“Beware of Ongoing Fire Alarm Problem: 2 Stays and 2 Fire Alarms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Omni Mount Washington Resort

You added Omni Mount Washington Resort to your Saves list
Omni Mount Washington Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   310 Mount Washington Hotel Road, Bretton Woods, NH 03575 (Formerly the Mount Washington Hotel & Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bretton Woods
Portland, Maine
“Beware of Ongoing Fire Alarm Problem: 2 Stays and 2 Fire Alarms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My family stayed at the resort this past weekend, which was our second time visiting the hotel (past stay was in July 2012). On both of our visits a fire alarm went off in the middle of the night where all guests had to evacuate the hotel and wait for about 40 minutes before we could return to our rooms. This past weekend it occurred at 1am and the previous time it was 5am. The first time I thought we were just unlucky, but after this happened a second time I began to inquire with hotel staff and people familiar with the hotel and I was told that this is not an infrequent event - they seem to have an overly sensitive alarm that triggers easily without there being a fire - examples I was given was dust, cigarette smoke, etc can set it off.

I spoke to the hotel director the next morning and he gave me the party line that safety is their first concern and that this doesn't happen that often..... this runs contrary to the information I received from staff at the hotel and our own experience. If the hotel wants to respond to this post with statistics of how many fire alarms have gone off in the last couple of years and not marketing spin, I think it would be useful to potential guests to understand the risk.

By the way, I wrote an email to Omni several days ago to voice my complaint and I received no follow-up response.

Other than this not so minor issue we liked the hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
OmniManager_1, Manager at Omni Mount Washington Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. We apologize for the inconvenience you endured, and we will be responding directly to the email you filed with the Omni corporate office earlier. As you did enjoy the hotel itself, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Bretton Woods again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Short Hills, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Despite my one star rating, the hotel property and surroundings are special. This could be a great hotel. Unfortunately, issues with service/cleanliness/safetey completely ruined our experience.

1. Room cleanliness. When we first surveyed our room and bathroom we immediately noticed the bathroom was not clean. In fact, there was fecal matter on and around the toilet, including the handle to flush the toilet. We called the front desk and after about 20 minutes staff visited our room, apologized for the issue, and cleaned the bathroom. The response was acceptable, although I expected a follow up call from the front desk, but the existence of fecal matter was unacceptable, especially for an upscale Omni.

2. The Fire Alarm & Lack of Evacuation Plan. During our second night's stay, we woke up at 2am to the sound of a fire alarm. We immediately bundled up our young children to go outside. When we opened the door to our room, there were no staff in the halls and no direction as to where we should go. Just confused guests. So, we proceeded down the closest fire exist stairs. When we reached the bottom of the stairs and opened the door, it was pitch black. Just snow and trees. No lights. There was no visible path to take our children to the front of the hotel -- a few other guests apparently did trudge through the snow. We were basically stuck in the freezing cold. Not wanting to climb the stairs back into the hotel -- in case there was a real fire -- we waited in the stairwell with the door propped open. No one from the hotel ever came to the door. One of us eventually decided to return to our room to get our cell phones and some blankets. There was still no staff in the halls. No one was checking the rooms or giving directions. So, once we had our cell phones, we called the front desk and said we were stuck in a stairwell with our young children. The front desk said it was crazy up there and we would need to call back. We were stunned. A little later the fire alarm stopped and we called back to the front desk to ask if it was safe to return to our rooms (it wasn't even clear to us that fire trucks had visited the hotel). The front desk said they didn't know what had happened. Feeling unsafe to go back to sleep, we decided to return to our room and pack our things. When we got back to our room, there was still no staff in the halls. No one was checking the rooms or giving any explanation as to what happened. Amazingly, the hotel seemed to have no fire safety/evacuation plan, or at least didn't implement one. So, at 3am, we called the front desk and said we were checking out.

