“Fantastic Romantic Winter Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Nordic Village Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Rte. 16, Bartlett, NH 03846   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bartlett
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“Fantastic Romantic Winter Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

From the moment we walked into our spaciously lavish room we were impressed and continued to be even more-so as we explored it further; raised 4 post king size bed (with step stool), kitchenette, gas fireplace, large walk in closet, 2 person garden tub, separate toilet and shower area and a balcony with an amazing mountain view. Despite the room's attributes and charm.....the outdoor heated pool called to us. Great fun swimming with snow all around you. We didn't take a dip in either of their 2 outdoor hot tubs. Because Nordic Village is so close to everything; taking short jaunts to North Conway and Mount Washington were incredibly easy. Although the intent of our getaway was a quiet romantic one there is also LOTS to do for those seeking skiing, snow shoeing, or snowmobiling adventures. So it seems to me that whether you are looking to relax or explore the area Nordic Village should be your home away from home.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of The Chateau rooms at the top of the property. Well worth the treat!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Barrington, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Nordic Highlands Penthouse was lovely - it was our 3rd stay and we are always pleased. Helpful and friendly staff - quick response to all of our requests (for example: we asked for a toaster and someone arrived within 5 minutes with a shiny new one!) The penthouse rooms are extremely tidy and clean and the bathroom is immaculate. We never had a visit from housekeeping during our 4 day stay in November, but it did not matter, as you can visit the desk building for towels and coffee replenishment. The Mountaintop Fitness Center is great - lots of equipment and the outside hot tub is fun in the snow - great view as well...we also discovered the dry sauna downstairs - especially nice, as there are few other people there in the early Winter. We did encounter @20 wild turkeys several times each day near our unit - they were not interested in moving along immediately - it was fun to see them!

Room Tip: Penthouse suites are quiet and have panoramic views - no elevators, so you must climb several flight...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Quincy, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed over long weekend in February 2013. Resort is nicely located a short drive from Jackson Town which has restaurants activities etc. ( I prefer this location to staying in the hustle and bustle of North Conway) The 1 bdrm we stayed in had a full kitchen, living room with sleeper sofa and a bdrm with king size bed which made for a comfortable stay for our family of four. The resort runs up a large hill/ mountain which provides nice views for I assume most or all of the rooms at the resort. The rooms are clean and comfortable but really do need to be updated. (old furniture, old appliances, rugs etc.) Every room as well as the indoor pool area and rec room have fireplaces however they cannot be used because the fire marshal has ruled them unsafe until repairs are made. I was aware of this prior to booking however it appears this problem has persisted for a while and I wonder if there is any concrete plans in place to fix them as I am sure it is a costly repair. The indoor pool and heated outdoor pool were nice however the 2 hot tubs (1 outside 1 inside) were old and many of the jets were not working. The adjacent recreation room which appeared to have arcade games and some table games was under renovation however no one informed us of this upon booking or check-in. Overall this resort has it's positives and negatives however with some investment in updating and repairs it could really be a gem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Troy, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stay at the Nordic Village smply because, for the price of a week, we don't get all the amenties any where else. We've been going so long, we know which condo we like and get the same on. This past time we were delighted to see the couch and chair had been updated. Loved the chair with the otoman. Last trip the bed and TV had changed. Now had a 55" flat screen. Yes, there is stilll more that needs to be updated (curtains and bedspread for instance) but as I said it's a great condo for a long stay, Weekends are a little expensive. The biggest complaint I have is the outdoor hot tub in the Mountain Club. It is the same hot tub that was there my first visit in 1995. It has maybe 2 or 3 jets that work and the tiles around the top came off years ago. I'm not sure why they haven't replaced it yet. Other than that everything was in working order, which sometimes it is not. I love, love the fitness center and the outdoor hottub there. Also the suana is there. Many times throught the years there have been lights that don't work or the fireplace won't come on in the condo, but we call the front desk and it always is fixed the same day. If people don't tell them when they check out or check in they won't know. We will go back again with the hope that the hot tub will be replaced!

Room Tip: Call and talk with the place about what condos are where and what they have, then make the reservati...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ManageratNordic, Manager at Nordic Village Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and concerns. We do realize that the hot tub at the Mountain Club needs replacing in the near future. We have been busy on other capital improvements, such as winterizing the Pavilion game room and making it a 4 season amenity. Although we may not have a chance to replace the hot tub this year, it is definitely on our list of projects. Thank you again we do hope to see you soon.
Holliston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We picked Nordic Village on the advice of a relative. When we checked in the staff was friendly and helpful. Our unit had a problem with a loud blower on the gas fireplace and the alternate heat source did not work properly. Immediately upon notifying the front desk they changed our room and upgraded our unit. The new unit was wonderful, peaceful, clean, well-maintained and had wonderful views. The pool facility is terrific, even if we had to drive down to it because of the snow. We did not see much of the grounds because of the weather, it is a beautiful place. I would highly recommend it to couples and families. There is a lot to do on the grounds and in the area!

