“Worst, most unsafe, hotel stay in my life...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Garter Hotel & Casino

Red Garter Hotel & Casino
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Wendover
Red Garter Hotel & Casino
You added Red Garter Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Interstate 80, West Wendover, NV 89883   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in West Wendover
Providence, Utah
“Worst, most unsafe, hotel stay in my life...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My in-laws, my wife and I frequently go to Wendover for a weekend getaway. I am a psychologist in Northern Utah and have had hotel stays throughout the states, S. America, Mexico, and Europe. Never have I had anywhere close to this level of unimaginably horrible service and experience. My in-laws have compromised health and have incurred massive medical bills in recent past. While they and we are frequent travelers to Wendover, we had yet to go together. They booked a room for reservation. Upon arrival I told the check-in attendant I would like to pay for the rooms as part of a pre-Christmas gift for my in-laws, who are knowing difficult financial times. I swiped my card, gave my identify, and assumed all was well (Friday arrival). Saturday after lunch none of our cards (4 cards for 2 different rooms) functioned in our doors. No problem--simply seek new keys, which were immediately granted after being told that this happens a lot. Just before checkout on Sunday, a hotel employee knocks or our door. I ask her what the issue is. Instead of addressing me, she radios to the front desk that "they're still here". She did not speak once to me, and was told to quickly return to front desk. Perplexed, we continued our preparation for check-out. Minutes later we get a knock on the door, this time from a Tooele County Sheriff and Wendover police officer. They begin an interrogation of us: require our ID, when we came, who's with us, who has been in our room, etc., etc.. Shaken, we tried to inquire what the issue was. We received no disclosure or reassurance, but at least they left. I asked the same lady who had initially came to the room what the issue was, and she pretended to not understand English. I also speak Spanish fluently (served an ecclesiastical mission in Argentina) and she refused to tell me why we were being interviewed by police). as we left, she and another employee immediately went to our room fot whatever purpose. I asked the front office, who vaguely indicated they may have had concerns of multiple break-ins throughout the hotel and breaches of their security. We left ASAP. Upon returning, I contacted Stephanie Herndandez, the director of Hotel Operations. All calls were ignored, despite three inquiries into what had occurred, why we were interviewed, and what possible breeches of security should we be aware of (for our possessions and personal safety). I told her if she failed to respond to my third inquiry I would take the matter to the general manager, which I did. I received the same non-response from David Serafini. I let them know I would write reviews on all internet-based hotel services (which I'm currently doing), the local chamber of commerce, better business bureau, and the gaming commission for Nevada. I understand that 'stuff happens'-no prob. But there is a basic level of integrity, safety, and customer care that one expects from a hotel service. This was the most dangerous, poorest hospitality, and worst customer service ever. If I were the owner of the hotel, I would seriously ask what I am paying David Serafini and Stephanie Hernandez to do, because IMO they were utterly negligent and inept at their duties. A simple return call to ease our minds would have sufficed. Apparently they had more important items to attend to--such as cashing their pay check for a job not done. BTW, last night my mother-in-law called, saying they too were charged for the room. Stay at your own risk. I fulfilled my obligation to warn you.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Huntington Woods, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I'm a budget traveler and found this hotel, where I've stayed before, to be not as bad as the reviews would indicate. The front desk staff were friendly enough. The lights over the bed didn't work in the first room, but the staff moved us two doors away quickly enough. The beds were comfortable enough. The shower/bath had lots of hot water. Since this was right before Christmas, the rate for one night, everything included, was $29. I can put up with some conveniences for this level of saving. (I will note that I looked up the hotel three times on the same day with three different base rates--$22, $27.50, and $44. The low rate was one of the reasons for my Wendover trip from Salt Lake).

I also had breakfast in the dinner. Nowhere did the menu or publicity in the restaurant talk about the $2.99 special that I knew about from reading the local paper, but the waitress honored the special when asked.

The casino had reasonable odds for video poker in comparison with the other options in Wendover.

As an aside, I liked the Red Garter even better 25 years ago when it has the feel of a friendly local casino without the corporate atmosphere of most casinos today.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

9/27/13 we just left that nasty dinner, we ordered our food. Watched the waiter chat while out food sat. When we got our food we started to eat, my husband saw a fly cooked into his meal. It was so nasty, we told the waiter. They had the cook come out and say sorry...... We ran out of that place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these West Wendover hotels

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

don't stay here! plastic sheets on the bed. slept in my jeans and sweatshirt cause didn't want to touch anything. cigarette burns in carpet. knife cut in comforter. had a coupon for free drink so went to bar. bartender was very rude! all he said was "what do you want"! girl at check out seemed like she was begging for a tip. I work in customer service and if I treated my customers that way I wouldn't have a job! I never write bad reviews. that's how bad it was.

Room Tip: just keep driving!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

when we checked in the front desk clerks were less than helpful. The room was hot. The bedcover had tears in it from a knife. When I pulled back the covers there with hair on the pillows.
We rejected the room and wanted our money back. Customer service was poor to nothing. We took our business to another hotel...the rainbow was decent..

• Stayed July 2013
Taylorsville, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My sister stayed there last night. Not a good idea.
Most of the rooms got robbed! There is no security cameras in the hotel halls. Someone had a master key to the rooms. No security was walking the hallways.
They stole her purse that was hidden under the bed. Her 19 year od son passed away March 10,2012 She had his wallet in her purse. His social security card, his last paycheck, his last school grades, His Phone with the last messages of his life. Not to mention all of her things.Phone, extra car key ($500.00), Her wallet with everthing in it. And the attitude the front desk clerks give her well there's nothing that can be done about it right now. You'll have to wait for my manager. She will be to work in a couple hours. You want to stay far away from the Red Garter in Wendover Nv.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have eaten several times at this cafe inside the Red Garter Casino, but during a recent trip the food was horrible. It was dirty and there was no heat where we were sitting. Ask the waitress why it was so cold and she stated it was because of the double doors. What? How about turning the heat up. They had two space heaters going, but you still had to wear your coats. The sandwich I ordered was a patty melt, the meat was like a hockey puck and the bread was also hard as a rock, the onions were not grilled, it was just awful.

Best advice, eat at the snack bar (if it is opened).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Red Garter Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!