“My randon nights stay while skiing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of White Mountains Hostel

You added White Mountains Hostel to your Saves list
White Mountains Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   36 Washington St., Conway, NH 03818 (Formerly Albert Lester Memorial Hostel)   |
Manchester, New Hampshire
“My randon nights stay while skiing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I believe this is my second or third year staying here at the WM Hostile. I have never had a bad night stay....well, maybe that one night.....only kidding, really.

I was pleasantly surprised this season to find new owners/operators, who, seemed to have many years experience of running Hostiles through out many different venues. This tear in particular, was a tremendous improvement, even though they took it over in March, just prior to this seasons first stay by myself.

I was greeted warmly, and was made to feel very welcome, and very comfortable. The Hostile was clean, accommodating, and well kept. They were actively making improvements within only a few weeks of ownership, very nice, not that it needed it, because it really didn't. They simply wanted to make it....nicer.

Each night I had the pleasure to meet a different group of people, from different areas, and all were very pleasant, and fun to get to know, and hang around with. The last night, so far, this season, I was the only guest. It's getting late in the season for skiing, and Tim, had made a home made Pea Soup, and I was invited to share with him, and his brother that evening. This is a very memorable evening, as they are very kind, considerate, and hospitable. When I expressed my appreciation, I was told that "having a soup, or crock of chili, or something like this is very traditional in as a host Hostile, and I'm just trying to keep within the tradition."

Yeah, I know that may sound a little corny, but you know what? They meant it, we all had fun, a good meal, and all shared in cleaning up together.

Hosteling is not for everyone, you should be willing to be somewhat social, as you are sharing the house with others, that's the way it is. And this place....was a pretty good stay, I will stay again, every time I come, in every season.

Room Tip: Room #8 is quiet, at the end of the hall, has a nice view, etc, but it is a private. It is worth it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TimWestwig, Owner at White Mountains Hostel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review. I am glad that you truly enjoy the travel experience that I think hostels are so good at delivering. I hope that one day the hostel is busy enough that I can change my title to Chef and be making great meals each day.

I look forward to your next stay with us!

Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Amherst, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is a great place for inexpensive, clean, comfortable accomodations when adventuring in the White Mountains. I've brought numerous groups here and they always enjoyed it. The hostel is under new management and Tim is great--professional, kind, and positive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the kind words and it was a pleasure to have your and your group stay. I look forward to next time!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've stayed at dozens of hostels and this is one of my favorites. It has everything that a good hostel should have:
- big kitchen
- comfortable social area
- comfortable beds
- clean bathroom
- good location
- accessible by bus from Boston
If you need a cheap place to crash in New Hampshire, I highly recommend the White Mountains Hostel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TimWestwig, Owner at White Mountains Hostel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you very much for such a great review! We will continue to try and go beyond your expectations.

All the Best,

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stay at the hostel several times each season. The hostel was recently bought by Tim, an experienced hostel-keeper from NYC. It appears he will be bringing some fresh energy to this already good place.

My one comment has more to do with hostels in general than this particular hostels: Though, yes, people should bring earplugs for small noise disturbances, I believe that hostels should more actively communicate that "If you KNOW you are a LOUD snorer you should book a private room."

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the nice comments about the hostel! Your point on the noise disturbance is noted and some kind of friendly suggestion is a good suggestion.

Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I needed a convenient place to sleep, easy to reach after work in Boston, but close to the mountains for an early hiking meetup. This fit my need perfectly. A comfortable dorm-style bed. A clean and serviceable bathroom. A comfortable common area with wifi and tv. Facilities for cooking if I had needed. A reasonable price. And half and hour to Pinkham Notch. Much more civilized than beginning a hiking weekend with a 4:30 a.m. departure from Boston.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TimWestwig, Owner at White Mountains Hostel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your response and I hope to see you come back again. The hostel is under brand new ownership/management starting this month. We are very excited to be sprucing up the hostel and making your stay even better.

Woburn, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The driveway was hazardous with a thick coating of ice and no sand on it. Rooms were overheated. Otherwise, fine as usual. Convenient location for hiking in the White Mountains. I feelt he hostel has slipped since it left Hostelling International, but I would still stay there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for reviewing the hostel. I agree the driveway should have been in better shape. Just to let you know I am the new owner and operator of the hostel , just got here a couple days ago, and I actually used to be the regional director of this hostel when it was a Hostelling International Hostel. I am pretty sore from having chopped a lot of ice the past two days here to try and make things a bit better. I think the warm weather over the weekend will help a lot. I plan to work very hard to earn back a higher rating. Thanks again and happy travels!

MANCHESTER CENTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed here for a long weekend during the Mount Washington Valley Ice Fest and I had a great time. The hostel was clean, offered a BIG kitchen with two of everything (stoves, sinks etc.), plenty of bathrooms and showers and friendly staff. It was pretty full for several nights but everyone was pretty easy going and respectful.

Room Tip: Pick a room farthest from the stairs, they are a bit creaky.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to White Mountains Hostel? Share your experiences!