“Spectacular View!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bartlett
boston
“Spectacular View!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed at the Penthouse in May 2013. We checked in very late and the staff at the concierge was very friendly and helpful. The penthouse has a spectacular view. I just wanted to sit in t he balcony all day. The bathroom was a state of the art. The only thing that bothered me was the alarm was beeping all night and nobody came to check it. Otherwise I loved the Penthouse. I woke up with a spectacular view.

Room Tip: If you can afford the Penthouse I highly recommend it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Nordic Village over 10 times, generally once every summer for our yearly trip to the White Mountains. We love the location of the property and the views.

We have found that how good your stay is completely depends on what room you are assigned and there is just no standard for what a room should be. Every room should have to meet the same standards for cleanliness and upkeep, no matter how it is decorated or who owns it (we always rent directly through Nordic Village and not through any outside sources so they should be responsible).

This month, we booked a stay on the property through a special sent to my email directly from Nordic Village. We booked for July 18 - 21, a Thursday through Sunday. We did not know our room type or location until check in. We were assigned a basement suite room in Hallsburg which is near the top of the mountain and has nice views. We had previously stayed in Hallsburg in a suite unit (different number) and liked it so we were excited. The unit was unit H121B. I have since looked at the photos of this unit on Nordic Village website and while the photos were taken in this unit, it looks nothing like the unit looks now and that is not the same furniture in there (that is not even close to the same bed that is now in the unit). This unit was in horrible, disgusting condition. The paint was peeling on all the walls. The tile near the fireplace was broken. The radiator on the wall was completely dented and crushed. The mattress was terrible, the box spring was not covered with any linen at all and had huge black stains showing, the mattress itself was very old and worn. The carpet was terrible. The chairs in the unit needed to replaced years ago. The TVs were from the 1980s. I can live with an old TV but not with the way the rest of the unit was. We started to find bugs crawling through the unit upon entering. All over the carpet and they were running into the wall molding. When my husband found one in my hair, I said we are leaving this unit.

We returned to the front desk and I told the front desk that the room was disgusting and had bugs. She did not seem to believe me but did offer to give us another room which we were very happy about. We were given a penthouse room in Zurich in the Nordic Highlands. The room was Z129B. This room was very very nice. It had new paint on the walls, nice carpet, nice furnture, a bed with a very nice pillow top mattress and linen covering the box spring, and a large flatscreen TV. The whole unit was very clean. Being put in this unit saved our stay and we enjoyed our 3 days in the area.

Even though we ended up in a nice room, we have decided not to return in the future even after so many visits because there is no standard for how the rooms are kept up and we cannot take the chance again of being put in such a terrible room.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManageratNordic, Manager at Nordic Village Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your most recent. We take all comments, negative or positive, to heart. I do apologize that your initial room did not meet your expectations. We do still have some rooms on property that are not up to standard. We have been in the process of upgrading all of our units and also upgrading around the property. This is a time consuming endeavor and seems to be ongoing. I am happy that we were able to find another room and you were able to enjoy your stay. We do hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again in the future. Again, thank you for your comments.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great spot for exploring the area. Great views of the surrounding mountains, clean units, and quiet. Perfect for my wife and 4 yr old son. Pools were warm, nightly smores was a nice treat and the place was close by to many landmarks. A little dated, and the fact that you had to walk quite a ways between the pools, play area, spa, etc. But, make sure you check which room you are getting. We were surprised as the website had very poor pictures of the rooms. Moderately budget friendly and would stay again.

Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Whenever we visit the White Mountains we cannot but stay at Nordic Village! The condos have EVERYTHING we ever need in their fully equipped kitchens, a washer and dryer and it's fun to find a new game in the closet someone has left for others to enjoy!
The views are stunning and I have always loved sitting on my private balcony over looking the twinkling lights on the neighboring mountains as evening gloams....
This trip however, saw us one night a bit leery of sitting on our balcony!
The oppressive heat we had escaped by driving up Mt Washington for the day brought thunderstorms to the area.
And What A Show It Was!! Magnificent! We stayed in our balcony doorway, spattered with rain, and oohed and ahhed nature's fireworks. Stunning!
Our vantage point on Nordic Village's hill was perfect!

This was an adults only trip for us which is rare but I must say that Nordic Village can be quite romantic as such! Yet it is very family friendly...... Suitable all around!
Conveniently located on the Pinkham Notch side of things, close to North Conway (and Delany's!!)
And we found a shortcut to the Kancamagus Highway by taking rt 302 west to Bear Notch Road on the left..... Very pretty drive!
As I have said before in earlier reviews, the higher up the hill your accommodation at Nordic Village, the more opulent the accommodation with the beautiful Chateaux at the top... We had most of our stay planned outside the Village so we didn't opt for the Chateaux this time...... But, if you want to impress your beloved, put her at the TOP!

