“Sky Valley Bartlett - Spectacular as always!” 5 of 5 stars

SkyWay, 1088 Rte 302, Bartlett, NH 03812   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bartlett
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kensington, NH
“Sky Valley Bartlett - Spectacular as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Got home yesterday from 6th stay at Sky Valley, again in Cottage 5 and again just what I expected. Sparkling clean, comfortable, and fresh. I can't say enough good about this place, it's my summer home (for a week) and my family enjoys it. Maureen and Dave feel like family now, and are always helpful and friendly. In fact, a glitch with the updated internet and Dave was right on it; unfortunately we do need to get in the inet occasionally, but he was there and went above and beyond to take care of the problem. Ask when you have a problem, and they take care of it ASAP. Always love the breakfast, nothing fancy but who eats fancy at home? Feel free to ask me anything about the place and I'll respond - favorably.

Room Tip: If you are looking for an inexpensive, two-bedroom cottage with full kitchen which is fully supplied...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your Sky Valley experiences. Hard to believe it's been six years. It Sure goes by fast. Both Maureen and I are glad everything was perfect and we always look forward to seeing you and all our other long-time regulars..

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

When we checked in we received so useful information from the woman at the desk, however we also received an almost at times hostile attitude. She was more interested in letting us know what we shouldn't do that what we should. The unit we stayed in had no AC (which we knew about). Since there was no AC the 4 sliding doors were left open and the screen doors were closed. The screens did have some rather large holes and some of them were taped to the frame in a shoddy attempt to repair them. Our unit smelled like a circus had just run through and we went to Dave(owner) on the first day to let him know and he drove back to the unit to check and see if a pilot light was out. He checked the stove and found it was working properly and said the unit normally smells like this.
I have read some other negative reviews and found they were similar to my experience. The owner responds and says these are all "anonymous" and "embellished." This is not anonymous, my name appears at the upper left side of this review and I stayed in Chalet #3 two weeks ago. I also find the negative reviews to be far more accurate than the positive ones.
This place was dirty and the woman at the desk was rude and hostile

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
As I said once before, "We can't please everyone", although we do try.

Just as a correction, I did not say "the unit always smells like this", I said "my sense of smell is not very good" but I could not sense any overwhelming smell, but offered the reasoning that the prior renter might have cooked something and the smell lingered. Our housekeepers do have good noses and usually let us know if something is noticeably objectionable. Obviously some folks sense of smell is much more acute than others.

The screens at Chalet 3 are on the "to do list", however we operate with a tiny staff and there are rare occasions when we simply don't have time to take care of some things immediately...hence, in this case, duct tape works temporarily. Often when units are rented people don't want the inconvenience of maintenance work being done while they are there; So we sometimes give things a "quick-fix" until it can be taken care of correctly. If folks point out something that demands an immediate fix we always tend to it immediately if at all possible.

Many negative reviews ARE anonymous and motives unclear. Sometimes we can't identify the unit folks are describing. Sometimes we can't relate to the "issues" they encountered, but, we do use all reviews, comments and suggestions to better ourselves. I think our 90% approval rating attests to the fact that we are always working to make things better. We hope that by our taking the time to respond to reviews you get a clear sense that We Do Care, even though an "after-the-fact" explanation doesn't make up for your dissatisfaction.
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Just love it there at Sky Valley, can't wait to get back and vist with Dave and Maureen again. We were back for our fifth vist in June, since 08. Got to try out the new ac which worked great. All ready making plans for another trip there soon. We like the quiet there, you can hardly hear the cars going by. Made use of the wifi there and checked out Sky Valleys webb page which has a lot more info on the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thanks for your comments. We always like to hear what folks think of us. We always take advantage of both positive and negative comments. That's how we added Air Conditioning and upgraded our wireless internet system. People commented and we listen! In fact, your unit 21 with the king size bed just got a new bed! (no one even complained about that). We also updated a number of TV sets in the motel units to the flat panel variety and we upgraded some motel bathrooms from shower only to tub and shower. We never have any problem putting all the money you guys give us back into the units and grounds! Of course, we have to save out enough to pay the Town taxes.
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have stayed here quite a few times with my sister and her family... LOVE cabin 6- it can house myself as well as my sisters 6 person family with no problem! The new upgrades they have done are awesome and I have to say I recommend it to everyone! The wi-fi is handy to have when you want to check in to your regular life, as well as the cable TV. But really, who comes to a cabin to be on the internet? The location is easy to get to, but nice and quiet... the cabins are clean and comfortable and the pool is awesome. The grounds are huge and there is always some thing to do, with the river in the back as well as easily located touristy spots surrounding. I will come again and again!

