“We had a great time despite having to sleep IN a severely dented mattress for three nights after making the hotel aware of our d” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Mount Washington Resort

You added Omni Mount Washington Resort to your Saves list
Omni Mount Washington Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   310 Mount Washington Hotel Road, Bretton Woods, NH 03575 (Formerly the Mount Washington Hotel & Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bretton Woods
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I wish I felt like we could return to this hotel. It is a beautiful place in a great setting. But, after lying in serene comfort on our quite ordinary bed at home last night, I realized that if they would not replace their broken mattress for us, there was probably another couple sleeping on it. We won't be going back. This is my first ever online review of anything. I feel a duty to warn.

The king mattress in our room had a sinkhole on one side, my girlfriends, unfortunately. It was visible with the bed made. We are not big people. 125 and 130 pounds respectively. We fell into that side of the bed automatically and were jammed together in the hole. Each night I eventually commando crawled to the far edge of my side, which had a smaller dent, but there was no escape for my girlfriend. We complained after our second night and the beginnings of a backache for my girlfriend that prevented her from skiing that day. The hotel did comp her a massage. The "carpenter" evaluated the situation. We we told they flipped the mattress. But nothing changed. For the remaining two nights of our stay it was the same hole, same side, a few more fruitless conversations with hotel staff and we went home and finally got a good sleep.

The room otherwise was fine. Not super clean. There is no pay per view or even premium cable so no movies. We did not miss wifi. We use iPhones. We started with one facecloth. Once we spoke with our housekeeper we were inundated with towels of every size. We did run out of tissues at one point. The tv picture had old-fashioned diagonal lines across it. No big deal. The not reliably functional remote made my mild-mannered girlfriend curse.

Skiing was great. There was lots of new snow. I appreciated the varied terrain. The dogsled ride was truly a spectacular experience. Food and service at The Bretton Arms were quite good. You can do all that, I think, without being a hotel guest.

Stickney's is just adequate. We did not eat in the dining room.The outdoor pool was not as warm as you would hope and had clumps of hair floating in it. The cabana was full of used towels. The indoor pool was crowded and on the night of our arrival the pool area smelled so strongly of old diaper we did not swim. The hot tub there is very crowded and not that hot.

I had a decent massage. My girlfriend had two, one of which was really good. The outdoor hot tub in the spa area is actually hot but access is only for those paying for treatments that day.

For the past few years I have been taking similar midweek skiing getaways. The Mount Washington resort was certainly the least comfortable and for that reason probably the least luxurious feeling of all. Sugar Bush and Stowe have far superior accommodations and more seamless service. Since skiing is so snow dependent, I would probably even go back to Okemo, where there was room for improvement at their Jackson Gore Inn a few years ago before returning to this resort. At least they have reliable snow. I would have been thoroughly miserable at the Omni Mt. Washington if I hadn't been able to ski.

• Stayed February 2013
Milton H, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit and for the additional information provided through this venue which had not been provided through out internal survey. I am sorry that the team failed to satisfactorily correct the issue with the mattress. The front desk manager, in speaking with your girlfriend, was under the impression that the bed board placed in the room and the turning of the mattress had corrected the issue. I do wish we would have been informed otherwise so the mattress could have been change immediately. I have had the mattress in the room changed since I now know that the steps taken did not rectify the issue. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you as our guest and I apologize that we failed to deliver the experience you had envisioned.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Portsmouth, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The Mount Washington is in a unique and beautiful spot without much competition nearby so they won't be hurting for customers anytime soon. We have always visited around Christmas when it's decorated and it's a bit of a family tradition now. The valet parking guys here are great with all the traffic coming and going. The whole front of the hotel works great. The hotel is pricey; $600 a room is what we spent but we had two beds in it, so it's what we usually spend on 2 rooms. And 2 rooms is better when you're with teens, I should add, but not affordable here. We consider it an occasional treat because of it's grand style and my kids love the atmosphere. We made reservations through Omni and it included dinner but when we arrived they said the dining room was full and we didn't have reservations. That was strange considering we purchased the room with the meals! So they gave us a rebate for the dinner part. We were bummed. Then... we ate in the dining room anyway because there was nowhere else to eat locally and we saw they had empty tables in the dining room after all. (Someone has to get organized here!) The food is adequate, good but not great. (again you are a captive audience). Upon leaving, my husband left his computer in the room and we called as soon as we got home. They said they'd ship it - no problem. It took over a week! After all the money we spent, they shipped it on a boat or by camel. We would have paid extra if they requested it! A computer is my husband's life. That was a mistake in my book for the level that this hotel is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the opportunity you provided us to serve and I apologize that we missed our opportunity to provide stellar service with our concierge team in booking your meals and with our security team with the lost and found. This type of feedback helps us improve our services for all our guests and is greatly appreciated. Thank you also for the kind words regarding our team at the front; I will share your comments with them as this provides a great source of encouragement for the associates. We look forward to your next visit and providing exemplary service for you and your family.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really wanted to love this hotel, as these grand hotels are a vanishing breed. And there was lots to like: the service was very friendly and helpful, from the valet to the concierge to the waitstaff, the location is great, they made getting to the ski mountain incredibly easy, and there are lots of activities for kids. And the rooms, while a little dated, were clean and comfortable.

