“Horrible-filled with Rat Pooh!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Invercauld Great House Hotel

Invercauld Great House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Black River
Invercauld Great House Hotel
You added Invercauld Great House Hotel to your Saves list
66 High Street, Black River, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Black River
Florida
“Horrible-filled with Rat Pooh!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

My husband and I had stayed there about 7 years ago and it was mediocre. We were travelling through Black River this November of 2007and thought we would spend the night.

We were given the keys, went to our room, we were greeted at the entrance with hugh rat pooh, got inside and the bathroom was the same..rat pooh. The bed just had some kind of "see through" sheet with a bed cover.

The sad truth it was disgusting. The overall property has some charm, paint and clean-up maintenance will make a big difference. ..along with some proper landscaping.

Shame, shame..please clean up!! I wanted to mention this situation to the Manager who was nicely attired and impolite but my husband stopped me from doing so.

Please treat this beautiful building and location with some some tender loving care by cleaning up!!

• Liked — Old charm
  • Disliked — drab and unsanitary
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

I fully agree with the previous writer (Febr 18, 2007). I was very disappointed about The Invercauld Great House Hotel. I really do not understand the positive reviews in the travel books. The property fell into disrepair and it has the sphere of past glory. The property is large and it looks like there are many rooms, however there are hardly any guests. I think that during our stay there were only 3 other guests.

It is not clean and there is hardly any service. When we arrived in our room, the room turned out not to be ready. The pool is dirty and there are no chairs. It turned out that the restaurant was not open. There are not many alternatives around. There was no bar and we could not get any drinks.

The rooms were poorly furnished. There is a kind of closet, but was broken en dirty. The bathroom looked like it was built by a layman and the shower do not provide enough water to wash long hair in a comfortable way. Also the windows were broken.

Anyway, I would not recommend this hotel to you!

Stayed October 2007
Kingston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2007

I just returned from the Great House mentioned above. Will someone please get in touch with the various guides and websites that are carrying old promotional material and inform them that they need to review same. This is a magnificent property with enormous potential. However, everything and i mean everything has run into the ground. The rooms are really large but need serious maintenance. There are no irons or ironing boards. But everything works.
In its current condition, it is not worth you spending more than a night. And that's just so you can say i spent a night at a great house in Jamaica. The Great House itself is not being maintained at all, old files and paint pans are thrown down upstairs. The piant is peeling off every wall both Great House and accommodation.
Travelers please do a site inspection of the place before you stay. It has an old colonial charm and reminds you of West Indian and European history, but take it form me, not worth staying. Unless serious money is put into the upkeep( notice i said upkeep) no refurbishing is necessary, i would not return for neither love nor money.

Stayed February 2007
kennesaw
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

I was told the invercauld was once the best place to stay in St Elizabeth and saw pamphlets of the wonderful grounds. Where do I begin. The reception area was 'nice', a little run down, but being that the property is historical , I forgave the dust and disrepair.

I thought our room would be about the same.
Instead the room reminded me of dorm rooms for 18th century, poor, pregnant , homeless girls. We, unfortunately paid for TWO ROOMS. The first room had horrible, broken old furniture in the sitting room, and a dirty old bed...but most frighteningly, torn, broken window treatments, a non working tv, a closet with no door, the nastiest bathroom with rust and accumulated dirt, dirty floors and extremely worn linens. I felt that they were trying to insult us.

The second room..I can't remember what was wrong because they moved me five times because of either 'room not ready', water doesnt work, lizard in room, lizard droppings, cockroaches everywhere, hot water doesnt work, bed linen too nasty..ac doesnt work. The chair in the first room was wet.
We were promised hot water and never got it. I waited till 2 am , then they said they were sorry because the plumber went home.

The pool was never cleaned and there were no umbrellas, pool chairs or any furnture and flowers as in their brochure. It showed people sitting arond the pool . That must have been a picture from the 70's. ... or a 1 year old photo shoot. NO-ONE would consider swimming in that pool. It looks INFECTED.... dirt and black stuff in it.

I waited for 2 hours for a manager, to complain . She was busy on her personal conversation.RUUUUUUUDE.

