“Excellent place in South Shore Tahoe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ridge Tahoe

Save Saved
You added The Ridge Tahoe to your Saves list
The Ridge Tahoe
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   400 Ridge Club Dr., P.O. Box 5790, Stateline, NV 89449   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Stateline
California
“Excellent place in South Shore Tahoe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have been owners and have visited The Ridge every year for 13 years - always in the winter. This resort has a greal deal to do (indoor/outdoor pool, spa, games, etc) and the people are very firendly and helpful. All the buildings have been recently refurbished and are very roomy. An excellent place to visit and enjoy all the amenities - they have activities for all ages. Every massage therapist is excellent and the prices are similar to other spa facilities.

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Thousand Oaks, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a large 2 BR unit (#1172). This is a top floor location in the Naegle 11 building. There is underground parking and elevator services the units. Inside we found the unit nicely decorated, quite large and had beautiful views. Everything we needed could be found in our unit, from kitchen supplies to floor heaters to humidifiers! When we needed service on our fireplace the engineering was at our door in minutes. Same story for housekeeping. The staff were all professional and very nice. The property has many options, something for everyone. Spa, racketball, full gym, pool and billiard tables, game room, walking trails, tennis and more. We came for skiing, but the outdoor activities, pool and proximity to the lake beaches make this a true 4 seasons vacation choice. The only negative I can comment on is the options for dining. There is only one restaurant and it is only open during the evenng hours. They do have a deli counter that serves all day long. We had breakfast at the deli, and the food was of good quality. We hit some bad weather, making travel at night unappealing, we were excited to see a fine dinning option onsite, but we were not able to enjoy the restaurant as it was booked for a private party each night we stayed at the property. There is no other sit down dining options on the property (Deli offered limited seating) We ended up getting delivery from a local pub, and the food was okay, but not the experience we had hoped for. Overall I would definitely recommend this property! Lots to do for all ages any time of the year!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Auburn, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The condo was large and had a lovely fireplace but needed to be refurbished. Lake Tahoe was not visible from any view and that disappointed me the most. It was winter so most of the outdoor amenities were not open or not condusive to comfort. I would not go back because it was so far from the lake.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2013GMF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Let's be real, this is not a hotel. It's not really a 1 night kind of place, which might throw off some of the employees when they get the one nighter guest. This involves extra cleaning and room attention than what the "owners" (timeshare/vacation rental people) pay for. I'm guessing that the one nighters are getting in through some sort of Expedia type of website. Most people are staying at The Ridge (they have 7 buildings that all share a fantastic clubhouse) are usually members of some sort of timeshare or vacation rental program and stay for 3 or more nights at a time.
We booked through our timeshare program Diamond Resorts (LOVE IT!! email me about it because we get referral bonuses!) We requested a 2BR Lock Off. What this means is that the property has a 1BR side with a living room, full kitchen, eating area and a bathroom, WITH A DOOR that LOCKS that leads to the (Insert Bed size/s) suite. So, if you do not request the entire area, YES, you'll have neighbors, literally on the other side of the door. This bothers some people. I don't care. I've been on one side, and we've booked the entire area. We always have a good time.
So, we booked a quickie getaway to The Ridge - Ridge Pointe building, 2BR Lock Off. When we arrived (4pm check in/10am check out w/ a $20/hr you're late checking out), we went to the Club House to check in, because THAT'S WHERE YOU SHOULD CHECK IN. You can check in at your actual building, but I see a lot of complaints from people going that route. I saved our family the drama. Liz was at the counter. She was AWESOME!! She was so patient with the older couple before us and then sped up the check in schpeel for us, but still came across friendly, understanding and happy that we chose to stay at The Ridge. There was a change made to our location. My first thought was, no biggie. Just hoping we were still getting a 2BR Lock Off. Holy smokes! This wasn't just a change in location, but a free upgrade. She wasn't sure what happened or why, but told us that we'd be staying at The Cascade now and our room was the Emerald Retreat. We did not google anything but The Ridge Pointe, so now my husband, 2 teen daughters and I did not know what to expect. But, we were in Tahoe, so who cares. We were there to relax and kickback with what would hopefully be a nice view from the room.
We went up a pretty steep driveway to park in the 1/2 underground garage. It was a small garage with some double deep parking for guests with more than one vehicle to their group. There were carts for our luggage right across from the entrance to the Ground Level elevator. We got our stuff, went inside where we were greeted by A LOT of ski lockers, then we took a sort of slow elevator ride to the 4th floor where we easily found our rooms 4209 and 4210. Our keycards worked fine, the entire time.
Inside our space we found it to be clean. Everything was accounted for on the Room Items List. There was excellent cell service and for Verizon users, there was pretty good service for the laptop we brought, although not enough service to stream movies. The 1BR side had a king Sleep Number bed. Having a Tempur-pedic at home, I was curious how a Sleep Number would feel. Didn't care for it. The bed felt like a waterbed, only it was air. I would lean my shoulder in on one area and the air bed went up, everywhere else. I'm not a heavy set person, but I could see where bigger people would not find this comfy at all. The bedding was regular bedding you'd find at Comfort Inn, Holiday Express, Residence Inn and the like. I'm guessing a 600-800 thread count, cotton. The towels are not that big, maybe 4 ft. long and 2 ft. wide. They were not the super absorbent kind.
The kitchen was fully stocked with 24 glasses, many things to eat off of, silverware, coffee mugs, cooking ware, some serving dishes, a measuring cup, etc. There was even a drawer with some placemats. The stove was clean, the oven was almost a full size, the microwave was standard sized and there were a few small appliances like a coffee maker (NO coffee/tea/hot cocoa or additives), toaster, blender and an electric can opener. The dishwasher is an older model, very basic so we rinsed all of our dishes off and let the dishwasher sanitize everything. Dishwasher powder packets were found under the sink, along with a new sponge, Palmolive dish soap, a trashcan with an extra bag, and paper towels with an extra roll. The full size, 2 door fridge and freezer were clean and the ice didn’t taste funny.
Moving along into the living room, there were two, 3 seat couches. One turned into a bed, which we did not use. The LED tv was nice and large. In a little space by the fire place, was a little desk and lamp.
The 2 person dry sauna was in the hallway on the way to the bathroom. It heated up in about 20 minutes and was enjoyed by the teenagers. The bathroom was well equipped with towels. But, there was no shampoo, conditioner, bath bubbles, or shower gel. There were 2 rounds of soap and plastic wrapped cups. The jetted tub and glass shower were clean. Not one hair spotted. The only real complaint I have about the bathroom, is where to hang so many towels! My husband and I did not need but 2 bars to hang our towels, but with so many available, I figured some parties are larger than ours. Where would they hang their stuff up? There were 2 racks, if I recall and 1 above the toilet, so that's only going to hold short things.
There was a small balcony with a small 4 top table and 4 chairs. There was also a gas grill, piped in. Nice. But, you can't sit out there with 4 people. Someone will be stuck in the corner, someone else will be stuck next to the grill and the other two will have a gorgeous view.

