“Never Again! Health Board should investigate!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 9 Restaurants in Campton
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Boston
“Never Again! Health Board should investigate!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I wrote a review two years ago when we were referred to this restaurant when we were in the area for a wedding. We loved the place --- atmosphere, food, service --- were excellent. Reason why we went back there this summer (Aug 2012). In walking in, the carpet was filthy, the area leading into the kitchen that was visible behind the "hostess" area had a pail/mop in the corner and some other non-appetizing stuff hanging around. I ignored it --- bad mistake. The meal was awful --- I didn't even finish. My husband said his was edible. We paid the bill and left. As we were leaving there litterally was a brush broom leaned up again the door jam that we had to exit to leave. On the way out we saw an "outdoor seating" area --- it looked very run down --- not an area that would make you feel comfortable. Not sure what happened in the interim two years -- but I'm not going back to find out!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Michigan
“Always packed!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've eaten in the dining room once and in the bar area a few times. Every time I go in, the bar is packed! The food is good, but the crowded bar makes for less than superior service. Prices are reasonable and they have a good selection of both food and drinks. I just wish I could find a time to go in when it wasn't so busy!

Visited August 2012
Maine
“Took a chance and it was worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just visited the Lincoln area for a few days, and I'm glad I ate here! I was a little hesitant because of a couple of the other reviews, but I was intrigued by the menu (http://sunsetgrillnh.com/SunsetGrill_Menu.pdf), and we ended up really enjoying our meal. The building inside & out *is* getting a little worn and could use some TLC, which I'm sure has more than a little to do with the economy recently but may also point to a bit of disinterest by management. However, the kitchen obviously takes some care with the food (from reading below, I gather there's a chef-owner overseeing things, which is what swung the pendulum in favor of our trying it), and our waitress (Trish?) was just great. Food rundown: Clam chowder was slightly thickened (which I like, though being a Mainer, admitting to that might get me run out of town!), could have used a few more clams, and needed the potatoes cut smaller, though the overall flavor was just wonderful. Fried ravioli appeared to have been breaded in-house and came with a tasty homemade marinara with a nice little kick to it. Ribs (not my entree, but I took a taste) were not a bit dry, and the sauce had a good spicy/sweetness. Loved the piri-piri, (how often do you see that on a menu?) which had shrimp, scallops, Portuguese sausage, veggies, and spices over linguini; it also had some heat to it, and both the seafood and the veggies were perfectly cooked (the former was tender, the latter nicely crisp). Desserts are obviously homemade—Kahlua mousse pie and tapioca were great. Overall, I guess I'd have to chalk up the negative reviews to the restaurant having an off day or two; personally, I'd like to go back to try some other items on the menu.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Campton, New Hampshire
“I wish we had eaten at McDonald's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just plain awful. I decided to take my boyfriend and myself out to dinner, unfortunately gave this place another try because it is close. Horrible. I got the salmon, worst meal I have had in a very ong time. The salmon was dry as dry could be with absolutely no seasoning on it. The mashed potatoes were equally dry could and horrific. The broccoli was either frozen or murdered when cooking, either way it was disgusting. With my salad I ordered "italian" and my boyfriend ordered thousand island, come to find out the Italian dressing is just thousand island with some water. Dont waste your money. Go down the road maybe one mile to Tonys, its a little more expensive but sooo worth it compared to this "food". Excuse the typos, this is on my phone but I was so annoyed with tbis "meal" that I didnt want to wait. Dont go there!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mason, New Hampshire
“Our usual stop when in the area.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

A little pricy, but good food and plenty of it. Friendly, helpful staff, endless coffee, excellent homemade desserts. Eat inside or on their patio.

Visited July 2012