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is great for families! =)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
david4821, Manager at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your Sky Valley visit. We are glad everything was perfect for you and we look forward to seeing you again.
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I usually check Tripadvisor reviews after a stay at Sky Valley to see what others are saying, and I'm always delighted to see that people's reviews are primarily positive. I've stayed often at Sky Valley, usually a couple times each year, so I know all its quirks and delights.

On the last weekend in July, I stayed for three nights in one of the motel units - one of the few that have not seen much renovation in many years. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, the tiny bathroom has a new shower surround with plenty of places to put soap, shampoo, etc, and to my delight there was an air conditioner in the window. Up until the past few years, I can hardly remember a time staying at Sky Valley when air conditioning was needed at night. I loved seeing the little playground area filled with kids, and watching families have their barbeque dinners at the picnic tables.

I was there last year during the time the cottages were being given face-lifts, and I got to look inside each one, so I was surprised to see the comments from HoldenVermont about Cottage 6. Their description doesn't match what I saw. Sure, it's old, but if it was musty smelly and dirty, you should have commented when you moved in so it could have been cleaned to your satisfaction, and had other issues noted so they could have been taken care of.

I usually stay in one of the apartments, so I know that things at Sky Valley are 'rustic' as I think the website notes. Yes, everything is 'old', having been built in the 40s and 50s - but you don't go there to find plush accommodations and mints on the pillows. People stay there because of the family atmosphere, the affordable accommodations, the grounds, the pool, the river, the mountains.

Room Tip: Each unit has unique qualities and amenities - Some more updated than others. Cottages and apartment...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you...we always love having you here. Bring Sue next time !
Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had high hopes for our stay here but were disappointed. In theory, it should have been awesome - 2 bedroom cabin nestled far from the street, free breakfast, nice play area, Saco River right behind us, cool pool! Sure, we had all those things, but we had to sleep in a really musty, smelly, old and dirty cabin. Sure, the weather was muggy, but this really brought out the stink in the place. You could see there was a lot of water damage throughout the cabin, the ceilings sloped a lot. We had bugs, some screens were held by duct tape. The window in the living room had a big crack that one of my kids could have put their hands through if the put any pressure on it. The outlets were really old, and some were the kind where your plug just fell out of the outlet. There were no covers on any outlet, which I guess you can't expect, but really family friendly places have that. The walls in the shower were not sealed so there is more water damage guests are created, very simple to caulk, but like most things in the cabin - the little preventative things that could be done are not done. Most seriously we found - our smoke detector didn't even have a battery.

Now, here's the thing - we were staying in Cabin 6 and our friends were in cabin 5 (I'll let them write their own review) and had we seen the card that says you can leave within 15 minutes of check in and get your money back I think we would have left. But, we didn't see the card, and we stayed. At the end of our visit my husband talked to the lady at the desk and she took no responsibility, basically didn't hear anything my husband brought up. She claimed that past guests probably took the battery out of the smoke alarm! Cabin 5's alarm was in the cabinet and didn't work. She challenged my husband that he could go into any cabin and find a working detector, but wouldn't bring him to an open one to check - he felt that certain it would not work. Why doesn't staff check things like smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers between each guest?! If they believe their guests are sneaky theives who steal and "hide" smoke detectors, why are they not keen to ensure they are out and in order before each arrival. Here you've got old, and taxed outlets.....and no smoke alarm. It's a hazard. I'm sure, POSITIVE in fact, that the fire marshal would be interested to know about this and to pay a visit.

I guess we could deal with dirty, musty and out-dated - we only stayed a couple nights. We can not deal with safety hazards and nobody should. We do not want to deal with unreceptive staff, that's not what we paid a chunk of money to deal with. Seriously, not even an "I'm sorry you feel that way" or anything like that, she pushed it all back on my husband. She was not open at all.

