did get some bites, next time we will definitely use the bug spray. (maybe they only bite in March?) Idler's Rest is quaint and very Jamaican all the way. There's a gentleman there by the name of Wesley who is more than willing to help you with anything you should need, as well as anyone else here. We'll be back again next year!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Idlers' Rest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!