“Second trip not as good as our first” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Peppermill Wendover Hotel Casino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Wendover
Peppermill Wendover Hotel Casino
You added Peppermill Wendover Hotel Casino to your Saves list
680 Wendover Boulevard, West Wendover, NV 89883   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in West Wendover
Forney, Texas
“Second trip not as good as our first”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

Ok folks, here it is, our second trip to Wendover: May 27-May 30. My husband and I booked our trip through Max Air. Once again the flight staff was very friendly. Our flight was slightly delayed (30 minutes) due to weather out of Dallas. Not a big deal....they can't control the weather. On the flight we were given more coupons to use while in Wendover. We stayed at the Peppermill again, opting for a jacuzzi suite which was very nice. To date, we have not had any complaints about the cleaniness of our room, or the daily maid service....they are great!!!! We did have a plasma screen tv in our room this time. On our first trip the slots were pretty generous with us. Well, lets just say, that was not the case this time. Our "big jackpot" this time was a whopping $158 on a penny machine. We did play the nickle, quarter and dollar machines, with very little to no luck. We did have some other very small payouts, but we still lost our tails. I know, only take what you want to give away.....and that's exactly what we did. While visiting the different casinos, we did notice that we liked the overall appearance of the Nugget better than the other blinding neon casinos. We did spend alot of time at their casino. However, on our last night, there were not enough cocktail waitresses and one of the bars was closed. My husband and I were in desperate need of a bottle of water or even a soda. My husband tried several times to CHASE down a waitress, only to have her walk away or be told that someone else would be by soon to get our order. After waiting for an hour and thirty minutes, my husband demanded that we leave. We took our free drink coupons over to Montego Bay and were finally able to get something to drink. On this trip we also tried the Rainbow Steakhouse. We had heard and read so much about it, we had to see what the fuss was about. They do take the $25 coupon off the second entree. The atmosphere was very nice. The waitstaff was very polite and attentive to our needs. The salad was great. The steak was OK. It was well seasoned and cooked perfectly, but I guess my expectations far exceeded the actual entree. Along with the steak you get some seasoned vegetables and a side. We were comfortably full after our meal.....and came to the conclusion that it is not worth a second trip. We did reserve a rental car through Montego Bay prior to our arrival. We did not have any problems with the rental car or the two ladies working for Hertz. They were very helpful and pleasant. Then came the travel: Salt Lake City. We had an enjoyable trip, it was a much needed break from the casinos and those tight slot machines. We also visited the Wendover museum and walked around learning about the airport. The museum is very small, but do have a few interesting items to see. Our only disappointment with that: we could not believe that this tiny airport is such an important part of history, and is literally falling apart. On our last morning there, I was hoping to hit a few small jackpots (like I did on our first trip) prior to getting on the bus. Needless to say.....that didn't work out either. When visiting casinos there will always be times when the machines are "paying out" and times when they are "tight". All the machines were tight on this trip. We were a little disappointed not to come home with a "big win" story to brag about, and neither did anyone on our flight. Will we go back to Wendover? YES. Hopefully our luck will be better on the next trip. You can't beat the price for a quick getaway.

• Liked — We enjoy the Peppermill. Nice hotel. Great staff.
  • Disliked — Once again, no complaints about the Peppermill.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
albuquerque, nm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

we have been to wendover many times on airmax. we have always enjoyed our stay. the rooms are clean, service is fine and so is the food. Last visit will be our last because we love to gamble. Our most enjoyable pass time is penny machine slots. What a joke they have become. They have made it almost impossible to have fun. The pay out rate is so bad in most of the machines, that I wonder if they are really regulated by the state. I know that some of the machines don't pay anything at all and are merely money pits. I watched many people play the same machines, and they NEVER got the bonus or NEVER made any money. I know the economy is bad, and casinos are hurting, but that is plain robbery of good, ole honest folks. Like I said I will never be going back and none of the casinos in Wendover deserve customers until they pay out at a better rate.

Albuquerque, nm

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — gambling
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these West Wendover hotels

Duluth, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Our first three day trip to Wendover Casinos was a fairly good one. On April 18th 2008 my wife and I flew out of Duluth, MN on Max Air. Our flight was quite enjoyable. The flight host did a nice job keeping us entertained. We were told a different airplane with more passenger room would be used on the return trip. Our return trip was a surprise.. a smaller airplane, no extra passenger space, less room if anything and notification just before take off that we would be one hour later for our home airport arrival time due to a "fuel stop" in Salt Lake City. Many passengers complained that it would be difficult to contact their pick up persons at the Duluth airport as to the later arrival time. Many family members sat needlessly an extra hour waiting our arrival. We stayed at the Peppermill Hotel, but gambled in all four casinos. Check in was a breeze. Luggage showed up two hours later to our room. No problems. House keepers did a fine job. We had a mini Jacuzzi suite and used it every night. That required extra cleaning work for house keeping. We tipped three dollars a day. Our room was spotless. Meals were quite good, except for a bad experience at the Cocoa Palms. My wife’s meal arrived 19 minutes after mine. Needless to say neither of us was pleased to eat on a 20 minute rotation. Only one meal was removed from our bill after considerable verbal confrontation with the manager. This was a very poor dining experience. All other meals were very good including buffets. The Steak House was excellent. Slots were tight, but table games better than most. We won and lost enough gambling during the trip that between the comps and winnings. The whole trip, food, drinks and tips cost us only $23.00. How can you have that much fun for less? We had planned for a two hour horse back trail ride, but the ridding service cancelled our ride at the last minute due to cool weather and not being ready with the horses that early in the season. Would we do it again?? We are planning a return trip in August.

