“Never again, hope we didn't catch bed bugs” 1 of 5 stars

You added Nordic Village Resort to your Saves list
Nordic Village Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Rte. 16, Bartlett, NH 03846   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bartlett
“Never again, hope we didn't catch bed bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Talk about a ruined vacation , these people think because most of new hampshire was booked on school vacation it gives them a pass to charge sky rocketing price for something I wouldn't pay to stay in otherwise. Let's see , where to begin , dirt and more dirt . The stench from the carpets was so overwhelming we kept all the wwindows open. Our bed was horrible , I thought there may be bed bugs around in such a mess. Even the sheets had some yellow on them, shower barely worked, trickled drop by drop, the kitchen was so old and filled with unwashed dishes. We got stuck in the driveway because there was ice unattended and we couldn't get up hill the next day. Worst vacation ever

• Stayed February 2011
, General Manager at Nordic Village Resort, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
I believe this is the same reviewer, so my response is the same as the review listed below. Nordic Village has never had an issue with bed bugs and we do have a program in place if bed bugs were ever to become an issue. Again, I believe this reviewer rented a privately owned condominium/

I am very sorry to read about your experience in the condominium unit you rented recently. As you may or may not know, Nordic Village Resort condominiums are privately owned and owners can either choose to rent their units through us, on their own or with another rental agency. The other rental agencies and private owners also have their own websites and when guests book through them, often times they think they are booking their reservation with us.

The condition of the unit you describe could not have been rented through us as we have a housekeeping staff of at least three who clean each unit, a crew leader who checks their work and an inspector who inspects each unit for cleanliness and any maintenance issues. Another inspector checks the units again just prior to arrival to make sure the unit is satisfactory. We are not perfect by any means but we certainly strive to be and the deplorable condition you describe would not be one of our units as there is absolutely no way all of the problems you describe would have been missed by five people.

Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but I hope that anyone reading your review realizes that this is not representative of our units at Nordic Village and that we take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and our front desk staff to resolve any issue that may arise during our guests’ stay. I would appreciate it if you would email me and let me know which unit you stayed in so that I can contact either the owner who rented it to you or the rental agency to make sure that something like this does not happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Do not be fooled, the place was so old stinky and dirty i nearly puked. Dirty as hell someones dirty laundry found under bed was giving off odor, hair was everywhere, even a dirty sanitary napkin in the bathroom cabinet wasn't removed. The carpets were so smelly and dirty even our teenager refused to walk on it without slippers. The queen size bed looked and felt like from one of those hotels you rent for one hour, the pillows looked and felt as if they were stuffed with straw in a hurry. The kitchen was completely dirty covered in grease and all the dishes had to be rewashed in the dishwasher twice. The place really looked as if it wasnt properly cleaned in months with dust balls in the corners and hair all over the furniture. Which leads me to furniture: broken chairs and sofa, the chair quite literally fell apart -the back of it was all in pieces. Horrible TV and dvd likely way over 20 years old , and internet wire which is about 3 inches long sticking out of the cable modem which you have to sit next to if you can squeeze yourself between the TV set and the wall Those pictures on the website with fotos of the units arent even close to reality. The place was booked so we couldnt get a different room, we decided to tough it out for 4 nights. Absolutely the worst place i ever stayed in for $289 a night, a complete rip off and i ll make sure the public knows about it. And , oh yeah, did i mention no maid service for the entire stay, but three envelopes for tips readily available in plain view. What a nightmare!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
, General Manager at Nordic Village Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2011

Goffstown, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

This resort displayed their generosity by bumping my girlfriend and me up to an even nicer suite, free of any additional charge. The resort is massive, as I remember it from childhood visits. The chateaus are located at the very back/top of the resort and are breathtaking upon arrival. I had booked the deluxe master suite at 320.00 a night for two nights, I was told at my check in that we were bumped up to the grand master suite. I'm assuming that maybe it wasn’t being rented anyways so they figured if it costs the same to them why not move us up? Regardless, this was a much appreciated act of generosity. For a 22 year old to take his girlfriend on a valentine’s weekend in a suite like this, let’s just say I scored some big points this weekend :) The kitchen was INCREDIBLE, it is the pride and joy of the entire resort and I can see why. 20 foot cathedral ceilings with multiple sinks/prep sinks. My girlfriend loves to cook so she fell in love with this kitchen, we actually decided against going out to eat to stay in and cook after seeing the kitchen. The Jacuzzi was great, especially after lighting candles around it, spreading a walkway of rose pedals through the room, turning on the red heat light, and playing music through speakers in every room of the suite. This was the most romantic weekend of her or my life, and Nordic Village helped me pull that off. I can honestly say the generosity of this resort helped take my relationship to the next level. Because we went two minutes down the road to Nestle nook farm where I had booked a PRIVATE Austrian style horse drawn sleigh ride through the snow, and proposed. I went to Nordic village with a girlfriend, left with a fiancé on Valentine’s Day :) I will say that the chateaus can be quite pricey, however, since we had been moved up to the grand master suite without having to pay the extra 260.00 a night, it was well worth every penny. I would like to thank the resort for moving us up, and would recommend Nordic village to anybody looking for a quiet romantic weekend. The one downside to being out in the winter is that they have many swimming pools that are exclusive to either adults or guests at the chateaus, however these are all seasonal. My girlfriend has pictures on her camera; I will try to upload them once she gets home. I hear that the staff here is great, but if you're looking for peace and quite, they're great at leaving you alone too. Again, if any of the staffs at Nordic Village are reading this, thank you thank you thank you for the act of generosity and moving us up to the grand master suite... best weekend EVER.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed in a one bedroom condo. The prior reviews turned out to be quite accurate. The unit had a lot of things going for it. It was rather large, had a well stocked kitchen, and a nice jacuzzi tub. We did not notice any noise from the neighbors. The resort amenities are nice. They had a bonfire, skating pond, and both indoor and outdoor pools. The outdoor pool was heated in the winter.