3. The Hotel's Response. None. When we called the front desk, they again offered no explanation or apology. They simply said they'd send up a bell person. When we arrived downstairs, the lobby was deserted. There was no one at the front desk. There was no one to give us a folio of our stay. The bellman simply commented that it would be a long trip back to the NYC area and warned us to watch out for moose. Despite these bizarre events, we did not receive a follow up call or email from the hotel that day or the next day or ever. The hotel simply charged our credit card without even giving us a bill. So, I called Omni corporate and reported the issue. The Omni rep was friendly and understanding and told me the hotel GM would call me back within 48 hours. Nonetheless, I haven't heard from the GM. And I still don't have a folio of my charges. Throughout this ordeal, there was probably about 10 things Omni could have done to make these issues a little more palatable and they haven't done any of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We are terribly sorry for the inconveniences you endured during your recent stay. The issues you were faced with regarding cleanliness and the unfortunate fire alarm are not acceptable by our standards, and we will be investigating all of our procedures thoroughly. Thank you for your detailed feedback. We have received your contact information from the corporate office and will be in touch with you soon to discuss in further detail. Thank you for choosing the Omni Mount Washington Hotel, and we hope that you will give us the privilege of meeting all of your expectations during a future visit.
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We (6 Adults + one 4year old) spent 3 nights at this beautiful historical hotel from 1Jan to 4Jan 2013. Although we arrived at a busy time of day, Valet, Check-In and Bags were taken care of promptly and smoothly. Our King-Size Bedroom with walk-in-closet on the 3rd floor was spacious and the updated bathroom was very clean. The bed was very comfortable!
Taking in the atmosphere, design and unique furnishing of the hotel itself makes you think of the phrase: "Once upon a time...". Very tasteful, cozy and comfortable place. And even though the Hotel seems very large it is personable. My husband and I did not ski, but did the tubing which was lots of fun. Another couple with the 4 year old enjoyed tubing, the dog-sleighing and swimming in the indoor pool. The Outdoor Pool was open as well and every now and then you would see some daring people climb out of the pool, but with 20 below it was a bit chilly for our taste. :) There is a shuttle to the Nordic Center Ski Lift, however my husband and I walked it in about 25 minutes.Take the lift to "Latitude 44" to warm up with Hot-Cocoa and a Shot of Baileys. - Or get the "Michael" mix: Baileys with Hot Cocoa! :) Thanks Michael! The Breakfast Buffet at the Hotel was outstanding!! Everything your heart would desire and more. Always beautifully set up and always hot. Loved all the variety of fresh fruit. For Dinner I highly recommend "Stickneys" on the patio Level of the Omni. Simply put: Excellent! The food, the atmosphere and service. Even the Steaks were cooked to perfection. Just be prepared that you may have to wait about 30-40 minutes for your dinner to be prepared. Did not bother us, we sipped our beverages and enjoyed good conversation while waiting.
Two things I would say did not impress me: The first evening we dined at "The Dining Room" and everything, really everything was horrible. The staff, the waiting (3and1/2hours until done dining), the food (cold). However to their defense, the reason for the disaster was explained to us the next day: The kitchen of "Stickneys" had totally failed, meaning all of the guests who had reservations there were dining along with everyone else in "The Dining Room". So the Reservations turned from 100 to 300 Diners in one Restaurant in a very short amount of time. The kitchen help and waiters of "Stickneys" helped in "The Dining Room" but were totally lost seeing that the menu is different and the kitchen is different. So it was a crazy night for everyone there! However, we did not "re-try" the "Dining Room" and stuck with "Stickneys". Also, I am assuming there are lots of Interns staffed at the Hotel: I asked a young lady for a fork and she handed it to me fork side down, meaning her hand was all over the fork. I mean, who does that? Also, although we had used the glasses in the room for wine and beverages, they were never replaced - they just sat there for 3 days - dirty! - Also, if you are a light sleeper, be prepared to be awakened by the radiator between 3 and 4am.
Overall though - we had a great time and may go back some day. Maybe in the Summer or the Fall next time.

Room Tip: We had front-side view, but the backside view of Mount Washington is prettier.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a great time at the Omni Mount Washington during the Christmas holiday season. My wife and I enjoyed the brand new spa along with all its amenities. The spa menu was very unique and memorable. The dining facilities were great and there were lots of activities that kept us busy during the holidays.

Room Tip: Best Views in New Hampshire!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

From the minute you walk in you know that you are in a special place. There is a bell captain in the lobby to greet you and help you check in. The expansive entry hallway has a luxurious old world feel, and down each of the hallways are stewards armed with a smile and the time to chat or show you the way to your next destination.

Outside there is a beautiful viranda deck surrounded by mountain views in every direction and staffed to make your stay in this mountain wonderland as relaxing as possible.Inside their are 3 restaurants that give you such a wide array of choices that you need go nowhere else. My favorite was Stickneys the casual lower lever restaurant, relaxing, and enjoyable. To sum up my experience, I felt that The Mt. Washington Hotel gave us the pampered luxury of a bygone era. The sort of treatment the Rockefellers or Vanderbilts might have enjoyed.

Stayed November 2012,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We enjoyed every minute of our 2 day stay at the Mount Washington. The service is superb! The views are breathtaking. The food is very good. The sleigh ride was extremely romantic! We would do it again in a minute. It was my "60th" ,so we did the canopy zip line tour, that was incredible...Do not miss this spectacular vacation!!!

Room Tip: Corner suites with a great view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I are fans of the "grand old style" hotels and this one did not disappoint. Sure, there are certain compromises when a hotel was built a 100 years or so ago, but the ambiance and experience of the Mount Washington made our time there memorable. Exposed sprinkler pipes, rooms "cut up and redone" over time - sometimes done well, others, not so much - wind blowing through the window borders, peeling paint on the outside, and other rough edges were barely noticed in light of the grandeur and atmosphere of the place. And even with the leaky windows, we never felt a draft or were cold.

After a 3+ hour drive from the Manchester airport (normally 2) in a snow storm on snow covered highways and roads, deer in the middle of the interstate, low beams only (can't use high beams - can't see anything), and really no one else on the road about 50 miles north of Manchester, we arrived at the hotel at 12:30 in the morning. (They plow around the cities and towns during snow storms - the northern interstate and roads come later, apparently). After slip-sliding-schlephing to the north country, we arrived and well, no one came out. Wind chill of about minus 10. Can't blame them, who arrives at a hotel at 12:30am? Melissa at the front desk was very accommodating and gave us our room key. Dick did show up at reception and offer to valet our car. (If it's snowing or going to snow, get an AWD or 4WD as we did - front wheel drive isn't enough for those not used to driving in snow.)

The bell hop brought our bags to the room and well, we didn't really like the room. It was late, we were tired, so we opted to deal with it the next day. The room didn't seem like the "300 square feet with king" that the reservation promised. The bathroom had drop-ceiling tiles, a definite turn off for a "grand old style" high end hotel. The room, 263, was the first one next to the elevator. I would recommend not taking a room next to the elevator in this hotel, or one in the "rotunda" on the third and fourth floors. You can't hear the elevator but you can hear - very well - the dinging of the bell when it reaches the floor and the ones above and below you. All night. And when the staff enter the wing of the hotel, there are double doors that they hit with their carts as they pass through the hallway. These doors are right outside the room. So, it made for a night of being wakened up many times. Good news is this room was on the mountain-facing side of the hotel with a magnificent view. (Couldn't see Mt. Washington for several days - it was snowing, but great winter wonderland view up to the base of the mountains.) And speaking of elevators (they are old and small in this hotel, as to be expected), there was only one working and it broke our last day there. No big deal for us since we were on the second floor and we enjoyed walking down the main staircase past the picture window views of the mountains!

Next day, I went down and requested to change rooms. It was a busy time for the hotel and this was done with more difficulty than I expected. We had to pack and leave our bags with the front desk (they put them in the new room for us when we returned from skiing that day). The new room was bigger however, it faced the "industrial complex" e.g. the kitchen and power plant building but it did have a great view of the Bretton Woods ski resort over the roof of the industrial looking buildings.

The room was much quieter and good nights' sleep were had. The beds were very comfortable. And warm. However, if you like to nap during the day, there was a problem. Maybe it was the time of the year but there were a lot of young children at the hotel and in the halls. Yelling, screaming, running, and slamming doors. So, if you're a daytime nap person, it made it difficult. My wife called down a couple of times but hey, what are you going to do about bad parenting and unruly, bad-mannered kids lacking in the social graces? The hotel might put up signs or something letting those parents who think their kids "are so cute and playful" to keep a leash on them.

Recommendations for the hotel: 1) Put in "silent close" latches on the doors - they sound like drums when they close and most people didn't close their doors slowly to prevent the noise; 2) bathroom slippers would be great on the cold floors (heated bathroom floors maybe?), an excellent amenity for those of us who forgot our pool shoes and went to the pool in boots and a bathing suit); 3) and heated toilet seats would be nice.

For activities, we downhill skied. Take the shuttle from and back to the hotel. During peak times, if you choose to drive to the ski area, the parking is full at Bretton Woods and you have to walk a long ways to get to the slope. There are many other activities: zip-lining, cross-country skiing, dog sledding, skating, snow mobiling, etc. all arranged by the hotel if you want. Next time, we might try the dog sledding. But be prepared for the cold. Long underwear, mid-layer, sweater, ski pants, parka, gloves, hats, undermask, ski mask, the whole deal. It was minus 8 degrees with wind chill when we were skiing. We were comfortable and warm and had a good time, but it's only because we were prepared. One more thing: you get discounts at Bretton Woods if you are staying at the hotel so be sure to show them your room key to get them.

One thing we did that was not on my bucket list but we did anyways is the outdoor heated pool. That's right, swimming in 84 degree water with a 5 degree air temperature with cross country skiers passing in the background and snow everywhere! The hard part is getting out. As you make a break for the cabana locker rooms, you can't run too fast because of the ice everywhere! And then, the long walk back to the back door of the hotel. The hotel's robe helped but I might want to rethink strategy if there is a next time. The hot jacuzzi and warm pool inside the hotel helped warm our bones. The times we used the pool and jacuzzi, there were a lot of children (in the jacuzzi too), but the warmth was welcome after days out in the cold. As I stated, bring "pool shoes" because the hotel doesn't have bathroom slippers you can use.

My wife and I are avid fitness buffs and although we did visit the fitness room, we didn't workout on our stay. The fitness center seemed more than adequate to us. Other points: the wireless worked well and it's "free" but of course, it's part of that non-disclosed anywhere on the website or at check-in $25/day "resort fee." That ticked me off for a minute but heck, at this hotel, you're spending so much what's another $25/day? Actually, if there was another similar hotel in the area that has this fee and one that doesn't, I'd choose the one that doesn't. I just don't like being snookered by non-disclosed add-ons. In fact, this one aspect had me investigating the Grand Hotel in Whitesville (sp?) Without the resort fee, I would have probably made this hotel the only place to stay in the area. So for those hotel people who think they are getting away with something, this is the reality of how people think.

I'm more of a gourmand than a gourmet, so I won't comment on the food specifically. In all the restaurants in the hotel - and we ate in them all - and room service, it was all very good. I just wish higher end hotels would put coffee makers in the rooms. It's not the expense of ordering room service, it's the convenience. When I get up, I like to have coffee in the room when I get up. Not wait for room service or have my schedule be dictated by room service. There was "free" coffee at the entrance to the main dining room, but again, it's all about waking up with coffee in the room.

So, yes, stay at the Mt. Washington. Wander through the hallways, the grand lobby, the little side rooms, the former speakeasy in the basement, and take the hotel's history tour. Harken back to the glory days of the grand hotels and make some memories.

PS. The hotel is on the National Register and apparently, they are in the middle of ongoing renovations. The outside signature red roof has been redone and in the future, I'm sure they will be working on more of the "rough edges" in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Omni Mount Washington Resort? Share your experiences!