“Excellent restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
California
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We look forward to eating at the Hungry Bear restaurant every trip to the Ridge. We love the quality and presentation of the food. The service is always perfect. The special sugar snap dessert is awesome! The current chef (Stephan) will do special requests as best he can and the main menu has something for everyone... red meat to vegetarian.

• Visited December 2013

Los Gatos
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have been going to the Ridge for eight years as an owner and have never eaten at the Hungry Bear. We are usually here during the off peak season and usually the restaurant is open only a couple of the days we are here. Our introduction to the Hungry Bear started on Tuesday afternoon when my wife signed up for a cooking class with the head chef . My wife and six others had an extraordinary afternoon learning many of the nuances of preparing and serving healthy and delicious meals. After the class I joined the participants for a meal prepared by Stephen. It was wonderful. We decided to go to a special "Oktoberfest" 3 course special the next evening. The four of us had pork schnitzel and baked Dijon salmon entrees that were all excellent. I've had many schnitzel entrees throughout Germany and thought this topped the best of them. Included was a herb spaetzle that was also delicious. The most surprising part for me was the braised red cabbage (don't really like cabbage at all) that I really enjoyed. The last course was, of course, a wonderful Black Forest cake that was also one of the best I have had. The service was excellent all evening and we all felt it was a very memorable meal. Loved the ambiance and the views from the restaurant. We have eaten at most of the top rated restaurants in the Tahoe area and felt the two meals at the Hungry Bear were among the best meals we have had in Tahoe. Will definitely be eating here again.

• Visited October 2013
Austin, Texas
“Surprisingly god for a resort restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is part of The Ridge Resort and in October 2013 is only open 1-2 evenings per week. So be sure to make a reservation because the food is excellent and the service is superb. I had a sea bass dish that was delicious. Don't miss this place

Visited October 2013
“Excellent food with good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After a long da traveling from the east coast (getting up a the insane hour of 4:00, which I think shoukd be illegal, we arrived at our condo at the Rdge Tahoe, got settled in a bit and decided we did not want to go all over searching for a place to eat. We did not read any reviews, we were just hungry.

My gosh, who would have expected this very elegant restaurant in a ski resort! The menu looked great (it is not cheap) but you can certainly see how they can get these prices. Each table has fresh roses and there is wonderful, live, piano music!

My husband was talked into the lobster bisque "special" soup; I got the roasted beers and feta cheese salad and we both got the grilled trout, served over yam with a wonderful butter (lemon?) sauce.

The service was impeccable. David quickly took our drink orders and made recommendations and then told us that the trout, which we had already decided on, was the chef's specialty.

My salad was scrumptious and I can say without equivocation that my trout was the best I had ever had.

We will be here for a week so I think it is quite likely we will return. It is a bit expensive. With what I mentioned above, one beer and one diet coke, the bill was $78 plus then the tip, bringing total to almost $100. But it was worth it so we had no complaints. I highly recommend if you are in this area.

• Visited January 2013
San Jose, California
“great hang out near The Ridge resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is where the locals hang and you can hang out at the bar or have their great BBQ. Very casual and 'hang out' feeling.

Visited November 2012