“Not the Ritz but the bed was awesome!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ridge Tahoe

You added The Ridge Tahoe to your Saves list
The Ridge Tahoe
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   400 Ridge Club Dr., P.O. Box 5790, Stateline, NV 89449   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Stateline
Gainesville, Florida
“Not the Ritz but the bed was awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our first visit to Tahoe was a delight for many reasons. Heavenly ski resort is an exciting 2 state ski experience with great snow and photo perfect views. Our lodging at the Ridge was comfortable and conveinent. We stayed in the one bedroom condo "The Plaza" building with two parking garages and walking distance from a small flight of stairs to your free ski shuttle bus and blue bus into the village. They have one lift access(Stagecoach) close by this property that connects to all others. Our accomodations were very clean and appointed with every need for our ski vacation. Yes, there is a hair dryer. The kitchen was a bit dated but well equipped and in great condition. The living room was large (flat screen too) and gas fireplace very easy to use. Four stars for the sleep number bed however the pillow were horrible. NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: get new pillows! We were situated on the ground floor; very conveinent but we would not open our drapes because of the less than private views of parking and walkways. I would ask for upper level units so you can have some privacy and nice scenery.The staff was always helpful and attentive. I would give this place another go. Heavenly Resort is really heavenly and the entire Tahoe area is too.

Room Tip: At The Plaza:Avoid rooms on the lower floors unless your room has views into Carson Valley. Upper fl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed for three nights as regular hotel guests (not timeshare owners) in a package that included "3rd night free/2-day lift tickets for two". Here are my impressions:

PROS:
-Private resort gondola to the Stagecoach lift. If you are there to ski, this is awesome.
-Jacuzzi-jet bathtub in our room. If you are there to ski, this also is awesome.
-Free BlueGo bus from the resort into town and to the Heavenly Village gondola
-On-site ski rental ($$$ than in-town, but you're paying for convenience - just make sure you ask for regular performance skis, not pricier demos)
-The pizza from the Deli was big enough for dinner and 2 breakfasts for two people
-Mini-fridge and microwave in the room
-Romantic gas fireplace
-Beautiful views of the Nevada-side canyon

CONS:
-No coffeemaker in our room, not even packets of instant to heat up in the microwave. Which means if you prefer coffee in your room before facing the day, you have to trek down to the deli and buy it at resort prices.
-No travel-sized shampoos/conditioners provided, only soap - even though this (and the coffee maker) is an amenity provided by every motel from La Jolla to Bar Harbor....
-No personal climate control in the room - the automatic heat setting makes the air very dry, so run your shower to get moisture in the air or you will wake up in the middle of the night overheated.
-The Hungry Bear restaurant advertised on their website is only open Thursday through Sunday nights, and nowhere does it say that until you are physically there looking at the menu placard; we arrived on a Monday and left on a Thursday morning, and so only had either their Deli or to go into town. We were looking forward to a nice restaurant experience we didn't have to travel to, and were disappointed.
-My husband left a message for the concierge trying to confirm shuttle service to the gondola; the call was never returned by any staffer, and when he went down to the lobby at 10am, the concierge desk was empty, even though the ski lifts open at 9am.
-The resort upgraded their computer system between the time we booked and when we arrived several weeks later; our reservation number was completely changed, and they almost couldn't find us or our lift tickets in the system.

BE AWARE:
The door locks that use those magnetized cards are powered by batteries; our door's batteries failed, and my husband got locked out of the room when his keycard didn't work, and the front desk's replacement keycard also didn't work. The front desk had to call technicians, who needed two trips to fix the door and our keycards.
Noise travels easily between rooms, and there doesn't seem to be a "Quiet Time" policy posted. Our room adjoined a suite next door via a locked door, and the piercing voices of the small children of the couple next door came through loud and clear at both 10:15pm and 8am. My husband is a light sleeper, and even the smack of the complimentary paper against our door at 6am woke him up.
If you take the shuttle from the resort down into Stateline but elect to take a taxi back (or have to), it'll run you about $23 (as of time of this writing).

On the whole, we had a terrific time skiing, but were not completely satisfied with the hotel's amenities; the next time we go to Tahoe, we will explore other places to stay, since there are so many offering discount packages with lift tickets included.

Room Tip: Tower Building: the 3rd floor is the garage and 4th is the lobby floor, so pick 5th floor and higher...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My family of four (kids 7, 10) enjoyed The Ridge property during our last stay over winter vacation. The rooms were spacious, clean, well kept and had all we needed for a comfortable stay. The location was great if you want to ski at Heavenly, especially the Stagecoach/Nevada side. The only complaint we had was the ski in/ski out feature which was a big bust. It was faster to drive to the convenient Stagecoach parking lot, than walk or wait for shuttle. The steep stairs down were enough to wear all of us out before we started. The shuttle ran frequently and the parking garages were open and convenient. During the snow the plow trucks were working full time. We usually stay at Timberlodge and this was a very nice alternative. I would stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of ski lift.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our stay at the Ridge Tahoe was part of a large group trip. As I did none of the planning, I had no expectations, but was very pleasantly surprised when I opened the door to our suite in the Cascade building. The living space which includes an open (and fully stocked) kitchen and dining room is large, the bedroom is on the smaller side (not that it matters), and the bathroom is huge and includes a large jacuzzi tub.
If you plan to ski at Heavenly, the hotel is perfectly located. We cross country skiied, so unfortunately we needed to get down to the lake and felt stuck without a car. Each trip entailed about a $25/one way cab ride.

