“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Queen Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Virginia City
Silver Queen Hotel
You added Silver Queen Hotel to your Saves list
28 North C Street, Virginia City, NV 89440   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Virginia City
California
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

We stayed here leaving another hotel that was outside of town. The location is the best bar-non, if you want to be in the middle of everything in town there really is only one place to stay and this is it. The management is friendly and ready to help you if you have a problem. When you go to Virginia City you want to feel like you have gone back in time and here you really do, and the ghosts greet you with a smile.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

I suppose the only thing that matters is that the beds are only mildly comfortable. The rest of the place is great, antique, charming and haunted. Not to mention that it is stumbling distance from any bar in town.
There are A LOT of stairs and they are steep but an adventure none-the-less.
Also, the walls are paper thin, so if your are not a hard sleeper...
A plus is that as long as you have well behaved dogs, they are allowed!
There is a cute wedding chapel in the hotel as well. A great place for events!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kelseyville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Myself,my husband,my two 13 year old daughters and my 22 year son all went to Virginia City to celebrate my birthday.We were there to go on the ghost hunting tour and do some serious sightseeing. The only place I had any interest in staying was the Silver Queen,so I was prepared to love it,no matter what ! With that being said,it was old(duh) somewhat shabby,kinda funky,absolutely clean,and very comfortable.There were plenty of towels,adequate bedding and the plumbing worked great (Hey it's old,that might be a concern)
As Mark Twain once said"The walls were so thin you could almost hear her change her mind"I believe he was speaking of the Silver Queen.Lots of drunks coming in late, just added to the experience.
OK ,so now what you have all been waiting for...was it haunted? We stayed in rooms 11 and 13(Our room was actually part of the ghost tour,but because we were in it, they did not have people go in,he he)The jury is still out for me,it was hard to tell what was natural phenomenon and what was not.
Upon entering The Silver Queen,you head up a very steep,long stair case,it made me dizzy,by the time I went into my room(11) I felt dizzy and heavy??Almost like the pressure of being under water.I have heard of other people feeling that way when having a paranormal experience,or it was just because the building leans and it gives you a "fun house" effect.The pics I took of the stairs are blurry,so are the ones of the hall,My camera's pics are never blurry.Later when I no longer had that feeling the pics are clear. One night when I was asleep a woman's voice whispered in my ear so loud it woke me up with a start,I can not remember what was said,but it did not scare me. Another night there was a loud pounding, seeming to come from the front walls then ceiling,then down the back wall so ,once again,I was jolted awake.I sat up to see where it was coming from,but it was moving,then faded slowly away .Both of these things happened around 3am on different nights.
We did the ghost tour ,way fun!! A private tour of the Washoe ,A private tour of Pipers Opera house ,which was sort of by accident ,we went on a tour late Sun.and apparently the tour guide never showed up,so John,a local historian,gave us a private tour .After the tour. he played old time music on the piano for us,as he played,I kept seeing something out of the corner of my eye,finally I focused on the stage and one of the stage lights turned on and off.So, I recommend checking that out.We also did the cemetery at night, the train tour, the trolley tour and the stage coach ride.You have to ride the stage coach!! If you go to the visitors center you can get discount tickets for all tours.
The town opens and closes when it feels like it, Really! But there is a 24 hour " bar and casino"a tiny little place you can drink and play a few games past 6pm....
If you love history or want to do one stop shopping ghost hunting,you must go to Virginia City and stay at the Silver Queen.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I just celebrated our twenty year anniversary and we decided we wanted a little adventure. We both had watched the shows on TV that featured the Silver Queen Hotel in Virginia City and remembered that the programs said that the place was haunted so we made mid-week reservation for a stop-over between Vegas and Reno. We got a room above the bar, facing the street. Upon arriving we found the room was very old fashion, comfortable and we felt like we were in the times of the old west.

After our long drive up from Las Vegas we were tired and decided to take forty winks before dinner. During our nap we heard voices of a family, a couple of kids and a woman. We thought nothing of it. We woke, had a great Chinese meal in town, took a stroll up and down the wooden-plank walkways and played at two local casino/bars. Although this was the first time we stayed the night in Virginia City, as in previous visits, we enjoyed ourselves and found the locals very friendly. We walked back across the street, found the Silver Queens bar closed, so after a walk through Silver Queen’s hallways (which were completely quiet and empty and all room’s dark) we returned to our room at midnight.

It wasn’t fifteen minutes after our head hit the pillows when things started happening. We both heard a loud clunk followed by footsteps up and down our hall. Unremarkable perhaps, except as far as we could tell, no one on our floor was awake and the footsteps were clearly on a wood floor and every inch of the hotel is thickly carpeted. I made my husband leave the light on in our room.

Voices, door creaking and a repeat of footsteps continued to keep us awake, yet every time we opened the door the hall was empty and quiet. At about 3:30PM things seemed to quiet down. Taking pity on my poor husband, I got up and turned off our bedroom light. He fell asleep minutes later. I continued to lay awake; the blanket over my head. My last memory before sleep finally found me was of loud boots stomping down the hall, a bang on our door and the door knob jiggling. I didn’t get-up to answer the door. We left early the next morning.. before breakfast.