• Liked — Top notch room service house cleaning
  • Disliked — much heavy cigarrete smoke every where
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

My wife and I and another couple stayed at the Peppermill in West Wendover April8-11, 2008, booking our flight through MaxAir via our local newspaper. We had a lot of fun, the rooms were excellent, clean and very comfotable. Maid service the next day we excellent. Everyone at the casinos were very friendly and helpful. The buffets at each of the major casinos were good. The 3 casino's have a shuttle bus that runs 24/7, that picks you up in the front of the hotel and the wait for us was less than 5 minutes each time we used them. The 3 major casinos had lots of neon lights in them, not like most casinos we have visited in the past. The red garter was more like other casinos we have been to. The fourth casino, the Red Garter is close enough to walk to from the Rainbow Casino. All the slots seemed a bit tight compared to other casinos we have visited over the past 20+ years. We rented a car for one day at the only place in town, Hertz Car Rental located in the Montego Bay casino. If you want a rental car, make sure you call well in advance and call the Montego Bay casino direct, DO NOT USE the 1-800 number on the hertz.com web page. There are only 3 or 4 cars for the whole town and 2 were wrecked while we were there. My wife called the casino a about 2 weeks prior to departure and they didn't have our reservations we made with national Hertz rental car company. They told us you have to call them direct for a reservation. Our last day there was not too good. We were told to check-in our luggage for the return flight at the hotel desk between 5:45AM and 6:45AM. No one from the airlines showed up untill almost 7:00AM. They took us to the airport at 8:00AM so not much time to eat breakfast before we were headed to the aiport. Other than that little hitch we had a great time, and I personally don't think the Casino's had anything to do with that. I'm almost sure MaxAir employed the persons responsible for luggage pick-up.
About the only thing to see near West Wendover is the Bonniville Salt Flats, about 15 miles east of the city in Utah and a nice display at the airport about the Enola Gay during WWII. We went there while we had the rental car and it was interesting. Nice diplays and pictures from Wendovers hayday during WWII. Hope this helps someone.

• Liked — Clean Rooms
  • Disliked — Luggage Check-out on our last day
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Just got back home from spending 9 days at the Peppermill Casino and Hotel. What a great place to stay! Our hostess (Bobbi Madsen) is superb not to mention all the other great hosts and hostesses that are also wonderful. The only bad experience we had was my husband became ill during our stay.
I went to the local Grocery Store (Smiths) to speak to their pharmacist and received only rudeness. What an arrogant man who is the manager there. When I mentioned my experience to the locals, everyone knew who he was and were very anxious to get rid of him. He certainly doesn't represent Wendover well. Stay away from that place for sure!
Will not let this spoil future trips to Wendover. We plan to go back in the Fall and hopefully we will stay healthy. Love the PEPPERMILL and their STAFF.

home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

I have been to the Peppermill 4 times and plan on going back in May. They are all great and treat you very good.

• Liked — gambling
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

I'm mainly a blackjack player, and the table games/rules were pretty good. There are 4 main casinos in town, and 3 are run by the same company and look very similar. All 4 have the same rules for blackjack: Single deck (rare these days), dealer hits on soft 17, double on any 2 cards, can't double after split. I was there during mid-week and the limits were as low as $3, with many at $5-10. Most of the tables were closed since not that many people there mid-week, but you could almost always find an empty table or just one or two other people. Most of the dealers were friendly, and the cocktail waitresses came by pretty frequently.

They also have 3-card poker, Let it Ride, Pai Gow, and a couple kinds of Texas Hold-em with $5 limits. They had craps with as low as $3 limits with 10 times odds. Each place also had sports betting areas.

A shuttle takes you between the casinos that are spread over about a mile. It comes around every 15-20 minutes.

The food was a little expensive at the coffee shops, but the comps were generous so it didn't matter. (The same players card is good for all 3 of their casinos). All of the meals after the 1st evening were comped. They even had a separate amount available for just the gift shop, so basically a free souvenir. They also gave coupons for $5 off any meal & 2-for-one off at the steak-house. All places had a buffet and a coffee shop. Everything I ate was good. There is also a McDonalds & a Burger King right by the Rainbow & Peppermill casinos.

I came on Max Air which was a great deal. They fly a 737 which was OK, and the people running it were very nice & efficient. I stayed at the Peppermill and when you get there, they have your room keys, players card & some coupons ready. You just give them your name, they give you the stuff, & off you go. They deliver any luggage directly to your room within an hour or so.

I stayed at the Peppermill. The room was very nice - large, clean & well maintained. I was told by several people that the Montego Bay had the best rooms. I checked out the pools: Peppermill has none, Rainbow had an indoor pool which was OK, and Montego Bay had a great outdoor pool. It was by far the nicest with a spa, exercise room, music piped outside, many pool chairs & tables. My understanding is that if you stay at any of the 3 places, you can use any of the pools. As far as the casinos, I don't think it matters where you stay.

The airport is amusing. They have one airstrip and all of the buildings are pre-WW II. It was the home base for B-52's. Apparently the Enola Gay that dropped atomic bomb came from Wendover. You get off the plane & walk across the tarmac into an old building lined with chairs that has been fixed up to be the waiting area. From there you are shuttled to your hotel-casino which only takes a few minutes.

If you're not into gambling, there is not anything to do except lay by the pools or watch TV. There is a place that rents ATV's & horses if you're into that.

Overall, I had a great time & recommend Wendover for a short get-away. Good luck!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Peppermill Wendover Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!