On the King Suite side...it has its own entrance door, but from our 1BR side, there's the divider door. Looks like a regular door, but with a lock on it. There's a big bathroom with a big tub on one side, a glassed in shower on the other and the back wall has the toilet and double sinks.
The bedroom had King size Sleep Number. One child thought it was okay, the other who normally sleeps on a mattress with a tempur-pedic topper didn't care for the Sleep Number. The 3 seat couch opened up to a bed, which was not used. There was a good size TV sitting on top of the dresser. A small desk and chair was in the corner and there was a well stocked little counter area. It had a coffee maker, a small dorm sized fridge, kitchenware, a sink and a microwave. This room felt like a hotel room. There was no balcony or patio.

Across from our place was the laundry facility room. It's free. The machines were standard size.

The floors are like apartments. You can hear the people or in our case, the children above us. They were up until midnight, running around, my girls said.

Indoor and Outdoor spas on the 6th floor were nice. In fact, the indoor spa is on a raised floor, with windows you can see out of for a beautiful view. The room has A/C running in it, so the windows aren't fogged up and the room is comfortable.

Back at the Club house is where a lot of the stuff is. The small restaurant, a little store, the racquetball courts, the spa, small business center with 3 or 4 internet access computers, pool (indoor/outdoor), outdoor tennis courts, ping pong tables, gender specific saunas, work out room, and other stuff I might be missing. A small bus will take you to other buildings in The Ridge. You just have to call. The wait is about 5 minutes, I hear.

The roads and weather were clear, Thanksgiving 2013. However, I could see where the roads could be icey in the morning before the sun hits the driveway/roads. I would suggest a 4WD. Some of the roads are steep.

The staff we encountered were all pleasant.

I did not see any controls for A/C. From the complaints I read, I guess it’s heating up in Tahoe during the summers. A lot of homes in that area do not have A/C, so this is not out of the ordinary for Tahoe.

The gas fire place worked fine. The floor board heaters worked fine. We like our bedroom cold, so we cracked the balcony door.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We are avid skiiers with season passes to Heavenly, The Ridge at Tahoe is our "go to" place to stay. We have been returning here for many years as the location cannot be beat for skiing, views, and spa facilities. There are some really good things about The Ridge and some less than stellar things. This is a great spot for couples, friends, or families.