We will definately not be staying at Sky Valley again, we'll find a better place with a receptive staff - and we will check more than the venue's website next time. ****Please do not think that responding to my comments makes you a receptive staff member, or someone really on top of your units, because you're just sitting there typing and not out there updating, fixing and making your units more SAFE.***

Obviously, we do not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
dave16, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
There is probably nothing we can say to appease this visitor, but we don't necessarily agree with their assessment...nor do alot of other folks. We will point out that there is another review for this same cottage made just a few days prior that gave it a four star rating. It seems one or the other has it all wrong. You will also find many reviews that compliment our staff. It just goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time. We apologize for that.

The main problem here is waiting until check out time to complain. By then it is too late to rectify anything and we got the distinct impression the primary motivation was to get some money back after staying for both days without a single complaint while something could have been done.....

Our money back guarantee is completely explained at check-in and is spelled out on many different pages at our website. If the level of unhappiness is severe we have been known to extend this money back guarantee for quite a bit longer than 15 minutes...but not after the guest has chosen to stay for his entire reserved time.

A simple stop at the office, which is open everyday from 8 a.m. till 11 p.m., would have solved the smoke alarm battery missing...which seems to be the primary issue...and since the office is right next to the pool, where you probably went at least once a day, we don't quite understand why a simple request to check the smoke alarm was not made. It would have been tended to immediately.

Enough said...we have to get out there and check out the other "issues".
Cumberland, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Grounds here are very will kept and the pool was beautiful!!! Lots of places to explore along the Saco River which we had a bonfire on almost every night. We were visited by a bear who had no interest in us but was curious of our grill and picnic table. The owners here were extremely friendly and assisted in our needs as soon as we expressed them. The cafe was very clean and satisfied our needs for breakfast. My kids (9 & 13) enjoyed going every morning. We stayed in cabin 6 which was the very back cabin. Very private, roomy and CLEAN! The master bedroom was very large and had it's own TV. The second bedroom was small but was fine for my 2 kids. The living area was comfy with another TV. The kitchen was very well stocked and we really didn't need to bring any cooking or eating utensils if we didn't want too. Cute screened in porch that was nice on warm summer night. The bar-b-que grill was like new. We did have to rent the tank for $10 but we didn't mind since we used it a lot. The cabin was adorable and private. Couple of minor things I should mention though, the showers had no pressure at all and the materesses were like sleeping on boards. My husband didn't mind but myself, having bad hips, found it to be very uncomforable. Also one of the screens in the second bedroom was held on with duct tape, not pretty but was not a bid deal since it did keep the bugs out. If the changed the materesses, we would most definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
david4821, Owner at Sky Valley Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations and Karen, who is in charge of cleaning the Cottage type units, was gratified to hear that you found everything very CLEAN in "her" unit. Maureen works hard to keep the Cafe neat and tidy, along with a hundred other things she does every day. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities.

As the reviewer stated, "The owners assisted in our needs as soon as we expressed them." That might be our second priority. We never ignore a valid complaint. Along that line, had you expressed the issue with the shower we would have taken care of it immediately. (It needed a new shower head, which took about two minutes to replace).

The beds in Cottage #6 are relatively new and probably are rated "firm"...we have had no other comments or complaints about that...and many folks seem to prefer "firm". You can be sure that we are going to revisit this issue at Cottage 6....but we have tested it out briefly and didn't find it objectionable...but, that's just us...everyone has different needs in mattresses. But we do apologize anyway.

Screens are a constant issue and we keep them repaired as time permits. We operate with a small staff and occasionally things get put-off for a short time, or get a temporary fix until there is time to do it right...i.e. duct tape is great stuff.

As to the bears, since we take great efforts to never leave food or garbage out in the open we have been fortunate that the one or two bears that are around just wander through sometimes and since they never find anything they don't come back very often. There are plenty of other places with easier pickings and I assume that is where they go most of the time.

We are very pleased that you took the time to share your experience at Sky Valley and your comments give us encouragement that we are still on the right track. We do hope that you will return. Perhaps a mattress in a different unit will suit you better,..

Dave

Been to Sky Valley Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!