“Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 141 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
“Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very good for breaksfast. I recommend the Windmill omlet. Pretty crowded especially on Sundays but service is always good and the wait isn't long at all. Prices are also very reasonable as well.

“Service was excellent, food was good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Excellent server....she worked very hard to ensure we had a great experience.
The food was good, nothing spectacular...but well executed and tasty.
What they lack in adventure, they make up for in execution.

Manchester, NH
“Pretty...average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Basic decent breakfast. Service was pretty good. Nothing to write home about. I had an omelette, and the others in my party had french toast and waffles.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Concord, New Hampshire
“Bad food, terrible customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My wife and I had eaten breakfast a few times at The Windmill and it was usually good, so we figured we would give them a try for dinner. BIG MISTAKE.

The waitress suggested prime rib, so my wife and I both ordered medium-rare prime rib. It came with a meatball minestrone soup, which was salty and contained no meatballs, but was still okay. Then the prime rib came out.

My wife's prime rib was grey and dry, definitely cooked well-done, almost past well-done. Mine was a bit better, but not by much. When the waitress came back over, we showed her the steaks and she agreed that they seemed to be overcooked. She took them back and offered to bring us cuts cooked more to the specifications we had ordered.

When she took the steaks back I could hear the cook - I can only assume he was also the owner or manager since he wasn't fired on the spot - yelling at the waitress that there was nothing wrong with the steaks. His voice was raised enough so that we could hear him out in the middle of the restaurant. He was shouting at the waitress, saying that we didn't know what medium rare was, that he was running a business, and he wasn't taking the steaks back. After about a half a minute of hearing him argue with the waitress, I went to the counter and offered to just pay for our drinks and soup and leave. Another cook came out and offered to get us prime rib that was actually medium-rare. He apologized for the other cook and said that he sometimes had trouble reading the tickets. I told him that I have eaten a lot of prime rib and the ones they sent out were definitely not medium-rare. He agreed and offered again to bring us out new steaks.

When the new steaks came out, they were medium at best, but at least not grey and dry like the first two. If I owned a restaurant, I would have been embarrassed to serve them as a $17 cut of prime rib. I've probably had worse prime rib at a buffet or cafeteria, but The Windmill's prime rib was close to the worst I've ever had. At this point, my wife and I just wanted to get out of that restaurant as soon as possible. We could still hear the other cook/owner complaining as we ate. The other cook offered us dessert on the house, but we politely declined, paid, and left.

In conclusion: bad food and terrible service (except our waitress, who was very nice). If you really need someplace to have breakfast, I'd try them if everywhere else was too busy, but definitely steer clear of The Windmill for dinner.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Concord, New Hampshire
“Breakfast Every Saturday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My mom and I meet at the windmill every Saturday morning for coffee and light breakfast. One of the few places where you can get a poached/coddled egg. Their waffles and pancakes are good too! The wait staff are warm and friendly. Mom and I are not the only regulars, many other locals, particularly fire and Law enforcement also choose to startpot their Saturday mornings at the Windmill. They also are the only place in town to serve breakfast for dinner!

• Visited March 2014