We just returned from a 4th of July vacation to the White Mountains and Storyland with our two boys aged 4 and 7. We stayed in the Chateaus (133C - Grand Master Suite - the one with the amazing kitchen) and had a great time. The chateaus are at the very top of the resort, near the Tranquility Pool which is open only to guests of the chateaus. The kids wanted to swim everyday which was easy and relaxing as only 8 total families can potentially use the pool. We only met one other family at the pool during our stay and had the pool to ourselves every other time. The Tranquility pool is a saline pool so it did not have the strong chlorine smell that makes your lungs hurt after a few hours (although I may have smelled some chlorine in small amounts). There is also a chair to lower someone with limited mobility into the pool which must have been added after the resort photos were taken because it's not in the website pictures, but is a nice feature. One drawback is that pool towels are not provided, so you have to bring towels from your room, or use your own beach towels.
What I have figured out about the chateaus is that building 134 is pet-friendly and 133 is not, which was great to know for my family with allergies to dogs/cats.Our suite was very spacious with almost too much room devoted to "living area" (we thought a better layout would have allowed for two bedrooms), but great if you're stuck indoors on a rainy day. There is also a patio through the sliding glass doors with a gas grill, outdoor patio table and chairs, and an amazing view of the mountains.
The kitchen is huge, with lots of windows and a skylight. One minor complaint is that with a kitchen so grand you kind of expect to have great tools to cook with (like a nice gas range, knives for prepping veggies and meat, more than one cutting board, nice pots and pans) but the range was electric, I could only find a bread knife apart from lots of steak knives, and the pans were all nonstick while the spatulas, spoons, etc. were all metal. I realize I am one of the few oddballs who likes to cook on vacation, but was surprised that the supplies were about the same quality as I'd find in any other condo/rental. Like I said, minor complaint!
A few other nice touches we found were all the rooms were wired for music so you could choose to turn on/off music room by room. The rooms all had small stained-glass windows above the doors which helped keep the rooms light. And we made use of the washer/dryer.
The bathroom is very glamorous and dramatic with jacuzzi bathtub, which actually made it easy to wash the kids after each swim using the handheld shower. Little ones need help getting in and out because it is so deep and high up, but they loved the bubbles. It also has a double sink and a separate stand up shower.
Some drawbacks were that the wifi was spotty at times and was down for our entire last 1.5 days. We reported the issue to their outsourced service provider but there was no result while we were there. The patio set only had 3 chairs so we had to bring out an indoor chair to eat outside, just a minor inconvenience but seems like each suite that sleeps 4 should have 4 outside chairs too.The Chateau location is actually a mile from the resort entrance, which is where the nightly bonfires happen and where the other recreational facilities are, so we had to drive down the one night we went (a 2 mile hike roundtrip up and down a steep hill to roast marshmallows after a long day at Storyland was not an option for this family). But this is also a plus since it is really quiet and peaceful at the top.
The service was great at check in and check out, and they brought us fresh towels every day.
Storyland is only a mile away, so we took advantage of that by going home for a swim midday and returning to the park refreshed (the temps were in the low 90s). We will definitely return to stay again at the Chateaus in Nordic Village.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy indoor and outdoor heated pools, outdoor hot tubs, nightly bonfires, game room. We have a variety of lodging choices to accommodate your family's budget and have designed and oriented each of our units to provide you with maximum privacy and some of the finest views of the Mount Washington Valley. Choose from townhouses, suites, one and two-bedroom units, penthouses, to the elegance of our Chateau units at Highland Ridge. We also have pet-friendly units. We are the closest property to Story Land and just minutes away from tax-free outlet shopping, Mount Washington, and all White Mountain Attractions. Give us a call this Spring, we are offering some wonderful packages at great rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Odigeo, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your Nordic Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nordic Village Hotel Jackson
- Nordic Village Jackson
- Nordic Village Resort White Mountains, NH - Bartlett