Room Tip: Condo style units - all are quiet and have great views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are happy that you had such a wonderful vacation. We do have an excellent staff and they are always willing to help out whenever they can. We do hope you plan a visit in the summer as well. There are many things to do at Nordic Village during in all seasons and we look forward to your next visit.
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have been coming up to Nordic Village (and Luxury Mountain Getaways) for over 10 years and recently stayed in I79A&B. There were 4 adults traveling together. Check-in was smooth and the staff was very nice at the desk. However, when I entered the unit I was instantly horrified! The wallpaper was peeling off the walls all over the unit (not just in one little spot) the carpet was dirty, there were pictures missing off the walls (and the ones that were there were so outdated!) the couch was ripped and there were no throw pillows, not to mention that it sounded like a pack of wild animals were staying above us as it was SO LOUD!!! I was very embarrassed as I had been raving about this place to the other 2 adults traveling with us! We made the best of it because Nordic Village is in a great location. The unit did have great views though and they were offereing great discounted Bretton Woods lift tickets. I had been planning on coming back to Nordic Village with our daughter this summer to go to Story Land...but I may have to look elsewhere as I do not want her to stay in such dirty conditions. For the price of these condos, they should be cleaner and much more updated!

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor unless you want to hear what sounds like a stampede all the time!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are very important to us. I do apologize that your unit was not up to standard and we do have some work to do in some of the units. And I do apologize for the noise of your neighbors. I wish we would have been made aware of your disappointment and we would have tried to resolve your issues. We hope that you will consider a trip to Nordic Village this summer as it is a very special time here. We have entertainment nightly for the kids and we are just a short drive from Story Land. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back this summer.
Dennis Port, Ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at Nordic Village over the long Martin Luther King weekend. Our first issue was when we opened the door to the building and there was no light switch to light the stairway to go up the stairs. The only light was for the immediate foyer area. I couldn't believe it. It was pitch black up the stairway. My husband had to go up the stairs by himself and found a switch up there that lit up the stairway so my 3 year old and I could walk up the stairs. How ridiculous.

Then, the unit's door opened out instead of in, so you had to back up almost down the stairs in order to open the door. I was always holding onto my daughter each time we entered the unit so she didn't fall Don't know why the door would open out into the hallway -- it wasn't handicap accessible at all. And if the people upstairs happened to be walking by when we left, they would get hit in the face with the door. Very poor design! (unit # was O127A -- one bedroom condo).

I used to stay at Nordic Village back in the 80's and 90's and the room seemed like nothing had been updated. But I could live with it for the dining and living space, mountain views and location. What I couldn't live with was the king size bed in the bedroom. The mattress was hard as a rock -- the most uncomfortable thing I ever laid on. Certainly not what I expected for $180 a night. Furthermore, the mattress was hanging over the box spring on either side and I felt like I was falling off the bed if I got to close to the edge. And when I would get off the bed, my daughter would wake up since the mattress would move up and down. I was ready to call down to the office the next morning, however, I took a closer look at the mattress and box spring. What I found was that the mattress was on the box spring the wrong way. The head-to-toe part of the mattress was put from left to right and made that way. How did they not realize that when tucking in the bedding? Unbelievable! My husband had to move it and we had to put the bedding back on. Not what we should have to be doing while on vacation -- and for the money we were paying. And the linens were old and pilly. The mattress pad under the fitted sheet was so bad, I could feel hard things beneath the sheet. It was horrible! And the sheets for the pull-out sofa were ripped on the sides, most likely from being used on pull-out sofas, but still unacceptable.

I also want to warn you that the ceiling is paper thing and the plumbing is extremely loud. We heard the water running down the wall from the upstairs unit every time they took a shower or flushed the toilet -- and when they filled the tub for a jacuzzi at 10:00 p.m., I thought my daughter was going to wake up it was so loud. I didn't get much sleep at all.

Upon check-out, I told the clerk about the mattress being so hard and the fact that it was on the box spring the wrong way and we had to move it ourselves. He just said he'd check the mattress. He didn't offer anything for our having to do manual labor to fix it ourselves, not to mention having to sleep on a rock. I was very disappointed with his attitude and the lack of customer service. Not sure I'd go back to Nordic Village again. Such a shame since the location is great for winter activities at Nestlenook and summer fun at Story Land -- both so close.by.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nordic Village Resort? Share your experiences!