“We love Sky VALLEY!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bartlett
cape ann,ma
“We love Sky VALLEY!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stay here at least once a year with our kids, assorted family and friends, as well as just my husband and myself for about ten years. We love the river, the peace and quiet, and the rustic charm of Sky Valley.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

As a Southern NH resident all my life, it takes a whole lot of NH scenery to impress me, and the property here did the job. It was a true family friendly experience at a family establishment. We could have spent a full day just on the property and not been bored, the property was like a primo superb campsite with motels and cottages on it. There were places to picnic, explore and unwind.

I think that those who really knock the rooms have not had a great deal of NH experiences to compare I have stayed at other places in New England and paid twice as much for rooms in about the same condition because of a view of the river or a swimming pool, I know for sure that we could have stayed at a newer, trendier place for twice the price and still experienced a few of the quirks we had here. The only difference is that this Sky Valley didn't have a bunch of "antiques" and doilies to try to cover it up . Instead it was campy, homey and unpretentious. For the money, it was a GREAT deal and the overall experience was fantastic.

The motel room was ok , a bit dated but it was very clean and pretty spacious. Parking was very close and the quirky little home touch signs in the room were fun too--we especially like the one where it didn't just say no fire crackers, but which ones in particular were most annoying. Like all signage had a kind of fun story like quality to it--you can picture exactly what happened to cause the warning.

The carpet and bedding were newish, mattress was extremely firm and thinner but not old, The room was dated in places and needed some touch ups but the room was pretty darned clean--and I am fussy about that. Most flaws we might have found in the room was compensated for with the beach, a great pool and a cute playground area.

If I left the scoring up to our 2 year old, it would be 5 stars all the way. Our child, The trip VIP had a blast outdoors and in. We were able to refrigerate milk and juice in the room, grab cereal and bananas with the free breakfast. He loved the pool, the playground, the ample supplies of different balls and pool equipment. The ability to run like the wind made him quite happy. It was very refreshing that I could let go of my little ones hand and not fear that he would run into a car. The place wasn't swarmed with 30 other kids pushing and shoving my poor little guy out of the way. Other similar caliber hotels have more impressive playgrounds, all two feet from the street. This one was amidst what some cities would call a park. There was a medium size slide, two swing sets, a teeter totter, tether ball, volley ball, a porch style adult size swing.

Adding to the indoor camping experience. I enjoyed being able to leave the window open and not be exposed to a sea of other tourists. Even at very peak occupancy I can't imagine this place could feel overcrowded. We really felt like we had the place to ourselves.

Here are the two things I can't overlook without saying I gave this place an honest review: The water pressure was terrible--I mean spit level. While the room stayed cool at night, I am not sold on the no need for AC thing, humidity can't be fanned away. If you are an AC junkie this isn't your spot. It also never occurred to me to bring a hair dryer in the room, I thought everyone had one these days ( of course I never asked the desk if they had one to use, which some places do-- so shame on me.)

Overall a fabulous time that a few plumbing pipes and cracks didn't deter. If you stay here make plans to have a little bonfire, wander the property, use the pool and do what vacation is for-having fun. This is a true indoor camping adventure, and is not just a motel but an experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Sky Valley has beautiful property right on the river, it is set back from the road and it very peaceful and quiet and beautiful with lots of open space. We stayed in a motel unit which was dirty and awkward, the bathroom really really really needed some updating and I actually choose to go with out rather then to get in the shower (it was that bad). The free breakfast was great, with more then enough food and enough options to make the whole family happy including my then 5 and 3 year old. The pool looks nice but it is not; it is NOT heated and it is rough concrete so the kids were scraping the feet the whole 5 minutes they could stand to be in it. The staff that we did run into was very nice but we really did not see much of them. I really wanted to give this motel a better review because the property is so nice and quiet and enjoyable and being on the river was a lot of fun, but I just can't because of the room conditions. Please Dave update the rooms and let us know when you do!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Vacationed at sky valley with my husband and children. We stayed in a cottage and we were very disappointed. The cottage looked nothing like the pics online. The family room and kitchen had dirty rug floors, and I mean really dirty. There were no batteries in the fire alarms, the hot water was yellow and the owners were still working on the grounds, so there was a lot of noise. We were told the pool would be open, which it was, but it was not clean and it's not heated. I would not recommend this place. For the price I wish I had stayed at a hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
david4821, manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 8, 2009
Gee....since "it looked nothing like the picture" I wonder if this person even stayed here...a picture is a picture. We did not try to make it look like anything except what it is.

Everyone also gets our guarantee. After a 15 minute inspection, If everything is not exactly what you wanted or expected, you get a full, no questions asked, refund. Everyone gets this option at check in time.

Dave
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, Toronto CANADA

We stayed in a clean, quaint, one-floor little cottage-like structure with a lot of amenities: coffee-maker, microwave wave, fair-sized refrigerator, continental breakfast, towels for pool use, computer with free internet access at registration site, etc. It has a calm, country setting with beautiful, spacious grounds and flowers where you do not hear air conditioners (there are none because the wooded locatiion provides for natural freshness) or passing traffic. Overall, It was a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — calm, clean, and scenic
  • Disliked — It rained almost every day (not Sky Valley's fault)!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

This family run accomodation is located on the Sacco River which was very accessable to walk. We were also close to MT. Washington and North Conway.(factory outlets) Dave and staff were very freindly and the vacation was enjoyed. Free internet, BEAR NOTCH PASS, CRAWFORD NOTCH Pass, MT. Washington , Cog Railway, everything was close.
GREAT WEB SITE Dave. Will book with you again next time down.

GLENN & DEB JEFFREY

• Liked — availability to everything in area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
ADIRONDACKS NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

We arrived at Sky Valley at noon, 2 hours earlier than check-in and were cordially received and permitted to use our room which was clean, neat and tidy. Must admit that the great off-season price was attractive to my husband and I, having stayed 4 or 5 times in North Conway on the "strip" at a much higher cost, This motel was about 15-20 minutes ride to all the N.Conway attractions, but the beauty of it was that we could enjoy sitting outside our motel room and enjoy the peace and serenity of the mountains surrounding the spacious well cared for property as opposed to watching the streams of traffic go by in the town.
Just behind our motel room was the Saco River, where we sat and enjoyed the view and could have made a campfire if we wanted. We had dinner at a nearby restaurant which was excellent and nicely priced (recommended by the management). We plan to come back again with our grandchildren next season, as there is a fantastic pool with a waterspray with a view of the Attitash mountains in the distance, and a large grassy play area for the kiddies. Although the rooms are older in design and furnishings, there was a real hominess, and above all, everything was very clean..Almost forgot---the free breakfast was more than adequate--served in a comfortable large dining area. All in all, no complaints--very satified!

• Liked — Hominess, comfort, views, property
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sky Valley Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!