The primary issue is the food, which is overpriced and not particularly good. Granted, we avoided the main dining room for dinner based on other reviews citing poor value, so we only ate dinner at Stickney's and breakfast in the dining room. As others have said, I wished there were an a la carte option during breakfast, as I didn't want to have to spend $20 on breakfast. In retrospect, I would have headed straight for the mountain and gotten breakfast there: it's still expensive but at least you control what you spend. We ate at Stickney's twice, and while the staff was attentive and friendly, the food quality was just OK. The bread was low-quality supermarket bread and my hamburger was very over-cooked.

Two other areas for improvement: wifi access and pay-per-view, neither of which seemed available, and the outdoor pool, which my 12-y.o. daughter loved but which was quite dirty and not nearly warm enough for winter swimming.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but the prices seem high for the quality.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback provided and for the compliments regarding many aspect of our resort. I apologize that our restaurants failed to meet your expectations and that you were not made aware of the a la carte breakfast option at the Bretton Arms Restaurant. We are working on changes in our restaurants due to feedback from our guest and expect that with your next visit you will find our dining options will provide you with a more positive experience. Thank you for being our guest and the opportunity you provided us to serve you.
Westport, Ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

In spite of the fact that the various criticisms in the previous reviews are valid, we had a wonderful february vacation week here with our teenagers, and the overall experience actually exceeded expectations.

This unique historic hotel boasts one of the most beautiful locations on the east coast. We were drawn to the resort for the nordic skiing and there is simply no better, more scenic, more expansive place for nordic skiing in the Northeast (okay -- to be fair, I have not been to Craftsbury, Vermont. But Trapp Family Lodge, while lovely and the closest rival I can think of, is largely too challenging for the average intermediate skiier). The views of the Mt Washington range from the hotel rooms and public areas are fantastic. The outdoor pool has breathtaking views too. Bretton Woods ski area has expanded, was easy to use, and the shuttle system worked surprisingly well -- at least during a busy vacation week, there was very little waiting. Dinner in the dining room with a dance band was a throw back to the 1950's in a fun way -- kids and parents were doing the foxtrot beneath a gorgeous turn of the century chandelier, etc. The food in the dining room and Bretton Arms Inn was very good, but notably expensive. The other food outlets in the building were only fair and could certainly be improved.

Negatives? As other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is noisy. Long corridors with wooden doors make for clattering sounds -- and the wind whistled around our room, surprisingly loudly. More disturbing, the windows of our room were littered with flies --and since i've seen this referred to in other reviews, I suspect management knows about this issue and should certainly take steps to caulk old windows, spray where needed and constantly clean windows and light fixtures (when I mentioned the problem to the housekeeper, he said they took care of the flies with a vacuum -- sorry, not remotely sufficient)
Otherwise, the room, a corner vista, was fresh and pretty with a comfortable bed and had amazing views. (It's true, by the way that the flat screen TV's have fuzzy analog pictures, but honestly, if you care a lot about this -- this probably isn't your kind of place...!)

The hotel was filled with young children and extended families over vacation week and I think it would be a great place to come with younger kids. The tubing hill was terrific, the sleigh ride was lovely -- there's a lot to do, and the big old hotel is a cool place for kids! The downhill ski mountain offers lots of beginner slopes with some easy intermediate and expert trails -- it's all very family friendly in stunningly beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, the views towards Mt Washington are the best.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Mount Washington is one of the few remaining "grand hotels" in New Hampshire. The setting overlooking Mount Washington is breathtaking. The property is beautiful in the style of a bygone era with high ceilings, white columns and 2 large fireplaces. There is a coziness to this place that newer hotels just can not provide. The service is outstanding, there is easy access to the slopes via a shuttle service that runs 24/7. There are nightly movies for children a number of different restaurants to choose from, and of course high tea (strongly recommend it). One draw back, their Internet connection is almost none existent, which in a way may be a blessing in disguise. The MW is closer than VT if you are coming from the Boston area (just a 3 hour drive), and not as far as The Balsams in Dixville Notch, another grand hotel.

