“Seafood Savvy” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Thornton, New Hampshire
“Seafood Savvy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

If you are looking for great seafood in Hatteras Village, you could take your pick of many restaurants, but if you are truly looking for the best seafood in town, stop by Harbor House Seafood Market. I am not exactly what you would call "Seafood Savvy" which is why I like to go to Harbor House. Vicki, the owner, will steer you right every time. I found Vicki to be agreat in helping me to select not only great fresh seafood, but also in giving me tips as to how to cook it perfectly. This last trip down, Vicki recommended her "seafood enchiladas" which came prepared with sauce and toppings. I just threw them in the oven and they were one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten. I also picked up great tuna steaks that had been caught that morning. Vicki mentioned that she would be making some of her "Asian Tuna Burgers" later that week. She took my number and called when they were available. Again, I wowed people just by following her instructions and throwing them on the grill. They were the best! Harbor House also has fresh and frozen chowders, onion rings and hush puppies. What are hush puppies you ask? Just ask Vicki...she'll smile and tell you how you too can prepare some great authentic meals while visiting Cape Hatteras. Dining on delicacies from Harbor House at sunset on the deck is truly an unforgettable culinary experience. Can't wait to return in April!

• Visited October 2014

Heusweiler
“Fresh seafood on the southern Outer Banks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

On our second visit to the Outer Banks we took again the chance of getting some real fresh shrimps and scallops at this shop. We will be back soon.

• Visited March 2014
Chardon
“Wonderful! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

Don't miss out on a visit to see Vicki! You will find great seafood and suggestions on how best to prepare it. We look forward to stopping here several times during our trips to Hatteras. You know you are supporting a wonderful family business AND buying fresh seafood! ❤️

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

The food we had from Harbor House ended up being one of the high points of our week. We bought sheepshead (white, flaky, sweet tasting fish) to cook two nights, and it was terrific, pristinely fresh. On another night, we had cajun steamed shrimp, which was also wonderful, along with cole slaw that Vicki whipped up between customers.

Vicki is just an amazing and wonderful lady who was a pleasure to work with. She truly went out of her way to help us enjoy the food. It was some of the most superb service we've ever had. If you go, keep in mind that it's not a restaurant in the truest sense. It's really about the carry-out, either raw or cooked. Also, there's not always a gigantic selection, since she only sells what was just caught. But you can be certain that whatever you buy is incredibly fresh--which makes all the difference.

• Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
St. Leonard, MD
“Outstanding Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2014

I've been to Hatteras many times, but never stopped into Harbor House. I read some great reviews so I thought I would give it a try. All I can say, is that Vicki (the owner) made our first night so wonderful after our bad trip getting to the island. Our trip normally takes 6.5 hours and this one took 8.5 so we arrived really late and didn't feel like cooking or going out, but wanted something we could eat at our condo. We arrived 10 minutes before closing time and she was as nice as could be. She prepared the crab and shrimp enchiladas which were to die for! We apologized for walking in so late and she acted like it was no big deal and even gave us a side salad and dessert on the house just to make our night better because of the bad drive we had. If that isn't true customer service I don't know what is! We ended up going back another night during the week and had the delicious steamed shrimp. Note: this is not a sit-down restaurant, it is carry-out and the best carry-out on the island! You can either purchase prepared seafood or seafood you can cook yourself. This place is a hidden gem - don't pass it by!

• Visited September 2014