“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hertfordshire
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here one night in April, we got a great deal and paid only £56, what a bargain, the room was large, with TWO full bathrooms, seating area, large screen TV, coffee maker and toiletries, plus an amazing view from the window, we were well away from the lifts and had no problem with noise. We ate in the buffet restaurant and asked for a window seat, which the server very kindly helped with ( by removing a reserved sign), I could have sat there all night, the view was breathtaking, the food was good too!! Unfortunately the buffet didn't open for breakfast while we were there. Disappointed that they charged for wi-fi $10.95.The casino was clean and there were plenty of attentive cocktail waitresses.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
La Habra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I would give 5 stars for this hotel given the location (proximity to shops/gambling/skiing) and nicely updated furnished rooms. We stayed on the 13th floor (room 1338) and had a view of the lake. BUT: the noise in the rooms was really bad - i could hear people above me walking around until midnight and people coming/going next door - probably worse than i have ever experienced at any hotel in recent memory! Plus we had to pay a $20 "resort fee" per night - for what?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

It's no Ritz, but for a mountain/lake town, Harrah's Tahoe has some pretty nice rooms.
I stayed midweek (Tuesday-Thursday), comp'd for my addiction to gambling with my Total Rewards card. Stateline / South Lake Tahoe is a fairly easy one hour(ish) drive from the Reno-Tahoe airport.
The location of Harrah's is excellent - amongst the 4 hotel/casinos and quick walking distance to the gondolas & resort area of Heavenly. Bars, restaurants, skiing, bicycling, hiking, and even beaches beckon you from your room. Oh yeah, gambling too.
The rooms here are pretty big. Mine was an executive king. Most of their rooms are the same size - just different furnishings. Rooms also have 2 bathrooms - 1 is a 3-piece with shower stall, the other is 4-piece with tub/shower combo. Being solo, it was wasted space. I imagine the extra bathroom would be great for couples and especially for small families or groups of friends.
On a suggestion, I asked for a room on the southern/CA side. I have no idea what the view is on the other side, but where i was the view was awesome! Heavenly ski resort to the left, and Lake Tahoe to the right.
The only downsides:
1. The corridors are LOUD. Somehow the noise outside of the room is amplified inside the room. Constant banging of doors and hearing loud conversations nearly drove me mad. Had to roll up a towel to put one the floor to block the gap at the threshold.
2. The resort is showing its age (as are most of the patrons). I imagine building supplies are not abundant and pretty expensive to bring in though.
Still, it's a pretty darn good resort.

• Stayed April 2013
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the best of the 4 hotels right at the Nevada state line. It's nice to be able to take the elevator to the casino instead of a cab. Well appointed rooms with 2 bathrooms so it's easy for couples to get ready for the evening. Sorry to see coffee only in the mini bar for purchase. Also a surcharge for internet, gym, pool and other. Glad to see free valet parking still.

Room Tip: Ask for highest floor with lake veiw
Chico, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK, the ride up Highway 50 is much better than it used to be. Only the last 40 miles are windy roads and there are idiots who feel the need to tailgait you as you drive the posted speeds. I still hate the drive, but coming up to Tahoe every once in a while let's you forgive that rough drive. Tahoe is just beautiful. A must for everyone too see.

I booked Harrah's on Bookit.com. Got a good price. The parking is very good and spacious. Got my reservations to check in. The young lady working at the counter said, "Because you booked the room thru a 3rd party, we are adding an additional $22.00 to your room. WHAT? Bookit may have said that, but I didn't see it. I spoke to my co-workers who stay in Vegas and Reno and this is the NEW SCAM that the Casino hotels are doing. My co-worker book straight thru a Casino and still added "a Resort Fee".

The "Resort Fee' is the NEW SCAM BY HOTEL CASINO's. Some hotels are not doing this.Unfortunate, Harrahs' is not one of them. ASK any Casino hotel is they are charging this and they have to tell you. If you don't, they ambush you as check in. A giant thumbs down to you Harrahs on this aspect. They mask it for saying it is for Wifi, gym, and pool fee. SCAMMERS.

