We had high hopes for our stay here but were disappointed. In theory, it should have been awesome - 2 bedroom cabin nestled far from the street, free breakfast, nice play area, Saco River right behind us, cool pool! Sure, we had all those things, but we had to sleep in a really musty, smelly, old and dirty cabin. Sure, the weather was muggy, but this really brought out the stink in the place. You could see there was a lot of water damage throughout the cabin, the ceilings sloped a lot. We had bugs, some screens were held by duct tape. The window in the living room had a big crack that one of my kids could have put their hands through if the put any pressure on it. The outlets were really old, and some were the kind where your plug just fell out of the outlet. There were no covers on any outlet, which I guess you can't expect, but really family friendly places have that. The walls in the shower were not sealed so there is more water damage guests are created, very simple to caulk, but like most things in the cabin - the little preventative things that could be done are not done. Most seriously we found - our smoke detector didn't even have a battery.
Now, here's the thing - we were staying in Cabin 6 and our friends were in cabin 5 (I'll let them write their own review) and had we seen the card that says you can leave within 15 minutes of check in and get your money back I think we would have left. But, we didn't see the card, and we stayed. At the end of our visit my husband talked to the lady at the desk and she took no responsibility, basically didn't hear anything my husband brought up. She claimed that past guests probably took the battery out of the smoke alarm! Cabin 5's alarm was in the cabinet and didn't work. She challenged my husband that he could go into any cabin and find a working detector, but wouldn't bring him to an open one to check - he felt that certain it would not work. Why doesn't staff check things like smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers between each guest?! If they believe their guests are sneaky theives who steal and "hide" smoke detectors, why are they not keen to ensure they are out and in order before each arrival. Here you've got old, and taxed outlets.....and no smoke alarm. It's a hazard. I'm sure, POSITIVE in fact, that the fire marshal would be interested to know about this and to pay a visit.
I guess we could deal with dirty, musty and out-dated - we only stayed a couple nights. We can not deal with safety hazards and nobody should. We do not want to deal with unreceptive staff, that's not what we paid a chunk of money to deal with. Seriously, not even an "I'm sorry you feel that way" or anything like that, she pushed it all back on my husband. She was not open at all.
We will definately not be staying at Sky Valley again, we'll find a better place with a receptive staff - and we will check more than the venue's website next time. ****Please do not think that responding to my comments makes you a receptive staff member, or someone really on top of your units, because you're just sitting there typing and not out there updating, fixing and making your units more SAFE.***
Obviously, we do not recommend this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 19 units spaciously situated on 35 acres fields, forest and Saco river frontage. Traditional motel type units, 2 and 3 bedroom cottages and chalets. Perfect family resort with a low-key atmosphere. 5 acre children's playground, huge pool, a/c in all units, all units way off the main highway. Free continental breakfast during in-season, ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Sky Valley Motel & Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sky Valley Motel & Cottages Hotel Bartlett
- Sky Valley Motel And Cottages
- Sky Valley Hotel
- Sky Valley Bartlett
- Sky Valley Motel & Cottages White Mountains, NH - Bartlett