Wann, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Ridge and learned a lot that might be helpful for those of you considering a visit. There are a lot of comments on the site about rooms needing updating. Know that the Ridge Onwership is doing quite a bit in this area. We were able to tour all of the buildings this trip (we have owned there for years and only ever stayed in the cascades). The Nagles and the Tower are all updated and are georgeous! The Plaza is next to be updated followed by the Cascades. I am not yet sure I would prefer to stay anywhere else besides the Cascades. I am so sorry for those guests who had issues with the snow plows and the noise, we didn't experience that all in the cascades. What i love about the cascades is the bathrooms, yes the bathrooms. The Master Bath has a large Spa tub that is a wonderful addition to a great resort stay, while the other buildings had nice bathrooms they did not compare to the bathrooms in the cascades. Disadvantage in the Cascades to the other buildings.. all the other units in the other buildings have their own washer and dryer we do not have this in the cascades, there is one washer and dryer per floor to be shared by all guests (resorts west it would be good to add washer and dryer to the units in the cascades). I love the Spa on the top floor you have great views with an indoor spa and an outdoor spa. Great in Winter and in Spring and Summer great place to barbeque. All two bedroom suites regardless of building have fully stocked kitchen supplies. The resort has invested in great tv and sound systems to make your stay a little more pleasurable. Ample space in the dining/ front room for a large party to enjoy a night of conversation, card playing or movie watching. The jury is still out for me on all the sleep number beds. For those folks who were concerned about walking around the resort know that there are shuttles that will happily run you all over the resort making it easy to get from your building to the clubhouse or the gondola. Covered parking garages for all buildings. Ski Storage in all buildings. For those of you who have had issues with the front desk staff let management know while you are at the resort so they can do something to improve your experience. I have found that the management team is eager to please so give them a chance to turn things around for you. I love the Spa service although I didn't care too much for walking through the gym in my robe to get my massage, I don't ever remember having to do that before. The indoor.outdoor pool is nice, small but adequte for lap swimming. The views can't be beat! I would highly recommend the Ridge for a week or just a couple days.

Room Tip: Cascades are furthest from Clubhouse but has regular shuttle, have the best bathrooms, no washer and...
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed with some friends in the Cascade building during their timeshare week. The room was warm, spacious and well stocked with our needs for the week (plates, cups, tp, etc). We had a full kitchen that we shared and each room had a king size sleep number bed. The parking area was covered (thank goodness). It's conveniently located next to the Stagecoach lift. The skiers in my party used the gondola that The Ridge has that will take people to Stagecoach. My hubs doesn't recommend using it, as it was slow and got stuck on the way down. They said it was just easier to use The Ridge shuttle or to walk. The staff were very accommodating during our stay. One skier tore her ACL and they were kind enough to deliver a wheelchair that she could use. I do recommend asking for a humidifier if you're not use to the dry air. They do charge for the wifi, but if you are there for the full week, $20 isn't bad. The bar area is nice and relaxing. The work-out area is average, but if more than 10 people want to exercise at the same time, the space is pretty crowded. The spa is nice, but mediocre. I enjoyed my massage and she did a great job, but take advantage of the specials that they run. If ever in the area again, I would stay here.

Room Tip: Be prepared to listen to snow plows all night if staying in the Cascade during the winter.
Antioch, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at The Ridge Tahoe in the Plaza building 1/18-21. Overall we had a good stay, however the rooms and the building over all could use an update. We were in a two bedroom suite and the room size was great. There was more than enough room for my two year old and nine month old to run around and play. The Sleep Number beds were very comfortable and if you plan to ski at Heavenly you can't beat the location. The full kitchen was also a plus.

Now for the few negatives. The decor and overall feel of the place was dated. Although everything worked fine, you can tell that this place hasn't been updated in about 10 years. Also, housekeeping could do a better job. We found lots of areas that hadn't seen a duster in a while.
We also found that many of the employees here seem to be a bit aloof. From check in, to check out we had issues with the front desk. I had to call back 3 times to ask for an 11:00 check out (one hour later than usual) because no one could give me a straight answer.

Also PLEASE READ THE SMALL SIGN AT THE FRONT DESK REGARDING CHARGES!!!! We used our Debit card to hold for incidentals and after checking out realized that my card had been run daily for different amounts. Why, I'm still not sure since we didn't charge ANYTHING to our room, made no calls, or did anything that would warrant these charges. Total room cost for the 3 days should have been $472 but my card was run for nearly $800. I now have to wait to see when these "pending" charges will be released, which I'm told could take up to 30 days! Not happy about this at all, but apparently it's my fault for not reading the finely printed sign at the front desk. I truly believe this is something that should be explained to guests upon check in, as one could easily miss it at the front desk.

Now that I'm more aware of what to expect, I'll be better prepared my next trip. Request to stay in a building that's been recently updated (last 10 years), like the Cascade building and only use a credit card to check in! Overall we had a decent stay at the Ridge and I would consider staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Cascade building or one that has been recently updated.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stateline
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 8 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 stars 1,331 reviews
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe
Marriott Grand Residence Club Ta...
#8 of 71 in South Lake Tahoe
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#20 of 71 in South Lake Tahoe
4.0 of 5 stars 299 reviews

Been to The Ridge Tahoe? Share your experiences!