“Generational” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bartlett
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Generational”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This past winter my boyfriend and I spent the weekend at Nordic Village. I used to visit here as a child and absolutely loved it, on a whim I decided to book a couple days and I am so glad I did. Our room was clean and cozy featuring a living room area, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub, washer/dryer, large bed, & fireplace. It was brutally chilly those couple days but walking from our room down to the little lit up pond area was like your own winter wonderland - such a great little touch.

About half way up the mountain is a fitness center with an outdoor heated hot tub overlooking the mountains. What a view! Both times we went to go in it was vacant, making it extremely relaxing.

Nordic is close to a lot of great restaurants & places to do some winter activities.

Truly a generational place, for I will be bringing my children here as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Berkley ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were truly excited to stay at the Nordic Village but the expectations fell short. The property and views are amazing but I have to say I'm truly disappointed with the resort. This morning we realized we had been bitten either by fleas or bed bugs. We quickly packed our stuff and headed to the management office to return our keys. Management didn't ask how our stay was. When I mentioned the bug bites it was brushed off and a comment was made that it could have been from when we were outside (in which we hadn't been). The lack of care by the check out staff was disappointing and the lack of effort to address the issue was even more disappointing. We have to treat everything we brought with us because we just don't know if it was bed bugs or fleas. We will definitely not stay or recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ManageratNordic, Manager at Nordic Village Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your time and I appreciate your comments. I am very sorry that your expectations fell short and that you felt our staff was uncaring. We have an excellent staff and they have been here for many years. This is the first time that they have received a review as being uncaring. We have a maintenance contract with a Pest Control company who treats the property inside and out on a monthly basis for preventative maintenance. In fact, just the day after you were here it was their scheduled day and we asked the technician to take a look at your room. There is no problem with any type of pests in any of the units and it is unfortunate that you had to treat everything you brought, that was unnecessary. We do have very tiny bugs here in the North Country, most people call them "no-see-ums" and their real name is Ceratopogonidae. Tiny biting insects and according to Penn State Entomologist, Greg Hoover, "these bugs are everywhere this summer. It could be because of an abundance of moisture this spring." Again, I do apologize that your stay was less than perfect.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just returned from a 4th of July vacation to the White Mountains and Storyland with our two boys aged 4 and 7. We stayed in the Chateaus (133C - Grand Master Suite - the one with the amazing kitchen) and had a great time. The chateaus are at the very top of the resort, near the Tranquility Pool which is open only to guests of the chateaus. The kids wanted to swim everyday which was easy and relaxing as only 8 total families can potentially use the pool. We only met one other family at the pool during our stay and had the pool to ourselves every other time. The Tranquility pool is a saline pool so it did not have the strong chlorine smell that makes your lungs hurt after a few hours (although I may have smelled some chlorine in small amounts). There is also a chair to lower someone with limited mobility into the pool which must have been added after the resort photos were taken because it's not in the website pictures, but is a nice feature. One drawback is that pool towels are not provided, so you have to bring towels from your room, or use your own beach towels.

What I have figured out about the chateaus is that building 134 is pet-friendly and 133 is not, which was great to know for my family with allergies to dogs/cats.Our suite was very spacious with almost too much room devoted to "living area" (we thought a better layout would have allowed for two bedrooms), but great if you're stuck indoors on a rainy day. There is also a patio through the sliding glass doors with a gas grill, outdoor patio table and chairs, and an amazing view of the mountains.

The kitchen is huge, with lots of windows and a skylight. One minor complaint is that with a kitchen so grand you kind of expect to have great tools to cook with (like a nice gas range, knives for prepping veggies and meat, more than one cutting board, nice pots and pans) but the range was electric, I could only find a bread knife apart from lots of steak knives, and the pans were all nonstick while the spatulas, spoons, etc. were all metal. I realize I am one of the few oddballs who likes to cook on vacation, but was surprised that the supplies were about the same quality as I'd find in any other condo/rental. Like I said, minor complaint!

A few other nice touches we found were all the rooms were wired for music so you could choose to turn on/off music room by room. The rooms all had small stained-glass windows above the doors which helped keep the rooms light. And we made use of the washer/dryer.

The bathroom is very glamorous and dramatic with jacuzzi bathtub, which actually made it easy to wash the kids after each swim using the handheld shower. Little ones need help getting in and out because it is so deep and high up, but they loved the bubbles. It also has a double sink and a separate stand up shower.

Some drawbacks were that the wifi was spotty at times and was down for our entire last 1.5 days. We reported the issue to their outsourced service provider but there was no result while we were there. The patio set only had 3 chairs so we had to bring out an indoor chair to eat outside, just a minor inconvenience but seems like each suite that sleeps 4 should have 4 outside chairs too.The Chateau location is actually a mile from the resort entrance, which is where the nightly bonfires happen and where the other recreational facilities are, so we had to drive down the one night we went (a 2 mile hike roundtrip up and down a steep hill to roast marshmallows after a long day at Storyland was not an option for this family). But this is also a plus since it is really quiet and peaceful at the top.

The service was great at check in and check out, and they brought us fresh towels every day.
Storyland is only a mile away, so we took advantage of that by going home for a swim midday and returning to the park refreshed (the temps were in the low 90s). We will definitely return to stay again at the Chateaus in Nordic Village.

Room Tip: Stay in the Chateaus!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We just returned from two great nights at the Nordic Village Resort. Our room was a spacious one bedroom suite with two king beds, a sleeper sofa, kitchen, and two baths. The room was very clean and had most kitchen amenities which was very convenient with two small children. The pools were very clean and the outdoor heated pool was amazing at night. My kids loved it! The Nordic Village is right down the street from Storyland and a 45 minute ride from Santa's Village. This is definitely a place for families with children with activities geared to the little ones. (Though I have to say...the adults only pool looked beautiful!) I'm giving this four stars due to no restaurant on the property to relax at. Though the Red Fox down the street was fabulous. But the price is right for the space and location! We will be back next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room and one with AC. Our room did have it but we have hears others do not ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Nordic Village is one of my favorite resorts. I have been there many times without disappointment. The rooms are very big and always clean. There is so much to do including three pools, row boating, and nightly entertainment. They also have a nice pavillion area with pool and games. I highly recommend the Nordic Village to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My mother in law had booked the room online because of the location it was the closest to story land, we were excepting just one tiny room but to our surprise when we walked in was amazing...it was like a little appartment. If I ever need to stay at a hotel again up north this will be the place. I have recommended it to all my friends and family. Just a beautiful place and the view from our room was awesome.
All the rooms were clean, the grounds very well taken care of and they had things for kids to do!

• Stayed June 2013
NH, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here mid-week in February and had a wonderful experience. We got a great mid-week ski deal and condo with the resort. For every night we stayed we got 2 adult day passes to Attitash and/or Wildcat, for us, thats 6 passes! We originally called to book with a different special but the customer service rep worked on getting us a better deal. The 1 bdrm condo included a nice patio with view of Black Mountain. The carpeting and overall decor was dated but clean. We enjoyed the in room jacuzzi, the pool, the skating pond, and the free passes to Great Glen Trails where we spent a day snowshoeing. The location is great, close to many attractions. We plan on returning for a summer trip and would like to make a yearly winter ski trip :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nordic Village Resort? Share your experiences!