“ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PACK YOUR OWN SANDWICHES” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Hammondsport, New York
“ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PACK YOUR OWN SANDWICHES”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Let me start by saying I do not usually give bad reviews no matter what. After all, any place can have a bad day, and I am an easy going kind of person, but our experience was horrible. After spending a week on the coast with family, we decided to ferry to Hatteras Lighthouse. Got on the Cedar Island Ferry at 10 am. Off to Ocaracoke, then Hatteras. We landed around 3:30 in the afternoon on Saturday and all 10 of us were famished. One of the only places open at the time was the Hatteras Deli. My family ordered first. I odered the spreader which advertised ham, pepperoni, salami, provolone, lettuce tomato, bananna peppers and italian dressing. (no mention to me they were out of anything) 2 grilled cheese for the kids, son orders gaffer which boasts 3 meats, 2 cheeses etc, picked his 3 meats and 2 cheeses (again, no mention they were out of desired items).Paid for our order, and when it was delivered there was a lot to be desired. Not one lick of mayo on any sandwich, no fries (which we paid extra for), got 2 bites of coleslaw for the extra dollar fifty, no pepperoni, salami or lettuce on mine, (substituted turkey? which I dislike) son got 2 of the 3 meats and one cheese on his. When we asked for a discount we were told they didn't give discounts. When brother ordered he was told they were out of lettuce and some of the meats and was able to change his desired order.(we were already on the porch waiting for our food) He ordered 3 of his sandwiches on sub rolls and got wheat bread instead (out of sub rolls?). Part of the party asked for a refund (which was like pulling teeth to get) and promptly left. Those of us who stayed behind were sadly disappointed and left feeling very frustrated. The place is a deli for petes sake! Tourist season is in full swing and you don't have lettuce or fries? No chicken tenders, no salami, pepperoni, bacon and I can't remember what else.If we weren't so hungry we thought we would chew our arms off, and the grilled cheese people had started eating, we all would have left. Choices are limited on the island, but this place is definitely not the place to go if you want a decent sandwich. Subway serves a better sandwich for a better price. The only thing that saved this review from being terrible, was that the grilled cheese sandwiches the kids ordered, were the only thing that was as described. Maybe the magnitude of what they were out of was only evident because there were 10 of us together, but we dropped close to 100 dollars combined for substandard service and food (they seemed confused by the fact that we were upset that we didn't get what we paid for, and weren't told they were out of all this stuff). If we had known we weren't getting what we wanted, we would have opted to go somewhere else before ordering, paying and biting into sandwiches that weren't as ordered. (once I bit into it, I felt I had to eat it).

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
FirebirdNC, Owner at Harbor Deli, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
As the owner I apologize that you were not satisfied with you experience at the deli. I know I personally was not made aware of your dissatisfaction with your meal and treatment. You must have ordered from an old to go menu as we have not had pepperoni on the spreader since last year. We changed it to Turkey since the feedback we got was too much salt with the Salami. The 4 oz side of coleslaw is not $1.50 it is .75 the fries are $1.50. Running out of food is usually not an issue but the large walk in freezer gave up the ghost in the heat wave the week before and we have been very limited on how much product we can keep on hand. I promise if you were to give us another try you would not be disappointed. We do NOT take our food or customer service lightly and I WILL be getting to the bottom of who you dealt with and why you were treated so poorly. My name is Jennifer and our number is listed here. Please feel free to contact me personally. Again I apologize that your meal was not what it should have been.

Central PA
“Great Food To-Go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011 via mobile

Great sandwiches to-go or you can sit on their air-conditioned sunporch and eat. Also, they start serving breakfast (breakfast sandwiches) at 5 am. Highly recommended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Damascus, MD, USA
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I've been coming here for breakfast and luch to go for many years. Great selections for a day on the water, or to take back to your room. They have made many improvements recently. Always clean and friendly.
Phil Jones, MD, USA

• Visited June 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Great food and a great place to eat overlooking the boats and enjoying a nice breeze. We go to OBX every year and the deli is always a must! Sweet potato fries are amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Buxton
“OM NOM NOM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The deli has some of the most delicious and comforting food around. The menu items (including the best Philly cheese steak I've ever had) contain everything from fresh caught fish sandwiches, including an amazing awesome shrimp burger, to incredibly indulgent funnel cake fries. If you're around in Hatteras the deli is most definitely a stop to make.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere