“Beautiful Mountain Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Mountain Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were looking for a place to stay in the White Mountains so that we could visit the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington, and do some hiking to waterfalls. Bear Mountain Lodge was a wonderful location for us. Beautiful rustic decor, peaceful wooded surroundings, nice deck to relax on, great breakfasts, and a hot tub (which we didn't use because we ended up spending our entire day out in the woods, taking advantage of the long daylight, but it looked inviting). Had a great time talking to the other guests (one couple from England). Bed was comfortable, and our room had a large bathroom with an interesting steam shower.

The only thing I could possibly make a negative comment about is that breakfast is from 8:30 to 9:30 which is a little more restrictive than most B&B's we've stayed in, but it wasn't too much of an issue for us. Might have been if we wanted to get on the early Cog train or do some early hiking. Hosts were very friendly and helpful in terms of finding local attractions. Definitely a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we enjoyed having you as our guests at Bear Mountain Lodge. We have many guests who stay with us to ride The Cog Railway and get out early to hike The Whites, especially those who are climbing Mt. Washington. For those guests leaving before breakfast is served, we always accommodate them with scones or fruit parfaits and there is always coffee and tea available 24 hours a day if they are up early and just want to grab some before they head out. Although we can't provide a full breakfast at those early hours, we certainly make sure that all guests have something to get them going to enjoy their day. Thanks.

Carol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our son sent myself and my husband to Bear Mtn resort for our 45th wedding annv.It was such
a wonderful place from the minute we entered the main lobby right through to the rooms .Michael and Carol were such wonderful host, They could not do enough for you . Carol knew my husband has a Gluten problem and took real good care to see that he got the proper foods, And
was able to have just as good a breakfast as everyone else. There was always coffee or tea and cupcakes on the sideboard and Michael made gluten free cookiies so my husband was able to have a little snack

Ernie & Helen Hannaford

Room Tip: The cowboy room has it!s own gas fireplace
CarolKNH, Owner at Bear Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Helen: It was such a pleasure to have you and Ernie stay with us to celebrate your 45th Anniversary. I can only hope that Michael and I make it to 45 years, we're just at 15 years next month. We try very hard to accommodate guests with gluten and dairy intolerances which is much easier when guests live yourselves let us know prior to arrival so that we can plan. Those gluten free cookies are pretty good, sometimes my other guests eat them up too. And I'm working on a few new breakfast dishes that are gluten (and dairy when needed) free so that I can continue to make every guest a great breakfast even when they're here for longer stays. I've just started using Udi's breads which I find make the best gluten free french toast - some of the brands don't absorb any of the egg mixture - guests are enjoying my Gluten Free Orange French Toast weekly now.

And I'm so glad that you enjoyed Cowboy Roundup, I did the stonework on that fireplace myself and it's my favorite room. Have a great summer and again we're so happy that your son trusted us with your special anniversary.

Carol Kerivan
Owners/Innkeepers
Farmindale, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at Bear Mountain Lodge for our mini-honeymoon right after our wedding. It was the perfect place to stay after a crazy weekend of wedding preparation, day of, and teardown. We felt very welcomed by Carol and Michael. They made themselves available for all of our questions, food recommendations, and requests. Our room was beautiful, very clean, and easy to make ourselves at home in. The breakfasts were so yummy! We will definitely be back, it was such a great, relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: Fireplace and hot tub in the room are definitely the way to go!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We traveled to Bear Mountain Lodge back in January, and felt that it deserved a rave review! Everywhere we travel, Bear Mountain Lodge is the standard. Everything from the personal service, breakfast, accommodations and detailed extras- are outstanding and first-class. Mike and his wife greeted us everyday and made our stay most enjoyable. Our breakfast was fantastic, with price-less views of the mountains. We enjoyed playing pool, scrabble and relaxing by the fire at night- especially after a lovely day of skiing. Mike made us dinner reservations and gave use accurate weather and snow reports. He was able to provide us with discounted lift tickets to Bretton Woods so we did not have to wait in line at the mountain. We stayed in the Cowboy Roundup Room. The fire place, and bed was excellent. Again- I have nothing but outstanding things to say about Bear Mountain Lodge. I recommend it to my friends and look forward to visiting again next winter.

Room Tip: Cowboy Round Up is lovely!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

So, my wife and I stayed here over a year ago. Our stay was for a few days. It's taken me so long to write a review because I felt I needed to have the time to really sit down for a while and try to fully express our feelings about our stay, and I just never got around to devoting that much time to the review. In fact, I have other things to get back to now, but I wanted to write something - a short review is better than no review at all, right?

Anyway, long story short, this place and the family that runs it deserve every single positive review they've received and more. Despite the fact that our stay was so short, this family and this lodge made such an impression on us that I actually feel bad that I took so long to write a review. My wife and I have since moved to the other side of the country, but we are still thinking about heading back to NH for another stay in the lodge.

I really can't say enough about Bear Mountain Lodge and its owners. I'd wager everything's already covered in the other reviews anyway. Suffice it to say, the atmosphere, the food, the service, the amenities, everything (really, EVERYTHING) were just stellar. If you have any doubts about coming here, forget them. Actually, keep them, that way my wife and I don't have to worry about the lodge being booked when we want to go back ;) . All joking aside, though, I really have no idea how any of the negative reviews can be even slightly warranted. Disregard them.

I should also mention that my wife and I visited during something of a dreary weekend - rainy and cold cold cold (March of 2012, but I can't seem to choose that date for this review for some reason...) - and we still had just a fantastic time. The folks that run this place are down-to-Earth, engaging, friendly, all-around cordial, and EXCELLENT at what they do: welcoming others into their home and providing a wonderful experience. We'd absolutely come here again without a second thought.

If the Kerivans are reading this, thank you again for such a great stay.

VP

Room Tip: The steam showers are excellent - especially after a long day of hiking up a beautiful (but chilly...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmer, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently spent two lovely night in Moose Hollow. We stayed Saturday and Sunda night. The Lodge is exceptional, and Mik and Carol have made it even better. We played pool, checkers, and scrabble, watched the sun rise over the mountain from both our room and the deck. This was exactly what we were looking for and evrything exceeded our expectations. Carol's chocolate chip cookies were to die for. I would 100% recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Moose Hollow overlooks the mtns. Read each room description carefully, as a few do not have as great...
Keene, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate my birthday. We stayed for two nights and the lodge exceeded all of our expectations. We almost wished that we hadn't made any plans in the local area as we would have been perfectly content at the lodge for the whole weekend. We played billiards, scrabble, chess, and had a chance to enjoy the out door hot tub as well. So here it is again in summary: The Lodge is immaculate, the food refined, the grounds beautiful, and the hospitality unmatched. Thank you for a wonderful stay. We will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: All rooms in this log cabin are furnished with the finest amenities.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Bear Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!