Scarborough, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were able to get a last minute reservation at the Omni Mt. Washington for the beginning of winter break. It was very packed so we were grateful! I read through many trip advisor reviews and felt well armed with information I needed. Many reviews made me very nervous about the room size, meal situation, and condition of the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised and really had a lovely quick visit. We stayed 2 nights, 3 days and traveled with out 8 year old son. Our arrival to the Omni was as lovely as everyone says - bell and door staff were quick, friendly, and full of information. My check in experience was pretty grim with someone who was not friendly, didn't give me any information of the hotel and informed us the early check in we were guaranteed was not happening. This meant potentially sitting for two hours. As I glanced around I noticed while there are tons of seats and areas to hang out - they were full to the max with people who looked to be sitting for hours. So my review is really to tell the good and the bad. Overall, we had a very lovely time and will return. My attitude is really more about be prepared and know what you are getting. 10 minutes after the horrendous check in process I went back to the front and spoke to someone. 15 minutes later he found us where we were sitting with a room ready. Room 419 is a lovely room with a view of the mountains. It is L shaped and accommodated the cot for my son and left us room to move around. I will say, walls are very thin as many reviews state. We had a door to the room next to ours and could hear every word and movement of the people in the next room. Fortunately after one loud conversation, they settled in and we didn't hear them again. My recommendation is ask for an end of the hall room. I used the spa while my family hit the slopes for the day. I booked by email ahead of time and my experience was excellent, relaxing, and totally worth the amount paid for a package of treatments. My son and husband took the shuttle skiing and had a totally fun day. Shuttle was quick and easy, slopes were good for family skiing. My big heads up about is more about the things to do. It was really cold and we didn't venture out other than the skiing. That left the inside of the hotel for our activities and meals. There simply isn't enough room for all the people. The arcade was constantly packed with kids not moving from the games. There aren't enough arcade games in there or space for all the kids. The pool was packed every time we ventured a look, except from 8-10am on check out day. Morning swimming was great! The seating areas were crowded and people seemed to set up house and stay for hours. It's a lovely hotel, the room was lovely, and the food was good. My suggestion is get all your reservations for spa and meals made before you arrive or you are at the whim of chance to get anything. We ate a large meal at Stickley's early and ordered dinner room service on the first day. Each meal we ordered was a promised 30 minutes for room service and at best it was 45. The food was good when it arrived and we were happy to hang out waiting and know we were at least getting food. My other 'thing' was wifi. While I saw many people using their various electronics, we were only able to connect one laptop to the wifi - not the other laptop, iPhones, iPad, or itouch. We simply couldn't connect. We called and no one ever called us back. I'm not sure what happened as it seemed people were connecting. So I used my kindle and was happy I had preloaded many books! I do wish I'd brought more for my son to do - such as games, books. I simply wasn't thinking ahead enough for our last minute trip. Overall, I recommend this property. We had fun and as long as we flowed with the crowds, waiting, and challenges around wifi - it was all okay. We went in knowing the costs of room, food, and unexpected charges thanks to other reviews. The 18% or 20% gratuity is included with everything you sign and there is a $25 a day resort fee. These things are never mentioned so I'm glad the trip advisor reviews told me! Did I get the value for the dollar paid? I'm really not sure I can say yes. I can say we had fun and so we'd return. Hope this helps inform you for your stay!

Room Tip: We stayed at the end of the hall well away from the elevator. We had room 419, facing Mt. Washingto...
new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Mount Washington on Valentine's Day. The room was delightful, the service was excellent, and the food could not have been better. The Mount Washington is a great place to get away, enjoy the scenery - our room looked directly at Mount Washington - walk the verandas, and enjoy excellent food in historic surroundings. The Mount Washington can't be compared to a modern hotel, nor should it. It's an old and historic New Hampshire grand hotel, a relic of a previous era, and that is a special experience that shouldn't be compared to sleek, modern lodgings. We have enjoyed The Balsams before, and now that it is closed, we opted to try the Mount Washington and were not disappointed. We even received a gift of champagne and truffles for our anniversary. While not cheap, the dinner and buffet breakfast were tasty, filling and creative. An out of the ordinary place for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!