The grounds were horrible. I was ill.......You couldnt even walk around the property because it was flooded. You couldnt park because you would step out into a pool of muddy water. And don't try driving as the gravel road has more potholes than you can imagine, and grass is actually growing in the parking lot because the property is not being maintained.

There were more flies in the restaurant than air particles.

They stole US$200.00 from me. I WOULDN'T HAVE STAYED THERE FOR FREE. I let them keep the stupid money for the second day.

We got to breakfast about 45 minutes into it and were told that they ran out. 'Ran Out'. There is no one staying there. Why weren't the rooms cleaned?...there was NO ONE THERE.
I wished I had paid by credit card so I could dispute the charges. I was sooo mad..I don't ever want to get any where near that place again.
You would do better sleeping in your car.......
Send your rats there...... NOT FOR HUMANS

STAYED AT JAMAICA GRANDE, RITZ, WYNDHAM ROSE-HALL , CLUB CARIBBEAN, CLUB JAMAICA, AMONGST OTHERS.
Their maids wouldnt even take a lunch break at the invercauld.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — every single thing
  • Tips/Secrets — PLEASE DONT WASTE YOU TIME WITH THIS BIONIC RIPOFF
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2005

I had to travel to St. Elizabeth to attend a friend's wedding, and was told that Invercauld Great House was the best place to stay.

After checking in, we were told that our accomodations would be found on the other side of the property which we thought was quite neat. When we got there and entered our suite, the first thing that hit me was the size. The front room was one gigantic space just sitting there waiting to be utilized.

There was no kind or decent furnishing, or maybe anything that would make you even want to stop in this room for a moment, so we proceeded to the bedroom which I gather was just a place to stay for the nite (US$100).

The closet was the size of a junior bedroom with a few bent up wire hangers.

I proceeded on to the bathroom which was filthy, and there were three towels which looked discolored, old and worn. I requested an ironing board and iron and was told that I would have to walk over to the main building to use it there. I was shocked as I've never heard anything like this in my life.

I took one shower at nite (when I arrived), and even though I was grossed out by the towels, bathtub, curtain and floor I had to not only withstand the filth, but also save and reuse the towels.

As for breakfast, even though we got to the cafe aprox 1 1/2hr prior to the end of serving (the following morning), the staff made it clear that everything was finished.

My company and I kept looking at each other in disbelief. No place can possibly be run with level of incompetence.

The ladies in the kitchen whipped up some breakfast for us, we thanked them and hightailed it out of there.

We thought that this was a beautiful piece of property at a great location, and I absolutely love the buildings, and the balcony as well as the relaxing atmosphere, but this property needs some work, some lovely pictures on the wall maybe, and how about some new towels, and a bathroom rug, and redoing the old bathrooms.Better yet, send the manager to do a course in hospitality.

While in the dining area I overheard other guests complaining about problems which they were experiencing.

I cannot believe that whomever manages this place would feel good to say "I'm the manager".

I also forgot my cute pajama bottoms, and was told they were nowhere to be found.

Oh well...on the upside, it was only 1 nite, my ralph lauren jammy's and US$100....it could have been worse.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2004

When we decided to go to Jamaica we decided not to opt for an All-inclusive holiday but to travel round the Island and take in some of the culture, we also wanted to relax and charge up our batteries, no party hotels.
One of the places we stayed at was Invercauld Great House Hotel in Black River in the parish of St. Elizabeth. We used the hotel driver and guide for a day trip out to YS Falls and the Appleton Rum Factory. Most of the places link back to the 17& 1800's. We went on the Black River safari which was fun in a laid back way, very still and peaceful in the mangroves with beautiful birds and even crocodiles.
We booked a Junior Suite at the hotel, it was a spacious pleasently furnished room and had a/c and cable TV with about 20 channels.
we had a ample veranda that overlooked the sea and gardens, great for reading our books or just sipping on a rum punch.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the restaurant had a good selection of food.
We intended to stay for 2 nights but stayed for 5 and intend to return.
It's a great location, you can walk into town its just 10mins away, so even without a car you dont feel stranded.
A very relaxing resort with some wondeful sunsets. I higly recomend it.

Been to Invercauld Great House Hotel? Share your experiences!