On the negative side, the unit was definitely stuck in the 1990s. It was cleaned as much as possible, but you can only do so much with a worn out condo. The condo was constructed of extremely cheap materials, and it is starting to show. The access road is extremely steep. I had an all wheel drive vehicle, and would not stay here in the winter without one.

I can't complain for the price we paid. I would have been disappointed, however, had we paid more. This resort has potential, but you definitely get the feeling that it was never a real financial success. There is a sense that the resort is starting to slide. I just don't think that they can let it slide much farther.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Bar Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

My husband and I have enjoyed Nordic Village on our own for our anniversary, and with our grandchildren learning to ski, and this time with family and friends. Some of us just enjoy staying in gazing out on the great beauty of the area, while the others hike, swim (indoors and out), go tubing, ski, shopping at outlets with no sale tax, sleigh rides, dog sledding and ice skating. Although there are lots of great places to eat, we enjoy taking turns cooking and sharing meals. We eat all the time! We play board games, cards and watch movies. One friend taught us how to make jewelry. We had 3 floors that were private but accessible so we could visit all we wanted. We appreciated Rhonda and Joann when making our reservations. They didn't mind at all when we kept calling back with more questions! Nancy was very efficient and friendly when we checked in. Our housekeeper, Coco, was happy to help us with whatever we needed. Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

Last summer I booked this reasonably priced wonderful two-bedroom, two-bath condo with kitchen, jacuzzi and gas fireplace nestled into a snowy Jackson, NH hillside. We skied family-friendly Black Mountain (about $300 for lift and rentals for family of 5), then ordered pizzas and enjoyed a cozy night in this clean, spacious, beautiful condo. At night our teens swam in outdoor heated pool, then played ping-pong in the rec room. The next morning we had breakfast with friends staying in another Nordic condo, then headed home. Super getaway gift.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights after deciding against a B&B, but still wanting accommodations that included a jacuzzi and fireplace. What previous reviewers said before were accurate: it really does have the look and feel of a 90s condo that hasn't been updated since then.

I had a one bedroom unit in the Zurich building located at the Nordic Highlands. The condo was clean with a nicely stocked kitchen (including coffee filters), a very roomy living room and a comfy enough bedroom with a king sized bed. The jacuzzi is really a glorified bathtub though with only two jets, and was clearly not designed for comfort. The gas fireplace is controlled with a thermostat that shuts off once the set temperature is reached, but if you use the A/C you can prevent the fireplace from shutting off prematurely.

The blinds for the patio doors were badly mangled in some places, which is not a major concern since I was facing towards the mountains, but could have been had my patio been facing towards the parking lot where people could easily see in.

The bathroom sink is absurdly small. No space for toiletries and no medicine cabinet either.

I had a nice LCD TV and wired as well as wireless internet, although the Wi-FI for my unit was pretty spotty. In some parts of the unit it was steady enough, but the connection often dropped if I moved to the dining section or kitchen, and was sporadic at times in the bedroom as well.

The furniture could really use some improvement too. There was no office desk for me to use my laptop on, so I either used the dining room table or sat in the easy chair, neither of which were comfortable. The easy chair itself had no foot rest, forcing me to use the coffee table if I wanted to give my legs a rest.

The condo was quiet enough, never heard a sound even though all of the other units in the building were in use too.

All in all I can't wholeheartedly recommend this resort unless you're getting a really good deal compared to other alternatives. There were times when I felt I was staying at a condo's equivalent of an average roadside motel, although one with more amenities obviously. I booked online using their internet special where I got the 4th night free, so I paid a little over $100 a night. They also gave me $40 off my next stay there if I so choose, so they do make an effort to offer price breaks. Be sure to call and ask about possible discounts before making any bookings.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Nordic Village Resort? Share your experiences!