Room Tip: Browse the different condos. Do you want a spiral staircase to the lofty master suite? Do you have...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

A few years ago, my family and I came back to Nordic Village for a multiday stay so we could take the kids to StoryLand and visit other attractions in the amount Washington Valley. I have stayed at Nordic Village about 15 times since 1986, but on our visit several years ago, I was extremely disappointed. The unit was worn, the linens were literally shredded, and the entire experience was awful. I wrote a scathing letter and received a very genuine, heartfelt response from the management who offered us a free nights stay on a return trip. I have been reluctant to return but my wife and I tried again and this time, we were not disappointed. Our unit in Copenhagen was spotless, and had been updated recently. We had A/C which is absolutely mandatory for any summer visit. The plantings around the property were outstanding, and generally everything was fairly well maintained, but unfortunately, things are still a bit worn. My daughter and I went to the pool area and the building was grimy (dirty, worn door ways, mishmash of furnishings, poor lighting) but the pool itself was clean. I walked up the hill to the exercise facility, and found it well equipped but also a bit worn out and tired. Algae growing on an AC unit, cracked tile floors (why ceramic tile in room with free weights!!??) worn out, cheap looking "oriental" rugs under the machines, etc. I am clearly nitpicking with my complaints, but I want value for what I am paying. All things considered, we enjoyed our time at Nordic Village and plan on returning in the future. I hope the management can continue to work on all these issues to continue to improve the customers experience.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for an updated unit with AC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my 3rd time staying at Nordic Village over the last few years but it will be my last. We stayed from 7/10/13 to 7/12/13. We found 2 cockroaches in the bathroom. When we checked out my husband told them at the desk and the woman said sarcastically "cockroaches in New Hampshire". She didn't seem too concerned. When we got home, I insisted that all of our bags be emptied in the garage before being brought into the house and it was a good thing because another one popped out of one of the bags. It's too bad because we had enjoyed the bonfires and activities in the evenings for the kids and the proximity to Storyland. Next year we will definitely be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ManageratNordic, Manager at Nordic Village Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had experienced some pests while visiting this July. We did have our monthly maintenance from our pest control company stop by and he did not find any cockroaches in the unit that you were staying in. The technician did mention that many pests are more prevalent this year because of the amount of rain we have had and because our property is located in the White Mountain National Forest. Again, I do apologize and I am sorry that the woman at the front desk responded sarcastically. I am sure her intent was not to be sarcastic, possibly surprised because cockroaches are rare in this area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is my first review on Tripadvisor. I felt it important to warn others after my experience at Nordic Village. I rented back in March for a July weekend. The cost out of pocket was over $200, so please keep that in mind as I explain my issue. We stayed here because it is close to Storyland and the North Conway Scenic Railroad for a Day Out With Thomas. The complex as a whole is impressive as you drive in and up the windy road. The lawns and shrubbery are manicured beautifully. The grounds are spotless. Our expectations were high. We found our building and walked all the way around to the back of the building, went in and down some stairs. The musty smell was the first clue, then the wall at the bottom of the stairs was all water damaged and the carpet chewed up and pulled up around the corner. Opened the door to the unit, and the amound of space was great. The place was clean, except for the hair in the bathroom sink, tub and floor, not a lot but it should have been removed prior to the next guest. I went to make the bed in the sleeper couch and found what looked like a bed bug in one of the quiltling stitches, but when I looked more closely at it, it was not a bug, but appeared to be a piece of mouse poop. Gross enough, but it seemed isolated, so I went to put on the mattress cover and it was for twin bed not a full as needed, and they only provided a flat sheet. I called the front desk and they were very helpful and would send someone over with replacements and the missing coffee mugs. They were very nice and fast, I give them that. I went to take a shower and when I looked up, the ceiling was digustingly stained with huge water damage. I mean nasty! I couldn't get out of the shower fast enough. The bed and furniture had its heyday about twenty years ago, again more water stains on the ceiling. So not comfortable. The cherry on the sundae was the few missing slats in the blinds that are the only privacy for the unit as it was a patio unit with a sliding glass door as the window. Upon check-out, the lady asked how the room was, and I nicely made mention of not being happy with the condition of the room. This woman had the gall to say, "Well, when you book with the discount services, you take your chances and we should have called to be upgraded." What? Did she really say that? I booked with Expedia just looking for hotels in the area and Nordic Village came up. As I said, I don't think spending over $200 is a discount. Most of the issues were not discovered until my two small children (5 months and 3) had been put to bed. I wasn't going to wake them up and move all over again. So what they are really saying is that, they know that they have rooms that are gross and rent out at a small discount, but it is OK. When you book a room, be sure not to book it online, but please call the officeand ask for a room without water damage, hair in the bathroom, no proper bedding for the pull-out with rodent waste, missing coffee mugs, and broken blinds, you'll be all set!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nordic Village Resort? Share your experiences!