“gave my room away, then lied about it” 3 of 5 stars

Winners Inn Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   185 W. Winnemucca Boulevard, Winnemucca, NV 89445   |
Ranked #13 of 18 hotels in Winnemucca
Elko, Nevada
“gave my room away, then lied about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked a room here for Saturday night. No problem, until I checked in. I booked a room with two beds, then after checking in and paying for the room I went to the room and it only had one bed. I thought it was a mistake, sure no worries I can just walk back to the front desk and fix it. Wrong, when I mentioned I booked a room with two beds I was told "it was mentioned when you booked the room that it was a room with one bed". Bottom line is, why would I book a room with one bed when I asked for a room with two beds??? No matter the bed looked uncomfortable and old anyways, I went somewhere else and still enjoyed myself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Shaheez! (shaking my head) This hotel is no fun. Now, I wish that I could write a comparison review between this place and the one that I am staying in now. Wow...viva the freaking difference!
I have decided to do you all a favor and tell you what happened to me at Winners.
Winners is part casino and part hotel. It has several sections that offer different kinds of accomodations. I decided that I wanted to stay in the remodeled section. (I had nothing whatsoever to do with the casino or the eateries during my overnight stay because I am not a casino person. I just wanted a nice place to hang-out.)
I made the mistake of assuming that a big place like Winners would offer top-notch, classy rooms that are managed by nice, classy people.
Um...I was wrong.
First of all, I wandered into the casino and went looking for the front desk. (I had already called the hotel and they were expecting me.)
A woman in a uniform and wearing a name tag, walked up out of nowhere and practically blocked my path. She (shame on her!) took in my old shoes, funky hat and my backpack and didn't smile.
I asked for directions to the front desk and she escorted me to it. Then she stood back as if she didn't think that I was really going to be "eligable" to get a room there.
I got my room key and I was sent down a long hallway. I was in that room for about ten minutes when the noise started. And it sounded like a buzz saw in harmony with a very loud hammer.
I looked around the small room that I had paid too much for, sighed and called the front desk. I asked them to put me in a quieter room and I asked someone to come up and switch keys with me. Someone did comply with my request.
Then I was sent up two flights of stairs (that was when I was told that there is no elevator in the hotel!) and entered another teeny-weeny room. Granted, the room has been remodeled but the two beds in that room just about took up the main walking space! It was supposed to be a non-smoking room but it stunk of cigarettes and something else that I just can't put my finger on.
The room includes a flatscreen TV but no microwave or refrigerator. (I will choose a mic-and-frig combo any day, over a fancy TV.)
And then...it started...again...somewhat muted and from a distance...but there it was again: The
saw and hammer combo!
The bathroom only included a small, stand-up shower and no bathtub. For the price that I paid, I couldn't even sink into bubbles.
Today, I left and walked out of the room without my Walkman radio and a set of very nice headphones. I didn't realize it until I got to the motel that I am in, now. I called back to the hotel and found out that they had my music-maker under lock-and-key. When I walked back into the hotel, the woman at the front desk made me sign a paper before she handed my music-maker back to me. I applaud the housekeeper and the front desk woman for returning my music-maker back to me. That I will applaud them for. But otherwise, I will never stay at that hotel, again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This little town knows it has the corner on the market when it comes to places to stay- and there's nothing else for hours- and their rates prove it. Rates on a Tuesday nite with nothing going on/no holiday were $60 to $109 for even the run-down places. We would never have paid as much for any of these places if there were other towns nearby! Our room was clean- no frills but a coffee pot, phone, tv and alarm clock. A big plus is that they didn't charge a pet fee- just a deposit. Since our dog is 13, he does little besides nap- no messes or noise- and paying a huge fee for him is ridiculous. We had great service at the casino- slow at first but definitely got better!

Room Tip: the 400s are quiet and have plenty of parking right out front
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Took a room here because they had a fair in town and it was the only rooms left. Rooms are dirty and noisy. My friend put fifty dollars in a dollar machine and asked if he could get a beer. The waitress came back after he lost his money and said in order to get a beer he had to play. This is the same waitress that he got a rack of silver dollars from in the first place, She then told him he could get a beer at the bar and the bar tender said no beer if your not playing. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: There are no good tips
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Henry K, Public Relations Manager at Winners Inn Casino, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Thankfully, our new owner instituted a customer service training program designed to prevent exactly the type of experience you describe, just five months after your stay here. If you saw your way fit to try us again, I believe you'd find our staff much better focused on promoting a great guest experience.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Exausted, road weary after hours of driving we stayed at Winners. Never again. We've stayed in some run down motels/hotels, but at least they were clean. This place was filthy. The box springs had a break as big as two Sumo wrestler rear-rends. I walked across the rug once barefoot, sat on the bed and my feet were black from the filthy rug. The curtains wouldn't close and all I can say about the bathroom; it was one step up from a outhouse, only because it had running water (the toilet ran all night) and a bar of soap. Unless they lower their rates to $19.99 a night it's wasted money, camp out, or sleep inside your car in The Winnemucca Inn's parking lot (stayed there on the way back. Fantastic!)
Don't expect a great meal at Winners Grandma's House either, I recomend Jack in the Box.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was traveling through Nevada on my way to California. Once you pass Elko,NV heading West this place really may be the last place to stop before another 3 hra to Reno-- I checked out some reviews and decided to give it a try.
The town is a small old town with a few casinos in it, and some lower end hotels. When I pulled up I was a bit reluctant because of the way the actual Hotel/Motel/ Casino was layed out. They did have some oversized free vehicle parking which was a huge plus.
Once I went inside the casino to register there was a pretty solid smoke odor from probably tens of years of slot players hoping to win big. I asked for a non smoking room, the clerk was friendly and was able to accomadate me in one of there remodeled rooms. The building I was in looked shabby but I was happy with the spacious room and nice size flat screen on the wall. All in all I felt safe and it was an uneventful yet affordable stay for some rest.

• Stayed August 2011
Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Recently returned from a road trip and had the opportunity to stay one night at the Winners Hotel & Casino in Winnemucca, Nevada. At first glance you might have second thoughts about staying
there but don't let looks deceive you. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and after a long day on the road my wife and I got exactly what we wanted, a good nights sleep. Our room was in the Villa portion or the hotel, was directly across the street form the main hotel and casino
and was very affordable. We had dinner at the cafe in the main hotel and it too resulted in what we wanted, a full stomach at a reasonable price. If we were to return to Winnemucca in the future the Winners Hotel & Casino would be on our list of places to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Winners Inn Casino? Share your experiences!