Latter that day, while eating breakfast in Reno, I called the Silver Queen and spoke to Karen, the hotel’s pleasant bar tender and hotel reservationist. I wanted to let her know that “yes,” like other before us, “we now believe their hotel is haunted.” After hearing about the continued footsteps and door creaking, etc., she told us we were the ONLY people on our floor. I asked about the family that we heard while napping. This seemed to really surprise her. She said that the only child that had been in the hotel the day before was the grandchild of the owner and that child was two—far too young for the voices we heard so very clearly.

Would I stay at the Silver Queen again? Well… it’s been about five days since I was there and I’m still a little freaked-out, however, yes. I got the adventure I hoped for, a wonderful story to tell and a very memorable anniversary!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

Great location, right in the middle of town. No phone, no TV, no problem. Nice staff/bartender. We stayed in room 19, which looks out over 'C" street, the main drag. But whatever you do, don't stay in any room facing "C" Street on Memorial Day Weekend, unless you're partying with the bikers, because there's no sleep to be had until the party's over outside on the streets, and that's sometime in the later wee hours! Aside from that, which I realize was just bad timing, the room was one of the worst we've ever stayed in anywhere. Here's what we got for 80-something dollars: stained, dirty carpet, chipped paint, chairs with torn gaping upholstery, and thin worn-out bedding. None of the foregoing is an exaggeration. We had to put the luggage stand in the window to keep the window from falling shut. Suit yourself, but I'd never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

My mother and I had decided that we were going to go up to VC for the day...we ended up having a few drinks (being local renoites - we know better than to venture back down that hill) Either way, we decided to go to either the "hotel" or the Silver Queen... Being that I majored in history and as I said before, we're locals...we opted for the Silver Queen. At that particular time they had two rooms available...13 and 14 the rest were closed up to be cleaned or already being used by other guests...The people in front of us snatched up room 11. So we thought, hey why not, we'll take 14...which turned out to be the Honeymoon suite..Hahaha.. Anyhow...we ate dinner, then walked to the bar in the downstairs part of the Silver Queen, talked with a few other guests and the bartender..then proceeded to retire for the evening...about 10ish. The stairs ARE challenging at any level of sobriety...or lack there of. We got into our room - I was exhausted and just wanted to lay down...my mom stayed up and watched tv for a bit. She fell asleep shortly before midnight (her words) but that was when we both were awoken. At 12:03 am (cell phone time..no clocks in room) I heard a man and woman arguing. I thought "oh come on" just go in your room and shut up!!! But then I heard what sounded like boots clanking on wooden floors outside our room...Which is odd..as its all carpet.. I opened the door and looked out, and it was like I was imagining everything that had happened...I closed the door shrugged it off, and went back to sleep...only to hear a woman screaming at the top of her lungs for this man to GET AWAY FROM ME!!!! At this point I was like, okay, do we HAVE to hear this all night...I got up once again, walked to the door, and grabbed open as fast as possible...when I noticed that room 11 had their door open as well. The lady looked at me, and asked if I had heard it too? I said, yeah...but thats weird, because it sounded like it was RIGHT outside our door...she agreed...we sat there for a moment slightly confused...both thinking it had to have been the other couple down the hall....Then we heard them coming up the stairs. We both watched them go to their room and said, well see ya again if we hear it... An hour later still awake I heard what sounded like boots again...Realizing I wasn't going to get any sleep that night, I got up and walked over to the door and pressed my ear against it...I heard the man telling the woman something inaudible (probably the door...) then I jerked it open and said CAUGHT...only to see yet again..no one. Thats when I remembered the story of it being "rosie" so I said, Rosie just kick his butt and walk away this time!!! The lady in room 11 started laughing and then said, please do it so we can get some SLEEP! We both went back into our rooms.....and I heard a mans voice say FINE! and that was the end of the noises that night...at least...I didn't awaken to anymore...the following morning all six of us met up for breakfast and exchanged stories of what we heard...all laughing about how weird it was...and that we couldn't have made it up. I can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed May 2008
Pacific Northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

We stayed at the Silver Queen with our teenage son and daughter on our way home from Disneyland. We loved it! The kids - even our video-game addicted son - loved the feeling of living history of the place. Was it old? Yes! Did it have the amenities of a modern hotel? No. But, we wouldn't have stayed there if it had. I don't understand when people complain about not having this or that or complain about the place being old.

It's drafty with thin walls and creaky floors, stairs, and doors. You can hear other people laughing in other rooms and hear footsteps in the hall and on the stairs, but that just adds to the adventure. If you want a TV and a shower or the peace and quiet of a well-insulated room, drive down to Reno and stay in a casino. But if you want to stay somewhere that gives you the feel of how it might have been to stay there 150 years ago, the Silver Queen is the place. At least, you don't have to worry about John Hardin shooting you through the wall for snoring!

• Liked — Feeling like it was 1875
  • Disliked — Can't thing of anything
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Silver Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!