First the good:

Location, skiing, exercise/steam/swim facilities are all excellent. Spa Services are almost excellent, but need a little more privacy when heading to rooms, and a view for relaxing pre- and apres- spa. Service, movies for kids, rentals and non-ski fun is very good.

If you are skiing Heavenly this location cannot be beat. Views of Nevada, the mountain and the Lake are stunning from the Ridge. Some views are not great - ask for views of Nevada as you are on top of the ridge and will see the entire valley falling away before you and the mountains in the distance. My favorite spot.

Skiing: Situated just above the Stagecoach lift, you can ski down or take the small funicular that connects Ridge guests to the Stagecoach Lodge. FANTASTIC snow sports.

Spa/Exercise Facilities: Spa/Massage/Facials I have had them all and love them. The tea/waiting area is small but quiet, with no view. The therapists are wonderful (only one was not very good - but that was several years ago). BEST thing here is the huge steam rooms in the Lodge separated by gender. WOW! Great steam area, changing areas, showers, access to large indoor / outdoor pools, hot tubs, weight rooms with stunning views. This is a great spot for non-skiiers and skiiers alike. They also have pool tables, squash/raquet ball and basketball.

NEGATIVES: The fancy food is not great - they could really use a better restaurant. I can always find fairly good lunch food, but the fine dining restaurant is not amazing. Some of the rooms have poor views - not many but ask. Nevada views are awesome. If you want to see the ski slopes - ask for that. Rooms are assigned at check-in, but you can make requests. Beds/comfort - some beds are good, but most are average, bedding is not a priority so don't set expectations high for sheets and blankets. Bedding is an area they don't value highly. Cooking facilities are fair, but shopping for good ingredients happens at Lake level, so get it done BEFORE you come up the mountain.

Room Tip: Ask for the following: views of Nevada, in room laundry.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Ridge Tahoe is a nice hotel/resort/time share. We owned here years ago and sold due to the annual mantaince escalations... but the property is very well kept, and in a nice location if you want to be "on top" of everything. The Resort has its own restaurant and lounge (The Hungry Bear) and the food was great, but not real happy about the bar service. Teh bartender was holding a little personal meeting at the end of the bar with friends and couldn;t be bothered to attend to empty glasses... its a shame ine person/staff can make the entire review negative.. but other than that, the other staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Our friend owns a timeshare here. We needed a hotel room for one night while passing through the Tahoe area. Our friend suggested we rent a hotel room at the Ridge. Let me start off by saying that we will NEVER return!

When I called and made reservations, I was not told that hotel guests need to check in at the club house. We arrived at night and saw a sign that said "check in." Finding a parking stall was difficult and it was VERY dark. The check in "room" was located on the 3rd floor of a building. When we checked in, we were told that we did NOT have a reservation. I told the women that I would get my email to prove to her we did. When I said that, she said, "Oh. I see your reservation. You are staying in another part of the property. Go to the club house."

When we arrived at the clubhouse, we were "greeted" by the front desk clerk. She was very nice until she looked at our reservation. Suddenly both her body language and voice tone changed. With a snobby tone she said, "You're only staying here one night?" When we replied yes, she made a little face and her previously friendly attitude disappeared with apathetic snobbery. She gave us no help and I had to ask questions to get basic information.

She then told us to go to the concierge to pick up our parking pass. We turned around to see the concierge about 10 feet away. When we got to the desk of the concierge, we were greeted with a huge smile. The woman looked up our reservation and what was her response? A cool, "You're only staying here for one night?" Her friendly attitude disappeared. It became obvious that Ridge employees were having a problem with our one-night stay. It became obvious that the concierge was also a snob. When I inquired about the local restaurant, The Chart House, I asked the concierge what kind of food they served. She said, "Steaks and seafood." And then, in a condescending tone she said, "Just so you know, it's an expensive restaurant." (BTW...we ate dinner there and had lobster. It was NOT that expensive!)

Even though it was really, really cold outside, the room was roasting hot at night and there was no air conditioning. We left the window open and fan running all night and we still couldn't get cooled off. We slept very little.

The room was not cleaned well, the sheets had stains and the sleep number bed kept changing the firmness during the night on one side of the bed. Not a comfortable room.

We own a timeshare in Incline Village. Our friends have been talking to us about buying into a second timeshare at the Ridge. We were seriously considering it and that was one reason we spent the night there. We will never buy a timeshare or stay at the Ridge again. If employees have a problem with people spending one night there, then the Ridge either needs to train their employees to check their attitude at the door or the Ridge needs to stop renting out rooms for the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ridge Tahoe? Share your experiences!