The room they gave me was fabulous, a luxury room with two bathrooms. Very nice. A nice view, but I think other rooms have better views. We were happy. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. Loved it and recommend it.

The Casino itself is not very impressive for a Nevada standard. Thunder Valley casino in Lincoln, CA is easily better and so is gold country (30 minutes away for me) in Oroville, CA. The staff was good. I thought the drinks were watered down a bit.

The 18th floor where the Steak House and the Buffet has the amazing view of Tahoe. Amazing. I did not go to the steak house. You know it is expensive when they show the menu with no prices. The buffet was expensive, but that is what you are going to pay ($31 dinner buffet) when you have a beautiful view. I thought the food was OK, not great. I understand they have gotten rave reviews in the past. So maybe (it was there on a Friday night) the food was just off night or maybe the food quality has gone down from the good ol days.

Had breakfast downstairs at the River Cafe. Again, nothing to get excited about. Good at best. Very nice ambiance though. They definetly re-designed the place from the last time I was there.

We checked in late and i asked for a late check out, most casinos give you another hour or two, but Harrahs requires "ADDITIONAL FEE for Late Check out".

Honestly, I think they need to remodel Harrah's and get their food where it once was. The California Indian Casino's are getting better in every aspect. Reno and Tahoe held all the cards for decades of the only gambling for California. Harrah's need to step it up and not just count on the lake for claim for excellence.

A time share is starting to look good and try a different hotel that is not a casino.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I needed a 2 night get away from Sonoma county- having not done the regular Vegas trek this year, we decided to venture up to Tahoe for a quicker and cheaper fix. We stayed at Harrahs both nights without complaint. We had a spacious king (with 2 bathrooms?). Comfortable bed, clean linens. True, no complimentary coffee in the room but I started the day with a Bloody Mary anyway, working my way to the Starbucks in the lobby. Just as easy. Back to the room- no microwave or fridge, but as we had two bathrooms, we utilized one of the sinks as a cooler- filled it with ice and threw some beers and waters in there. A cheaper option than the casino bar. All in all- the room filled its purpose, comfy, clean and roomy. The casino isn't Vegas calibur, but, you're not in Vegas. You're in Tahoe, Vegas' cousin. Staff was friendly, attentive and drink service was prompt. Neither of us are seasoned or savy gamblers, but the table staff were happy and willing to teach the game and exercise patience! Lots of nice patrons that weekend who we were happy to meet. More points: food court- limited options but really yummy greasy pizza which was hangover worthy. Pool/hot tub- a haven for kids but what else do you expect at a family casino/hotel? Clean. Restaurants- we didn't explore the nicer dining options at Harrahs as the buffet had some odd hours, but we had a lovey and pricey dinner next door at Harvey's 19th kitchen, and lunch at their Hard Rock Cafe. Not bad.
We will return for another weekend, and hope our luck at 3 card poker improves.

• Stayed April 2013
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stay 1 night on this past Easter Sunday when we visited South Lake Tahoe. Covered garaged parking is for valet parking but still plenty of uncovered surface parking around the hotel..never have problem finding a parking lot. Received a 2 queen beds with a lake view if you look toward the right side of the window. 2 bathrooms but we only used 1 of them to shower. Someone mentioned about an additional unit of fridge in the room but I don't see one except the automated fridge that charged drinks. NOT HAPPY with the $20 resort fee and they refused to waive as I DID NOT USE any of the amenities: in room internet access for 1 device, gym, swimming pool. Guess this is how the casinos passing their cost to maintain the amenities to us customers. NOT IMPRESSED WITH THIS CASINO HOTEL, NOTHING TO RAVE ABOUT NOR BAD TO SAID EXCEPT THE RESORT FEE that should be waived when guests DID NOT USE IT!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!