“Learn From Our Mistake!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Val-U Motel
125 East Winnemucca Blvd, Winnemucca, NV 89445   |
Ranked #18 of 18 hotels in Winnemucca
Cork, Ireland
“Learn From Our Mistake!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were driving through Nevada on I80 and needed a place to stay for the night. My theory was that so long as we just needed a bed for a few hours sleep, it didn't matter where we stayed since there would be the same minimal standard in effect everywhere. Bad mistake! This place shows there is no floor on standards in Nevada. In a word, this place is disgusting. I can't even describe how badly stained the carpet and furniture are. The lamps are bolted down so the guests won't steal them or throw them. In any case, they certainly can't be used because there is no bulb. I can go on but you get the idea. We slept on a sleeping bag from our car rather than trust the sheets. We would have been better off sleeping in the car at the rest stop outside of town. I'm shocked that the local health and safety department does not shut down this dump.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

At 1:00 am with a dog in the car we were lucky to find a place. The lady at the desk wasn't certain we wouldn't find guests already in the room because she misplaced the ledger but hey, we lucked out! No AC but the two queen beds smelled nice n bleachy and the shower was great. Cheap and fine for the 8 hours we needed it.

• Stayed June 2012
Dayton, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

DO NOT STAY THERE! I had the worst experience in all of my business travels. First, they charge your credit card ahead of time for the entire reservation, and NO, no money back! The room was $62.00 a night, which I spent with all the lights on because of the bugs (Roaches).
The bed still had other guests sheets on them. The toilet still had urine stains on the seat!!! The bathtub had mold in the edges and some brown yuk inside the tub and also on the outside of the tub (Poop?).
The carpet had a big stain, like someone relieved their stomach or something and there was still crust on it,..yuk!
There were 2 chairs in the room that had loads of stains and left over matter still stuck to it. They took the chairs out of my room and put them in the hallway, where they stayed until I left. The chairs are probably back in the room (Room 231).
I had to fight with them to get clean towels (there is NO maid service for just one room they said). The towels they brought me, looked like someone was using them for cleaning rags!!!
The microwave door had a pellet size hole through it (I don't think that's save??!!)
The outlet by the bed had no cover on it and was filthy with some kind of ???
I wish I could have gotten a shot of the roaches, but they are just too quick.

I can not believe that the health department gives them a go ahead to stay in business.
I rather eat and sleep in my dogs dog house, it'll be a lot cleaner!!!!.
AGAIN, PLEASE DO NOT STAY THERE, THERE ARE OTHER NICER PLACES IN TOWN FOR THE SAME PRICE ($62.00/NIGHT) OR LESS!!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY THERE, even if there are NO OTHER ROOMS in town available!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tamworth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Val-u motel For one night in September and regret ever doing so. The carpets in the hallway were filthy and I doubt they were ever cleaned! The rooms smelt like cigarettes when they were non smoking and the bed spreads were dirty with lumpy disintegrating pillows. We didn't even want to think about what was in the sheets and the bathroom was rusty and old! We didn't pay much for the night so we didn't expect much but were still horrified by our experience. The continental breakfast in reception was ok with minimal items such as muffins and pastries plus a coffee or cup of tea. On the plus side the hotel was reasonably well positioned! I would definitely not reccommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011
Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was the 2nd worse motel I've ever stayed in. The 1st worse had bullet holes in the window, which thankfully the Val-u didn't!

We were on our way to a family wedding, just needed a place to plop down our heads for the night. It was midnight and every other motel in town was full. We were lucky to get a room at all. However, the hallway was filthy, papers, dirt, cigarette butts all over the carpet. The room was in shambles. The overhead lamp was cracked and broken, the carpet had un-nameable stains. The beds were so sway-backed that hubby and I kept bumping noses, and ended up in separate beds. The bedding looked clean, but I didn't completely trust the bedspreads.

Thankfully, we were in the end of the hotel close to the office and we had a fairly quiet room. The other end of the hotel was full of people partying, popping from room to room in semi-clad states and being very loud. I have a feeling there was reason that this was the only hotel in town with available rooms!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Granite Bay, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Recommend looking elsewhere to stay. It was the worse place we stayed on our five day drive back west. Small town and unfortunately there were no vacancies with the small selection of other hotels around.

Smelled pretty bad in side, no continental breakfast (with how things were, i don't think I would have eaten food from there), did not want to take off my shoes, shower didn't really want to drain... Overall lesson-if it sounds sketchy, it probably is.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011 via mobile

my stay was great because of the service new carpet and awesome service along with a beautiful pool. There was a good sauna and they worked with me about the rate. overall it was one of the best motels I ever stayed at.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Val-U Motel? Share your experiences!