“Wonderful Time” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Farms, Ranch & Farm
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Just visited the farm last weekend, with two of our kids. We had such a great time. Have to admit the best part was being in the barn with the goats. They are so loving and playful. The staff was wonderful, we did just about everything and are anxious for a return trip. So nice to have some old fashion fun!

Visited October 2013

Salem, New Hampshire
“Pre-bought coupon not what you expect ...farm wants more of your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

After buying passes from an outside source -- couptopia or something similar, my family of 4 headed out to Charmingfare Farm. Imagine my surprise when I was told that, in addition to the money we already spent on our passes, the farm wanted an additional $35/$17 each from my husband and I if "we planned to accompany" our very young children on the hayride. WHAT? We already paid you! Not for the hayride, we were told. This was for Easter..there was virtually nothing else going on! The so-called egg hunt was a joke. Really poorly planned. There was absolutely NO mention of the required extra money when our passes were purchased. This was not our first visit to this farm, but it was certainly our last. I highly recommend a visit to Charmingfarm if you are willing to be misled and ripped off!

Visited April 2013
“Overpriced, depressing, waste of time!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We decided to go here on a Sunday afternoon, even though the ticket prices seemed high. Several of the zoo animals seemed crowded, agitated, hungry or ill. The nocturnal animals were all awake and seemed out of sorts. The raccoon acted like it hadn't seen food in days. The coyotes were in cramped cages with no visible water or food. One of the bears seemed to be experiencing some sort of discomfort. The difference between the obvious appearance of the bears here vs the bears at Clark's was startling. The animals that did have water sources had low, stagnant water. Several empty or dilapidated cages. Several animals could not be easily seen by the kids. Birds of Prey was disappointing, to say the least. Chickens smelled too bad to even go near. The most disappointing part was that after paying $17 each to get in, feed was an additional $3 per tiny bag. My son had his bag for 5 minutes before the goats managed to rip the bag. We sent him with another $3 to get a replacement bag. As we were leaving the woman at the front recognized my son and said " Did you have better luck with the 2nd bag?" This means she knew what happened and still charged him for the 2nd bag. I realize its a business but with what they charge for entry and considering half the exhibits were MIA, better customer service could have made all the difference in the world. All in all, the animals depressed all of us and we wanted to release most of them. We will not be back.

Visited September 2013
BOSTON, MA
“Great farm - fun for family, but zoo part was sad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I will start by saying I am a big supported of local farms and believe in animal welfare. I love the farm and feel that the "farm" animals are treated with kindness and love. My family and I got great pleasure of feeding the goats, llamas, and sheep. The tractor ride and horse drawn hay ride were very nice, especially on a late summer afternoon.
I think they can do without the "zoo" part; perhaps expand more on the "farm" aspect. The zoo animals seemed stressed - pacing back and forth. The nocturnal animals (skunk, raccoon were wide awake during the day and again paced). The enclosures seem small and isolated - even my 6 year old commented on how sad the bears looked.
Overall - I would recommend for other families, as I said the farm part is very nice and the grounds are beautiful - but I wish they would consider moving the zoo animals to a sanctuary or at the very least, offer larger enclosures with additional stimulation.

It was a little pricey, compared to other places like it - a little much for a big family ($15 2yrs +); under 2 free

Visited September 2013
“Nice and clean, probably over-priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I would like to see greater emphasis on teaching people about farming, and animal husbandry with the domesticated species. I love that stuff!

The wild species on display elicit more pity than wonder, which is understandable given small enclosures with wild natures. Small zoos really can't occupy a good space in this area...it's too expensive.

At the least, come to pet their affectionate goats and at least view the magnificent Oxen Team they maintain and bring to all the local fairs.

Visited August 2013